Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:37 AM   #1
zooby
macrumors 6502

Warm screen vs yellow screen

I upgraded from an iPhone 4S to an iPhone 5 last week and I immediately noticed that the screen was much warmer. Then again, my iPhone 4S was much warmer than my iPhone 4. I looked this up and found that this was a common issue with the iPhone 5 and that any form of 'yellow' should be returned immediately. However, many said that this was the glue that needed to dry up, so I gave it a few days and imo - it isn't as yellow as when I first got it, but it still seems a BIT warm/yellow compared to my sister's iPhone 5.

So to keep it short - what is considered a warm screen and what is considered a *yellow* defective screen? Is there anything I can compare it to or any way to know if it is a defective yellow screen? I tried using Color Profiles, is this a good enough solution? My phone has no scratches or other defects so I'd hate for the screen to be defective. But most seem to say that all iPhone 5s have a warmer tone ... I just need to know how warm is too warm.

Example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmTBV9H7dbA
zooby is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:38 AM   #2
chambone
macrumors 6502a

It's hard to tell by just eyeballing it or comparing it to other phones, of which many are way too blue anyway. If you compare it to a laptop or desktop computer screen you might even find that those are warmer still. One thing you can try is take pictures and see how they look compared to the real thing.
chambone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:54 AM   #3
SanjeevRana
macrumors 6502a

Of all the iPhone 5's I have had in my hand (12-13) ALL Black Variants have warmer screen and ALL white ones had neutral (better IMO) tones ...
2 x iPhone4S 64G iPad2 64GB Black iPad3 32GB White
SanjeevRana is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:09 AM   #4
Spidder
macrumors member

I have a yellow/greenish screen tint too, but there is a 3-step workaround:

1. Jailbreak
2. Download 'Color Profiles'
3. Manually adjust Color Temperature, Gamma und White Levels until you're satisfied. It will take a while, but it pays!

I have a georgous screen now, with perfect whites and amazing colors. You can tell the difference by a mile and you won't get such a screen out of the box, no matter how often you exchange!

PS: There are no yellowish 'defective' screens. Every single screen has a more or less different screen tone. You can get rid of the yellowish/greenish tone by adjusting the second slider (RGB -> 1. Red, 2. Green, 3. Blue) at Gamma and White levels in Color Profiles.

Last edited by Spidder; Feb 17, 2013 at 08:20 AM.
Spidder is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:50 PM   #5
bushman4
macrumors 65816

While must of us are used to the blueish tint from the Iphone 4 & 4S the Iphone 5 has more of a yellowish tint. Takes some getting used to but it looks fine.
In any case, when I first got my Iphone5 I went to three different Apple stores and compared the color to those they have. They all have the same yellowish tint.
there has been several threads on this before.
bushman4 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:01 PM   #6
cruzmisl
macrumors regular

I've seen plenty of white iphone 5s with warm/yellow screens. Luck of the draw. Nothing to do with the exterior color of the phone.
cruzmisl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:28 PM   #7
koigirl
macrumors 6502a

My thought is that if you have a bad screen worth exchanging, you will notice it and it will bother you without having to compare it to another device. I had to return several iPad 3's to get one without uneven screen or dingy tint. But I could see the tinting when I first took them out of the box and powered up. But the screens definitely come with some variety as to tint, maximum brightness, etc. You could drive yourself (and Apple) crazy looking for the ultimate perfect screen. QC should be better and more consistent but it's not. It's a huge company with lots of production partners and parts suppliers.
koigirl is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:55 AM   #8
syd430

If your iPhone 5 looks like the one in the video, then i'd say that you are worrying over nothing. I would personally prefer the iPhone 5 in that video.

Also, please see my post here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...1#post16267841
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:35 PM   #9
zooby
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushman4 View Post
While must of us are used to the blueish tint from the Iphone 4 & 4S the Iphone 5 has more of a yellowish tint. Takes some getting used to but it looks fine.
In any case, when I first got my Iphone5 I went to three different Apple stores and compared the color to those they have. They all have the same yellowish tint.
The odd thing is that when I compare it to my sister's iPhone 5 (same color and storage space), mine has a more yellow tint.
zooby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:59 PM   #10
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

A warm-ish hue is suppose to be easier on the eyes, so they say.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:01 AM   #11
Myiphone7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushman4 View Post
Mines a blue tint. Other fam has warm.
Myiphone7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:09 AM   #12
AFDoc
macrumors 68000

Not sure why we have to have one of these threads every few weeks when someone upgrades their device. It's well known different screens manufactured at different times even on the same line will look different. Not thread worthy anymore for sure.
AFDoc is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 03:04 AM   #13
sphumi
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDoc View Post
Not sure why we have to have one of these threads every few weeks when someone upgrades their device. It's well known different screens manufactured at different times even on the same line will look different. Not thread worthy anymore for sure.
at least help him out... is it a defect or not? is there a fix?
sphumi is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 09:48 PM   #14
zooby
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDoc View Post
I know that... but I have people telling me that a yellow screen is a defect and others that tell me that it's normal, so I want to know what to compare my iPhone to.

Isn't that why people come here - for help? Nothing helpful came out of your reply.
zooby is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone