Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Home-My-Music-Google-Play.jpg
Google is in negotiations with music publishers to develop a Spotify-esque subscription streaming music service for its Android operating system, reports The Wall Street Journal.

Currently, Google has a scan-and-match music service like iTunes Match, as well as an Android-focused music download store.
Google Inc.'s Android unit has been negotiating with music companies to start a paid subscription music-streaming service akin to Spotify AB, according to people familiar with the matter.

Separately, Google's YouTube video website is trying to obtain licenses from music labels to start a paid subscription service for music videos and potentially also for audio-only songs, these people said.
There have been rumors for nearly five years about Apple developing a subscription music service, though more recently reports have surfaced that Apple is aiming to release its service sometime in 2013.

Bloomberg reported in October that Apple was aiming for a first quarter launch, but record labels have suggested that negotiations were hung up over licensing fees.

Article Link: Google Working on Subscription-Based Streaming Music Service

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
In before someone tries to say that Google is just copying Apple.

Note that they obviously can't be copying Apple (yet) because Apple hasn't actually released any such service. Were Google to roll out such a service, it would, however, be appropriate to say that they're copying others, such as Spotify, or Pandora (it's hard to say without knowing exactly what flavor of music streaming service Google wants to go with.)

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
I'm waiting for some good Google innovation ( hate that word ).

The Glasses and Pixel are interesting but what about innovation in their core competencies?

Why haven't they revolutionized email or calendars?

Why are these products basically the same as they were 15 years ago?

That new iOS Mailbox app looks great, why isn't Google inventing things like that?

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011

Many would disagree with me, but I would have loved to migrate over to Google Wave and use that as email. I thought it was a pretty good product. The only problem is that no one knew what it did.

caligomez

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2011
San Juan, PR
Apple will release iRadio this year..

But, on the other hand... Do I really want it/need it? Not really.. Between Pandora, Spotify and my own iTunes library all my needs are covered.

THe only way I would switch to a more expensive (probably) service from Apple is if it offers a MUCH better radio service than Pandora (unlikely). And if that is so, then surely my iTunes purchases will go down..

ammonkapow

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2012

The Glasses and Pixel are interesting but what about innovation in their core competencies?

Google Wave revolutionized email, no one wanted it.

ChromeOS pushing thin client computing. Not a new idea, but a pretty rare one these days.

Google Now gives you what you want before you ask.

Self driving cars, theirs is by far the best out there.

Cheap gigabit internet.

Wearable computing.

Spanner, which allows Google to run world-wide servers extremely well with little downtime

The most advanced web browser. I argue this because Chrome was the first to use multi-process architectures, much like being its own operating system (which is why it has its own task manager). Safari and Firefox soon adopted that.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Music services

YAY..... !!

About time Google was in the "music mix"

What took em so long with a Spotify-like service. ?

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Looks like Google's throwing ideas at the wall to see what sticks.

Future posters: please repeat this phrase 50 times throughout the rest of this thread to make sure everyone knows this. It can't be stated enough.

What you say is true. But begging for post quotes just makes you sound like an ass. You're better then this.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
I still buy CDs. Go me!

GREATPOST_go_you.gif

Why are these products basically the same as they were 15 years ago?

That new iOS Mailbox app looks great, why isn't Google inventing things like that?

While I'm not that interested in Pixel, if you don't think Project Glass isn't innovative, then I have news for you. I'm glad to see Google trying crazy new things. It's what keeps things interesting and drives innovation. Something we need to see more of here.

Seeing as how current products haven't been around for 15 years, your point is moot.

Looks like Google's throwing ideas at the wall to see what sticks.

Which is more than we can say from some companies...guess we'll have to see what this iWatch is all about if and when it ever comes out to the market.

I think MacRumors became GoogleRumors.

So we should just ignore what others are doing? :rolleyes:

Google is just copying Apple.

Apple already has a "streaming service". It's called iTunes.

Hmmm not quite but it's cool if you want to think that. iTunes streams but isn't a subscription based store.

In before someone tries to say that Google is just copying Apple.

Note that they obviously can't be copying Apple (yet) because Apple hasn't actually released any such service. Were Google to roll out such a service, it would, however, be appropriate to say that they're copying others, such as Spotify, or Pandora (it's hard to say without knowing exactly what flavor of music streaming service Google wants to go with.)

You made it by two minutes! :p Slower than usual around here.

Last edited:

1member1

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2012
I'm sure google will make it free with less content and apple will have paid service with better content.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Yeap, Google has a scan and match service similar to Apple, but the biggest difference is that is FREE. Apple should at least give users 2 years of Music Match per device per account.
I have about 15K songs in my Google Music app and can hear my music from my iPhone, android tablet, mac, pc, etc for free.

Renzatic

Suspended
What you say is true. But begging for post quotes just makes you sound like an ass. You're better then this.

Actually, I'm making fun of all the people who kept saying this in the last Google thread. Think there were about 300 different people who posted it verbatim.

You'd go through the thread. Someone would say something, another guy would reply, then you'd see it.

"Looks like Google's throwing ideas at the wall to see what sticks."

Three or four posts would pass, and...

It was kinda scary.

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
Google is just copying Apple.

Apple already has a "streaming service". It's called iTunes.

No, Apple has a music store and something close called iTunes Match. Google's Google Play in general is a pretty close copy of Apple's iTunes, though.

----------

Actually, I'm making fun of all the people who kept saying this in the last Google thread. Think there were about 300 different people who posted it verbatim.

You'd go through the thread. Someone would say something, another guy would reply, then you'd see it.

Three or four posts would pass, and...

It was kinda scary.

Yeah, people are so unoriginal. Why not choose a phrase you didn't just read a second ago? "Stabbing in the dark"?

----------

I think MacRumors became GoogleRumors.

Yeah, it's really mostly been Google news the past few days. :/

----------

Apple will release iRadio this year..

But, on the other hand... Do I really want it/need it? Not really.. Between Pandora, Spotify and my own iTunes library all my needs are covered.

THe only way I would switch to a more expensive (probably) service from Apple is if it offers a MUCH better radio service than Pandora (unlikely). And if that is so, then surely my iTunes purchases will go down..

I'll use it if it's free and works as well as Pandora or better. Having it be integrated into iTunes would be really nice! By the way, regular radio already is.

GregAndonian

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2010
we'll have to see what this iWatch is all about if and when it ever comes out to the market.

You mean that liquidmetal slap-bracelet thing? Puhh-Lease... :rolleyes:

I hope that isn't what it really looks like. It looks ridiculous, and it would be a pain to have to keep turning your hand around to see things on other parts of the screen.

On a side note- I heard that if you drop one of those iSlapWatches on the ground when it's in the unrolled, flattened shape, it makes a "ping" sound... ;)

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
Google Wave revolutionized email, no one wanted it.

ChromeOS pushing thin client computing. Not a new idea, but a pretty rare one these days.

Google Now gives you what you want before you ask.

Self driving cars, theirs is by far the best out there.

Cheap gigabit internet.

Wearable computing.

Spanner, which allows Google to run world-wide servers extremely well with little downtime

The most advanced web browser. I argue this because Chrome was the first to use multi-process architectures, much like being its own operating system (which is why it has its own task manager). Safari and Firefox soon adopted that.

I used Google Wave and I thought it was great. They killed it and are using imap for gmail with a few custom features.

Faster cheap Internet? How is that an innovation rather than iteration? We can do the exact same thing as everyone else, but faster and cheaper? That's not innovation.

Iterations....

We have had AOL, Hotmail, Yahoo, and Gmail, none of which have changed the way we deal with commication or email in the last 15 years.

Where are the disruptive innovations that change the way we use mobile computing? I welcome it from Google or MS or Apple. None have done this so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.