Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jstar002

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
Most of the time my phone will make a tone when I get a text. Yes I know how to set it up in settings > sounds and selected my desired sound. It makes a sound most of the time but not every single time... sometimes when im texting someone and check my phone and see that I got a new one but the phone didn't make a noise... is this normal?

SoLongAndroid

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2013
I believe, now I'm not an expert, but I do believe that if you receive a text while you are actually in the messaging app, you will not hear the normal tone. Mine does this slight "woosh" noise though. It's similar but less loud than the one that you hear when you send an email or message.

If I have it on silent (99% of the time) it doesn't vibrate when I am texting and receive a message. So if I miss the banner notification, I don't realize I have a text until I go back.

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
My phone does this type of thing every once in a while. Won't play tones, volume, mute, etc don't seem to work. I find that a complete power down fixes it. I rarely completely turn my phone off so I guess it needs to be reset every once in a while.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.