Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
On the Today show this morning Jeff Rossen did a report about people stealing iphones while you are using them. He said that the worst part is that they can reset your password because the phone was in use. I am pretty sure this is dead wrong but I did notice something interesting. You can change the "auto lock" setting to never without having to enter a password.

Seems like a security oversight by apple to me. What do you guys think?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
On the Today show this morning Jeff Rossen did a report about people stealing iphones while you are using them. He said that the worst part is that they can reset your password because the phone was in use. I am pretty sure this is dead wrong but I did notice something interesting. You can change the "auto lock" setting to never without having to enter a password.

Seems like a security oversight by apple to me. What do you guys think?

You have to know the existing password before you're able to change it to something new.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012
If you let someone snatch your phone without locking it at some point in the confrontation, then that's you. You can't just have your phone sitting out while someone is right next to you like that.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
If you let someone snatch your phone without locking it at some point in the confrontation, then that's you. You can't just have your phone sitting out while someone is right next to you like that.

Very good point!

*Note to self: keep iPhone locked at all times when in the vicinity of other humans. Under no circumstances should you use iPhone when others are nearby.

P.S. Why doesn't the iPhone automatically lock when within range of other people? Seems like a security oversight by apple to me. What do you guys think?

:rolleyes:

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
You have to know the existing password before you're able to change it to something new.

exactly what I thought. Why not require this to change when the phone auto locks? If I grab a phone that is unlocked but cant change the password, all I have to do is set it to never auto lock and I wont need the password. That is almost as good as reseting.

How exactly do you lock your phone while someone is punching you in the face??? They were talking about people grabbing the phone out of your hand while you are using it. Not just sitting on a table.

Very good point!

*Note to self: keep iPhone locked at all times when in the vicinity of other humans. Under no circumstances should you use iPhone when others are nearby.

P.S. Why doesn't the iPhone automatically lock when within range of other people? Seems like a security oversight by apple to me. What do you guys think?

:rolleyes:

dumbest response I have seen in a long time. nice job. Where is the down vote arrow when you need it?

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012
How exactly do you lock your phone while someone is punching you in the face??? They were talking about people grabbing the phone out of your hand while you are using it. Not just sitting on a table.

It's kind of like an automatic reaction. I've seen people get their iPhones snatched, (she was a sitting duck) and most of the time, they just reacted too slowly. If I'm sitting on a bus, I instinctively clutch my phone tighter than I normally would.

Also, if someone tries to snatch it right out of my hand, it's going to be a confrontation.

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
It's kind of like an automatic reaction. I've seen people get their iPhones snatched, (she was a sitting duck) and most of the time, they just reacted too slowly. If I'm sitting on a bus, I instinctively clutch my phone tighter than I normally would.

Also, if someone tries to snatch it right out of my hand, it's going to be a confrontation.

but how are you going to lock it? Just pushing the lock button does not make it require a password.

pnyc

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
What does it matter if the phone is locked or not? Who cares if he can change the password or not, he has your phone he can reset the password/phone. You think the thief cares about your sexting pic collection, most likely that's not his motivation for stealing your phone. If his ass is not completely up his ass he'll simply factory restore the phone and re-sale.

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
What does it matter if the phone is locked or not? Who cares if he can change the password or not, he has your phone he can reset the password/phone. You think the thief cares about your sexting pic collection, most likely that's not his motivation for stealing your phone. If his ass is not completely up his ass he'll simply factory restore the phone and re-sale.

Lots of people have these things called jobs where they have sensitive information stored on their phones.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland

Which is exactly why the manufacturers of mobile phones need to add hardware-based security, like perhaps a physical card that goes into the SIM slot that is the only way of enabling the device to be factory restored.

pnyc

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Lots of people have these things called jobs where they have sensitive information stored on their phones.

True, but sensitive information should be encrypted. iPhone passcode lock has a pretty poor track record as far as exploits and vulnerabilities are concerned, Apple just closed the latest one few days ago. You shouldn't trust it to protect your "sensitive data".

SoLongAndroid

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2013
:confused: yes i did but, im lost

point blank if somebody tries to steal your phone, you can lock it in the tussle

Once they factory restore it with a computer you're safe anyway so.

This guy would have to be a ninja.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.