Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Hello, the Cube is completely stock (except for the added RAM). Everything seems to be plugged in correctly.

The sound is some sort of a electrical "hiss". It sounds terrible, but as soon as the system idles it goes away. A part of me thinks that it's the HDD doing it, but im not sure that "hissing" is a sign of a bad HDD. Listening to it reveals nothing as it is very loud.:apple:

Do you have an ACD plugged into it? One of the acrylic ones?

Macasaurus

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2012
Honestly I love my 12" Powerbook. I have used that thing for 9 years or so and never gave me any issues.

It is the first mac I actually owned and still use it. Only thing is these days the fans spin up more which is a bit annoying and obviously it is a creeping crawl on some websites. Other than that, it is still usable as a daily machine if need be.

jpcoelho

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2013
Aveiro, Portugal
Hello, the Cube is completely stock (except for the added RAM). Everything seems to be plugged in correctly.

The sound is some sort of a electrical "hiss". It sounds terrible, but as soon as the system idles it goes away. A part of me thinks that it's the HDD doing it, but im not sure that "hissing" is a sign of a bad HDD. Listening to it reveals nothing as it is very loud.:apple:

Hi!

is the HDD the original 20 Gb drive? apart from age, those drives are quite noisy... if you have a spare drive you can test, it would be the easiest way to start troubleshooting...

there is a thread in cubeowner which resembles your issue, but no feedback yet on that... check it out:
http://www.cubeowner.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14748&hl=

Merv'sG5

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2013
Melbourne Australia
Hello All,

Like everyone else were trying to get the best out of their Power PC's Mac's. Well I bought my second hand PowerMac G5 Quad Core in 2008 and I really love the machine to bits! Then and now I still think it's a very fast machine. But since 2008 I have upgraded the machine to the max like 16 gig ram 2x 1 Tb Hard Drives 2x Apple 30" Cinema Monitor's etc but I am really pissed off that Apple has dropped support for ITunes but they still support ITunes for Windows XP which is over 10 years old!

DSCF2114.JPG

Thanks in advance,
Merv Stent

lucasfer899

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
London
Hello All,

Like everyone else were trying to get the best out of their Power PC's Mac's. Well I bought my second hand PowerMac G5 Quad Core in 2008 and I really love the machine to bits! Then and now I still think it's a very fast machine. But since 2008 I have upgraded the machine to the max like 16 gig ram 2x 1 Tb Hard Drives 2x Apple 30" Cinema Monitor's etc but I am really pissed off that Apple has dropped support for ITunes but they still support ITunes for Windows XP which is over 10 years old!

View attachment 398700

Thanks in advance,
Merv Stent

Um, I think you really should drop come bucks on a new desk dude :eek:
Nice setup, nevertheless. what Kind of Grpahics Horsepower are you using there?

----------

I'm down with this thread, I'm deff going to be using PPC until the day that literally it wont connect to the web. Dropping my High end PC for a G5.
Just made a thread :3 :apple:

Merv'sG5

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2013
Melbourne Australia
Um, I think you really should drop come bucks on a new desk dude :eek:
Nice setup, nevertheless. what Kind of Grpahics Horsepower are you using there?

----------

I'm down with this thread, I'm deff going to be using PPC until the day that literally it wont connect to the web. Dropping my High end PC for a G5.
Just made a thread :3 :apple:

Hello lucasfer899,

Well for driving my 2 Apple Cinema 30" displays I am using NVidia Quadro FX 4500 and for the Apple Cinema 23" display I am using a stock standard NVidia GeForce 6600. As for the computer desk, I bought from Ebay and it's solid as a rock, not like the crap they sell at Ikea!

Thanks in advance,
Merv Stent

lucasfer899

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
London
Hello lucasfer899,

Well for driving my 2 Apple Cinema 30" displays I am using NVidia Quadro FX 4500 and for the Apple Cinema 23" display I am using a stock standard NVidia GeForce 6600. As for the computer desk, I bought from Ebay and it's solid as a rock, not like the crap they sell at Ikea!

Thanks in advance,
Merv Stent

woah, formal post o.o
1) Thanks for the info on how you're running it.
2) I only commented on the desk due to space, your monitors are overlapping!
3) hey! my desk is from ikea! u.u xD

SawyerTHEBEST

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2013
I'm staying with powerpc for awhile lol, I got a Powerbook G4 for when I need a computer around college, BUT I have to use a Windows PC for gaming. Though the Powerbook can run Quake 3, but powerpc's are going to be more able to use the web soon, with everything switching from flash to html5. BUT I think they will become fully un-useable in about 13 years

lucasfer899

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
London
I'm staying with powerpc for awhile lol, I got a Powerbook G4 for when I need a computer around college, BUT I have to use a Windows PC for gaming. Though the Powerbook can run Quake 3, but powerpc's are going to be more able to use the web soon, with everything switching from flash to html5. BUT I think they will become fully un-useable in about 13 years

Awesome, can't wait to see flash die, it's the bane of my online existence.

I think that it won't take another thirteen years. I don't expect that a 20 year old computer would be very useable.

Well, with the power of a Quad Core G5, I wouldn't be do ure about them not being able to be useable.

If you look at things, computers just two years before the G5, could only support 2GB ram, and these days, 16GB isn't even a recommended amount, most people opt for 8GB. Also, PM G5's can support PCIe GPU's aswell, I have a feeling they're going to be useful for a long while.

All I know is, I cant wait for HTML5 to hit hard, and I'm going to 24/7 my G5 until its utterly useless. Man I love these machines.

Navare

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2013
Stoke on Trent
Hi with this little lot:

PowerMac G5 DP 2.5GHz
PowerMac G5 DP 2.3GHz
PowerMac G4 SP 1.2GHz
iMac G5 17" SP 1.8GHz

I'm staying put with PPC

Oh and I've a G3 B&W on the way too

Regards

N.

lucasfer899

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
London
But a 20 year old Quad?

I dunno man, but I really do feel like they could hold on.
That was the absolute peak of computing at the time, and computing hasnt come as far in the 7 years after the G5, as it did in the 7 years leading up to the G5, well in my opinion anyway.

Hi with this little lot:

PowerMac G5 DP 2.5GHz
PowerMac G5 DP 2.3GHz
PowerMac G4 SP 1.2GHz
iMac G5 17" SP 1.8GHz

I'm staying put with PPC

Oh and I've a G3 B&W on the way too

Regards

N.

Wow, that's quite the collection! Any chance of some photos?
I'm in love with G5's.

Navare

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2013
Stoke on Trent
I dunno man, but I really do feel like they could hold on.
That was the absolute peak of computing at the time, and computing hasnt come as far in the 7 years after the G5, as it did in the 7 years leading up to the G5, well in my opinion anyway.

Wow, that's quite the collection! Any chance of some photos?
I'm in love with G5's.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361566691.643578.jpg

Other G5 is upstairs in my studio...

N.

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
Awesome, can't wait to see flash die, it's the bane of my online existence.

Well, with the power of a Quad Core G5, I wouldn't be do ure about them not being able to be useable.

If you look at things, computers just two years before the G5, could only support 2GB ram, and these days, 16GB isn't even a recommended amount, most people opt for 8GB. Also, PM G5's can support PCIe GPU's aswell, I have a feeling they're going to be useful for a long while.

All I know is, I cant wait for HTML5 to hit hard, and I'm going to 24/7 my G5 until its utterly useless. Man I love these machines.

Actually some people still use 2gb fine but most people opt. for 4gb where I am - I actually saw a few PCs with 2gb of RAM in PC World the other day.

lucasfer899

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
London
Actually some people still use 2gb fine but most people opt. for 4gb where I am - I actually saw a few PCs with 2gb of RAM in PC World the other day.

I loathe OEM PC's.
Went into PC world for the fun of it a while ago, (I know more than all the guys working in there) and there was an i7 dell but it had some silly GPU like a GT 520 With 2GB of Vram, and they guy was convinced that it was awesome, because of the vram.

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
I loathe OEM PC's.
Went into PC world for the fun of it a while ago, (I know more than all the guys working in there) and there was an i7 dell but it had some silly GPU like a GT 520 With 2GB of Vram, and they guy was convinced that it was awesome, because of the vram.

Well, it's not a bad GPU but I understand what you mean.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.