Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Feb 23, 2013, 06:05 AM   #1
abz1981
macrumors 6502a

Apple TV in the UK

HI all

For those of you have Apple Tv in the UK is it actually worth it? Are you happy with the service. Does it provide things like BBC Iplayer etc catch up tv on demand and free view?

I am asking because my Sky subscription will be coming to an end. Will not be renewing it. However looking at getting Apple Tv, for example free view channels catch up demand tv, HD etc.

Or if these features are not available. Do you think Apple will be bringing them in? What do you guys recommend?

thanks in advance
Old Feb 23, 2013, 07:07 AM   #2
mcnallym
macrumors 6502

I suggest that you go look at what an AppleTV is.

It is a small Set Top Box for accessing your iTunes collection, Flickr, Netflix, YouTube.

No LoveFilm or Now available on it either.

There is no iPlayer, 4od, ITV Player, Demand 5, etc available on it, not are there any TV reception in the box.

Instead based upon your post then would suggest you look at getting a YouView box instead.

Has FreeviewHD reception, iPlayer, 4od, ITV Player and Demand5 and can go back upto 7 days in the EPG to playback. Is also a Hard Disk Recorder, and can subscribe to NowTV if you find missing SkyMovies. Can even Pause livetv then start again when ready. No choice for Netflix or Lovefilm though.

Depending upon your ISP then may be able to get YouView through them.

There is the alway ever rumors of a full blown Apple TV set where will be a full TV, however isn't going to be cheap, unless Apple change there spots.

As such I would suggest you look at the YouView boxes as fits your stated wants pretty closely.
mcnallym is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 07:14 AM   #3
abz1981
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnallym View Post
I suggest that you go look at what an AppleTV is.

It is a small Set Top Box for accessing your iTunes collection, Flickr, Netflix, YouTube.

No LoveFilm or Now available on it either.

There is no iPlayer, 4od, ITV Player, Demand 5, etc available on it, not are there any TV reception in the box.

Instead based upon your post then would suggest you look at getting a YouView box instead.

Has FreeviewHD reception, iPlayer, 4od, ITV Player and Demand5 and can go back upto 7 days in the EPG to playback. Is also a Hard Disk Recorder, and can subscribe to NowTV if you find missing SkyMovies. Can even Pause livetv then start again when ready. No choice for Netflix or Lovefilm though.

Depending upon your ISP then may be able to get YouView through them.

There is the alway ever rumors of a full blown Apple TV set where will be a full TV, however isn't going to be cheap, unless Apple change there spots.

As such I would suggest you look at the YouView boxes as fits your stated wants pretty closely.
Hi

Thanks guess your right. Cheers will look into that.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 07:37 AM   #4
BaggieBoy
macrumors member

Since you already have a satellite dish, you could also look at Freesat as an alternative.
BaggieBoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater