Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

igmolinav

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Hi,

I downloaded an application from iTunes called Viber. I synced
my iPhone but I couldn't complete the operation because a
message appears telling me that "it requires a newer version
of iPhone software"

On the other side of it, I look at iTunes and it tells me that my
iPhone software is up to date. I have software version 3.1.3

How do I update my iPhone software in order to get Viber, if
I apparently have the latest software?

Thank yo, kind regards,

igmolinav : ) !!!

My iPhone is a 2G and as far as I know, 3.1.3, is its lates version.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Hi,

I downloaded an application from iTunes called Viber. I synced
my iPhone but I couldn't complete the operation because a
message appears telling me that "it requires a newer version
of iPhone software"

On the other side of it, I look at iTunes and it tells me that my
iPhone software is up to date. I have software version 3.1.3

How do I update my iPhone software in order to get Viber, if
I apparently have the latest software?

Thank yo, kind regards,

My iPhone is a 2G and as far as I know, 3.1.3, is its lates version.

Unfortunately, Apple is pretty greedy and doesn't even let developers (easily) support anything before iOS 4.3. No wonder almost no new / updated apps support any iPhone / iPod touch 1st / 2nd gen models.

All you can do is look for an old IPA version of Viber and use the methods explained at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1321726/

lucasfer899

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
London
Unfortunately, Apple is pretty greedy and doesn't even let developers (easily) support anything before iOS 4.3. No wonder almost no new / updated apps support any iPhone / iPod touch 1st / 2nd gen models.

All you can do is look for an old IPA version of Viber and use the methods explained at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1321726/

Agreed with this post. Apple doesnt want things to be compatible with old hardware, pushing you to buy the latest stuff. :mad:

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Agreed with this post. Apple doesnt want things to be compatible with old hardware, pushing you to buy the latest stuff. :mad:

Yup, pretty annoying, particularly given that Google allows for supporting even the earliest (e.g., Android 1.6) platforms in brand new apps - even in apps making use all of the new 4.2 features (API calls etc.).

No wonder power users are leaving iOS. Apple's restrictions and greed are REALLY annoying.

lucasfer899

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
London
Yup, pretty annoying, particularly given that Google allows for supporting even the earliest (e.g., Android 1.6) platforms in brand new apps - even in apps making use all of the new 4.2 features (API calls etc.).

No wonder power users are leaving iOS. Apple's restrictions and greed are REALLY annoying.

Exactly, apple really needs to take notice of this.
Kinda like how they cut PowerPC cold at 10.5, I mean, PC's older and less powerful than a G5, running windows XP which is 10 years old now, can still update to the latest iTunes, but apple wont let their OWN hardware which is 7 years old update. huh? :(

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Exactly, apple really needs to take notice of this.
Kinda like how they cut PowerPC cold at 10.5, I mean, PC's older and less powerful than a G5, running windows XP which is 10 years old now, can still update to the latest iTunes, but apple wont let their OWN hardware which is 7 years old update. huh? :(

7 years? Apple have even made two-year-old hardware absolutely useless in Sep/2012 with the release of the new, iOS6-compliant SDK making it impossible to target devices with iOS version less than 4.3. (See the case of the 2nd-gen iPod touch actively sold up until Sep/2010 by Apple.)

Think of it: you purchase the iPt from Apple in Sep/2010 and, after two years, you can't update any past apps / purchase anything newly released because Apple deliberately made those "old" platforms incompatible... This is what I call greed - and a lot of other things like removing antialiasing in 2x iPhone emulation mode on the 1st/2nd-gen iPads in iOS5 to make people purchase the 3rd gen iPad with antialiasing.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
Apple does NOT prevent developers from supporting older versions of iOS. It's completely up to the developer.

What happens is Apple introduces new API calls and features that make our lives easier and we choose to drop support for older versions of iOS.

Communication related apps will more than likely not support 3.X as there were significant changes in later iOS versions.

igmolinav

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Hi,

Thank you for your messages : ) !!!

As it was mentioned, Apple has to pay attention to it or many customers may leave and forget about the brand! It is a shame!

I haven't updated my iPhone because I prefer to put that money into the update of the computer(s) I use.

Kind regards,

lucasfer899

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
London
7 years? Apple have even made two-year-old hardware absolutely useless in Sep/2012 with the release of the new, iOS6-compliant SDK making it impossible to target devices with iOS version less than 4.3. (See the case of the 2nd-gen iPod touch actively sold up until Sep/2010 by Apple.)

Think of it: you purchase the iPt from Apple in Sep/2010 and, after two years, you can't update any past apps / purchase anything newly released because Apple deliberately made those "old" platforms incompatible... This is what I call greed - and a lot of other things like removing antialiasing in 2x iPhone emulation mode on the 1st/2nd-gen iPads in iOS5 to make people purchase the 3rd gen iPad with antialiasing.

That's very true.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Well think about it this way, how many people are still using iPhone 2G's? Compared to how many are with iPhone 3gs or greater?

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Apple does NOT prevent developers from supporting older versions of iOS. It's completely up to the developer.

Absolutely not true. Tell me how can you support both iOS 6 (for example, the 16:9 screen of the iPhone 5 / iPt5) and iOS versions prior to 4.3 in the same app?

The answer: you can't. The minimal deployment target is 4.3 in any iOS6-compliant Xcode. Developers are NOT allowed to set less, which means users can't install those apps on anything 1st or 2nd-gen.

Sure, you can create a different, separate app with an older Xcode version but you'll need to maintain, update etc. it separately, resulting in a mess 99,9% of the devs don't want to suffer from. (Few devs have the resources to maintain two versions of the same app - one for iOS 4.3+ only and one for earlier versions.)

I've referred to Google - they don't have such idiotic constraints in their SDK / Play Store model. You can support even API version 1 in your apps - in the same app that makes use of the latest 4.2 API (via dynamic method invocation / class access / instantialization).

What happens is Apple introduces new API calls and features that make our lives easier and we choose to drop support for older versions of iOS.

See above.

Communication related apps will more than likely not support 3.X as there were significant changes in later iOS versions.

With a more consumer-friendly approach (e.g., that of Google) Apple could easily cater for those people. Again, even if you develop for Android 4.2, you can easily make sure your app runs on even Android 1.6. Probably without some features but it will run.

Last edited:

gpsouza

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2012
Lisbon
Yeah! Apple sucks!

I mean, I have a Lisa but can't install OSX Mountain Lion! Omg, life totally sucks and apple sucks.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Yeah! Apple sucks!

I mean, I have a Lisa but can't install OSX Mountain Lion! Omg, life totally sucks and apple sucks.

The Lisa is 30 years old. Unlike, among other (earlier) models, the iPod touch 2G, which was made deliberately incompatible with anything iOS6-friendly in Sep/2012.

Making a model absolutely useless after two years of stopping selling it? Very "friendly" move!

gpsouza

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2012
Lisbon
I've referred to Google - they don't have such idiotic constraints in their SDK / Play Store model. You can support even API version 1 in your apps - in the same app that makes use of the latest 4.2 API (via dynamic method invocation / class access / instantialization).
(...)With a more consumer-friendly approach (e.g., that of Google) Apple could easily cater for those people. Again, even if you develop for Android 4.2, you can easily make sure your app runs on even Android 1.6. Probably without some features but it will run.

But tell me, can an smartphone running Android 1.6 play, let's say... Angry birds? No.

It's not about supporting, because Apple could obviously support iOS 1, but it will not run ANYTHING! So why support? Even if it could be installed, it would suck.

gpsouza

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2012
Lisbon
The Lisa is 30 years old. Unlike, among other (earlier) models, the iPod touch 2G, which was made deliberately incompatible with anything iOS6-friendly in Sep/2012.

Making a model absolutely useless after two years of stopping selling it? Very "friendly" move!

Tell that to android users that can't update their androids to the lattest version...

Yes, 2 years is nothing, but the 3GS is still here being supported.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Well think about it this way, how many people are still using iPhone 2G's? Compared to how many are with iPhone 3gs or greater?

There are some people that can't afford purchasing a new model. There was a post of an Indian guy the other day here telling he needs to stick with the 3G as the salaries in India are very low.

Again, Apple could have been friendlier to those people by NOT raising the minimal deployment target to 4.3 in the iOS6-compliant Xcode versions. It wouldn't have cost Apple anything. But not, they're far too greedy and want to force people upgrade their hardware by deliberately making all new apps / games incompatible.

Eclipse538

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2013
Absolutely not true. Tell me how can you support both iOS 6 (for example, the 16:9 screen of the iPhone 5 / iPt5) and iOS versions prior to 4.3 in the same app?

The answer: you can't. The minimal deployment target is 4.3 in any iOS6-compliant Xcode. Developers are NOT allowed to set less, which means users can't install those apps on anything 1st or 2nd-gen.

Sure, you can create a different, separate app with an older Xcode version but you'll need to maintain, update etc. it separately, resulting in a mess 99,9% of the devs don't want to suffer from. (Few devs have the resources to maintain two versions of the same app - one for iOS 4.3+ only and one for earlier versions.)

You said you can't, then explained how you can... And when I read his post I assumed he meant if developers wished to creat an app exactly as you said, entirely different and separate to the iOS 6.x Xcode app.

And finally to compare the iOS software to any Google software is kind of a joke to me. Google is great and I don't ever hate on android or google programs or aps, but c'mon! iOS software is like champagne made in France or feta made in Greece, you don't have to like it, you might like the same stuff but its made in CA, or some other nice place. But we all know the stuff from France or Greece is the REAL DEAL, it tastes that 10% better is nearly twice an expensive but it's still better And from the original creators of the stuff!

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Tell that to android users that can't update their androids to the lattest version...

Yes, 2 years is nothing, but the 3GS is still here being supported.

Well, cooked Android versions abound. And if you take XDA-Devs cooked versions into account, the Android situation is far better than on iOS. Even the earliest Android models, assuming they have 256M RAM at least, have at least one version of 4.x.

I have cooked 4.x on several of my Android phones (I also do Android development). No problem with them.

Certainly Android being open source helps a lot - it's pretty easy to release an update for even old models. Unlike on iOS, of course, where there're absolutely no home-cooked updates, the OS being closed.

Eclipse538

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2013
There are some people that can't afford purchasing a new model. There was a post of an Indian guy the other day here telling he needs to stick with the 3G as the salaries in India are very low.

Again, Apple could have been friendlier to those people by NOT raising the minimal deployment target to 4.3 in the iOS6-compliant Xcode versions. It wouldn't have cost Apple anything. But not, they're far too greedy and want to force people upgrade their hardware by deliberately making all new apps / games incompatible.

Read my post, sometimes older styles are less efficient on these newer devices, so changing the code inst "necessary" but a good means to take full potential of the new devices. Believe what you will though because although I respect how you feel, it's very opinionated and seems uneducated on the matter of what's "best" for each device, though you may know much about them. Perhaps it isn't an issue but assuming the software developers wish to use the hardware the best they can, I don't think making a change would be this way to make people upgrade. People don't upgrade because they are made too, they do it because they want too! And if the guy can't afford it, I would blame the inflation and the lack of stable government set minimun wages, not on apple for making "upgrades" to their products" I'm very blessed to have a job where I can afford a few nice things, not much, but it takes sacrifice and know how to keep up with trending software/hardware. You won't DIE without it, I feel he's lucky to even have a 3G.. This coming from a user of a 3GS I got a little over 1 year ago.

Last edited:

gpsouza

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2012
Lisbon
Well, cooked Android versions abound. And if you take XDA-Devs cooked versions into account, the Android situation is far better than on iOS. Even the earliest Android models, assuming they have 256M RAM at least, have at least one version of 4.x.

I have cooked 4.x on several of my Android phones (I also do Android development). No problem with them.

Certainly Android being open source helps a lot - it's pretty easy to release an update for even old models. Unlike on iOS, of course, where there're absolutely no home-cooked updates, the OS being closed.

You can pretend that is ok, but is not. The manufactories does not support their devices even after 1 month being released. I have a Nexus S android running 4.1.1 (Latest available from google) ant it is sluggish. Of course 4.2 would be even more sluggish. I can install cooked versions on my Nexus S but it would be just useless since I wouldn't have a great performance.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
You said you can't, then explained how you can... And when I read his post I assumed he meant if developers wished to creat an app exactly as you said, entirely different and separate to the iOS 6.x Xcode app.

Again, maintaining two versions of the same app is troublesome. Apple could have enabled devs to support all platforms in the same app, like Google did. They chose not to do it, knowing few devs will want to battle with all the problems separate app versions cause.

And finally to compare the iOS software to any Google software is kind of a joke to me. Google is great and I don't ever hate on android or google programs or aps, but c'mon! iOS software is like champagne made in France or feta made in Greece, you don't have to like it, you might like the same stuff but its made in CA, or some other nice place. But we all know the stuff from France or Greece is the REAL DEAL, it tastes that 10% better is nearly twice an expensive but it's still better And from the original creators of the stuff!

Lolz :) Look, I know both Android and iOS programming like the palm of my hand, including the latest 4.2 API's... stating iOS is superior is just ridiculous. In fact, programming-wise, you can do a LOT more in Android even on the API level. Actually, you can do a lot more using official Android API's than with jailbreaks on iOS.

----------

I can install cooked versions on my Nexus S but it would be just useless since I wouldn't have a great performance.

Well, some low-end models indeed have problems with the latest cooked ROM's. FOr example, the HTC Wildfire a3333 with jordfaz's MiniCM9 Rom ( http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1967851 ) offering 4.0.3 is indeed sluggish. But that's a VERY old and restricted model.

On the otehr hand, my Galaxy S1 runs just GREAT with the xda-devs 4.1.2, without any sluggishness or other restrictions.

Eclipse538

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2013
It's not about supporting, because Apple could obviously support iOS 1, but it will not run ANYTHING! So why support? Even if it could be installed, it would suck.
Also a food point for those who are not understanding this

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Read my post, sometimes older styles are less efficient on these newer devices, so changing the code inst "necessary" but a good means to take full potential of the new devices.

You as a dev COULD (by dynamic class loading / invocation at runtime) - if Apple allowed it, just like Google do.

Now, you can't do it (in the same app), however much you'd want it, without going the separate app route.

----------

But tell me, can an smartphone running Android 1.6 play, let's say... Angry birds? No.

It'd LET devs support even the iOS 2.x API if they chose to (again, via runtime discovery, which can be easily done in iOS as easily as in Android). The question is all about LETTING devs support if they want to and in the same app, as Google do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.