Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tissue Paper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
Hi.

I understand this might come across as a bit off topic but since I have no where else to ask, someone might be able to provide an answer. I need it for a research :(

I want to know what's the impact of 4th cellular generation on EDGE. I understand it's an enhancement to provide fast data transmission and services for older generations compatible to GSM and GPRS and with my 3G service, it still pops up every now and then but overall is EDGE going to be compatible to 4G? Or is it unable to cope with how fast 3G and 4G is? Is it still being developed? Enhanced? Or did it just fulfill its purpose and that's it?

lucasfer899

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
London
Think of EDGE as 2G.
EDGE, 3G, and 4G, are NOT compatible with each other, and you mentioned you have a 3G service, why would you being worrying about EDGE when you have 3G?
4G is a faster version of 3G, a 3G phone cannot connect to 4G. The 3G phone, will simply run at 3G speeds, and connect to the existing 3G network.
4G will not affect EDGE or 3G in any way at all.
An EDGE only phone will never connect to a 4G network.

Tissue Paper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
Ok that's helpful but I still don't know the end result of EDGE.

My research is supposed to be an overview of EDGE. I did that but now I'm at the conclusion and I need to mention something about what EDGE will become in the future. Most documents date back to 2003. No one says anything about how EDGE will progress beyond 4G.

I understand it functions separately but it's an enhancement so when the higher speed technologies are not covered in the field, then my phone will fall back to EDGE. If EDGE will disappear in the future and there's no 4G or 3G coverage, what will happen?

Sorry my thoughts are all over the place. I am not a tech savvy person and I wanna get this assignment done with :p

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
EDGE won't be going anywhere for a long time. There are still so many people not using smartphones, especially ones capable of using 4G networks.

I would say that once 4G reaches the coverage of 3G, and once 3G reaches the coverage of 2G/EDGE, companies will more than likely phase out their 2G networks. No point in supporting three generations when successors are as widely available.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Think of EDGE as 2G.
EDGE, 3G, and 4G, are NOT compatible with each other, and you mentioned you have a 3G service, why would you being worrying about EDGE when you have 3G?
4G is a faster version of 3G, a 3G phone cannot connect to 4G. The 3G phone, will simply run at 3G speeds, and connect to the existing 3G network.
4G will not affect EDGE or 3G in any way at all.
An EDGE only phone will never connect to a 4G network.

4g does affect edge/2g as its those transmitters most companies are converting to 4g. After the changeover the transmitter no longer kicks out an edge signal.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
EDGE won't be going anywhere for a long time. There are still so many people not using smartphones, especially ones capable of using 4G networks.

I would say that once 4G reaches the coverage of 3G, and once 3G reaches the coverage of 2G/EDGE, companies will more than likely phase out their 2G networks. No point in supporting three generations when successors are as widely available.

I think most likely its this. Only 3G and 4G will remain in most developed countries in the future when a great majority of the user-base has already converted to smartphone usage.

2G will likely continue to exist in LDCs for a longer period of time.

Ste Nova

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2012
LL22, UK
I think most likely its this. Only 3G and 4G will remain in most developed countries in the future when a great majority of the user-base has already converted to smartphone usage.

2G will likely continue to exist in LDCs for a longer period of time.

how long did it take them to phase out the old 1G ?

Tissue Paper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
I don't know when the first generation started but the transition from circuit switching to packet took place roughly around 97 when EDGE was proposed so assuming analog cellular network started let's say late 80s early 90s that's about 7 to 10 years.... (maybe).

Ste Nova

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2012
LL22, UK
found it...
"The first 1G network launched in the USA was Chicago-based Ameritech in 1983 using the Motorola DynaTAC mobile phone. Several countries then followed in the early-to-mid 1980s including the UK, Mexico and Canada"

in the uk vodafone turned off their 1g in 2001

"Ameican phone company AT&T have announced that they intend to close their 2G network on 1st January 2017"

Tissue Paper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
Interesting info, so we have 3 years to get on the 4G wagon. They better expand and fast till then.

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
Interesting info, so we have 3 years to get on the 4G wagon. They better expand and fast till then.

No, we have 3 years to get on the 3G wagon. All of those iPhone OG owners will need to upgrade to at least an iPhone 3G of they want data access in 2017.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.