Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:45 AM   #26
Chrjy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluminum213 View Post
Never buy first generation apple hardware, so many flaws with rMBP, even worse with the 13"

Can't wait to get gen 2 15"retina this fall though
I have a rMBP and it is without a doubt the best Apple machine I've ever had and I've had a lot, I've been using Apple products for well over 20 years.

The rMBP is fast, the screen is amazing and I've have never had a single issue with it. I was a bit dubious about getting it as I wasn't entirely sure, but now I have it I wouldn't swap it for anything, even after 3 months with it I still love everything about it, normally the novelty wears off after a few weeks but this machine is just outstanding.
Chrjy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:47 AM   #27
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkmonster View Post
But they're a computer company first and a gadget company second, it's just the gadgets are available for far less than a Mac and sell in far higher quantity.

They've been offering very slim laptops with decent enough specs for quite some years before the Windows Ultrabook/Google Chromebook systems came out to "try" and compete with them and only beat them on cost.
I would truly like to agree, but the cold hard facts are the day they changed the company's name from Apple Computer Inc. to Apple Inc. I knew the party was over for those of us who use & enjoy Macs for work.

Now, as Apple Inc. They've morphed into a mass market mobile device & gadget maker.

One that just happens to have revenue from computers that they are enjoying based on past reputation & the well promoted myth that Macs are easier & don't get viruses.

Supremely obsessed with being "thin & pretty" from the Jobs days, they're still building computers even after convincing the world it's the "Post PC Era" now.

Thus they are now Apple Inc. iDevices are the focus.
maxosx is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:48 AM   #28
InuNacho
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston1236 View Post
Apple is a phone tablet company first. Dont even get me started on the mac pro abandonment.
I actually like the Mac Pro abadonment, it means that my 09 Quad 3.33 is just as good as the current base Quad 3.2. Four years old and still on the cutting edge.
InuNacho is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:56 AM   #29
noiseordinance
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdonath View Post
...he says in response to an article starting with "Following last week's introduction of new processors for the Retina MacBook Pro lineup".
Ok, clearly I did not make my post very clear. Let me clarify: there hasn't been a SOFTWARE update in over four months. I realize there hasn't been a hardware update since the rMBP came out last June. The reason I complain is because I hope they fix the current line of rMBPs before releasing the new line. I don't think it's much to ask... really, I just wanna be able to surf the net and listen to music... that sorta function really works fine on my iPhone, and it works fine on a ten year old $20 eMachine off Craigslist, so I don't think it's much to ask in a $2000+ 6 month old computer. (I don't actually have an e-machine, but I betcha surfing and music would be more enjoyable.)

tl;dr: it's hard to get excited about the new line when Apple has really dropped the ball on the current lineup.
noiseordinance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:06 PM   #30
KPOM
macrumors G3

10.8.3 is due any day now. Anyway I haven't had those issues on my 13" rMBP and they certainly don't sound routine. Perhaps you have some other issues with your specific unit.
KPOM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:08 PM   #31
mr.steevo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseordinance View Post
Safari is totally ruined on rMBP (CSS not rendered correctly on half the websites, blank white pages), mouse and keyboard become unresponsive when switching GPU, background resets after every reboot, stuttering audio, etc.
What is Apple's response when you brought in the computer? Will they replace it?
mr.steevo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:11 PM   #32
bobr1952
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that's what they are currently doing. There hasn't been a single update to the rMBP in over 4 months. I know I will not be buying an Apple laptop / desktop again unless they do a major overhaul in their approach at conducting business.
I think your forgot this
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:13 PM   #33
tivoboy
macrumors 68000

nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomA View Post
For those saying Apple laptops are too expensive, have you seen the specs and pricing on Google's latest offering?

$1300, for a 13-inch, 3.3 lbs, 32 GB!HD, USB2 laptop.[COLOR="#808080"]

----------
I got to try out one of these pixel laptops yesterday, I would NOT buy it.
tivoboy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:26 PM   #34
Northgrove
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartass View Post
Stick to phones and tablets Apple.
What? Why? Because competition and spearheading the HiDPI revolution sucks?
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:32 PM   #35
I.Love.Apple
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkmonster View Post
But they're a computer company first and a gadget company second, it's just the gadgets are available for far less than a Mac and sell in far higher quantity. They've been offering very slim laptops with decent enough specs for quite some years before the Windows Ultrabook/Google Chromebook systems came out to "try" and compete with them and only beat them on cost.
If they were a "computer company first " why did they remove word "computer" from their corporate name?
I.Love.Apple is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:43 PM   #36
noiseordinance
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.steevo View Post
What is Apple's response when you brought in the computer? Will they replace it?
I had a previous rMBP that exhibited the same exact problems right out of the box. It also happens on my classmate's rMBP. These are widespread issues that are not limited to a single machine unfortunately.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:11 PM   #37
mono1980
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluminum213 View Post
Never buy first generation apple hardware, so many flaws with rMBP, even worse with the 13"

Can't wait to get gen 2 15"retina this fall though
Exactly. That is my plan as well. The GPU just can't handle the current retina machines satisfactorily enough.
mono1980 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:37 PM   #38
Time Less
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-spot View Post
$200-300 less... holy-moly!
yeah, were you on vacation?
Time Less is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 02:15 PM   #39
MacSince1990
In Time-Out

In other news, 100 is about 4% of 2600!

Why would they bother doing this *facepalm*
MacSince1990 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 02:34 PM   #40
Aluminum213
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mono1980 View Post
Exactly. That is my plan as well. The GPU just can't handle the current retina machines satisfactorily enough.
and factor in that so apps still don't support retina resolution, so people aren't even getting the most out of the display
Aluminum213 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:59 PM   #41
JoshAlfie
macrumors member

Quote:
Let's see... Safari is totally ruined on rMBP (CSS not rendered correctly on half the websites, blank white pages), mouse and keyboard become unresponsive when switching GPU, background resets after every reboot, stuttering audio, etc. Yeah, I guess you're right... I should have to wait a year for these to be fixed, as should countless others who complain about the same exact problems.
Although I would not question your right to complain if you feel you have issues I have to disagree with your statement.

I have been using the rMBP extensively since August (surfing, listening to music, playing video games, movie editing, running vms, CAD work, etc) and have had none of the issues that your stating. I am in contact with many people who have the same laptop with the same use as me and had heard no complaints from them either.

After many disappointments with windows machines over the years I view the rMBP as a breath of fresh air. It's how top of the line laptops should have been.
JoshAlfie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:20 PM   #42
barkmonster
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.Love.Apple View Post
If they were a "computer company first " why did they remove word "computer" from their corporate name?
Because they were a computer company first, then started selling iGadgets. Obviously
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:31 PM   #43
noiseordinance
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshAlfie View Post
Although I would not question your right to complain if you feel you have issues I have to disagree with your statement.

I have been using the rMBP extensively since August (surfing, listening to music, playing video games, movie editing, running vms, CAD work, etc) and have had none of the issues that your stating. I am in contact with many people who have the same laptop with the same use as me and had heard no complaints from them either.

After many disappointments with windows machines over the years I view the rMBP as a breath of fresh air. It's how top of the line laptops should have been.
I understand that you don't have the same problem as me, but you can't disagree with reality: many people have these issues. Maybe not you, but many. These are also issues that Apple support admits they are aware of, and have said for months that fixes are in the process of being made. If you need further evidence, search the Apple support forums, and look at the forums on this website.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:15 PM   #44
Imory
macrumors regular

Quote:
Let's see... Safari is totally ruined on rMBP (CSS not rendered correctly on half the websites, blank white pages), mouse and keyboard become unresponsive when switching GPU, background resets after every reboot, stuttering audio, etc. Yeah, I guess you're right... I should have to wait a year for these to be fixed, as should countless others who complain about the same exact problems.
That's not what I meant and you know it. Stop being condescending because it's not going to help you.

What you suffer from is very unfortunate and I would never tolerate that. But it sounds like most of that is related to software issues rather than hardware issues. Nevertheless, maybe you were talking about software updates? In that case I understand your frustration. I guess you've already done a format? Have you tried to return it and get a replacement?
Imory is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:00 PM   #45
nbnbxdnb
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1r0ll3r View Post
It's still faster than my 2010 MBP that's for sure.
I love my 2010 MacBook Pro so much that I don't want to imagine the end of its life. I upgraded it with 500g SSD plus original 500g hdd and 8g ram, so it stays super sharp even with the recourse-consuming osx 10.8... I really grown emotion on it... Pity that it can't be modified into some fish tank like G5(if I remember correctly), so I can keep the body at least.
nbnbxdnb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:19 PM   #46
nbnbxdnb
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stycool24 View Post
I love my rMacbook pro, the screen is amazing, I bought it in the first week it came out. I am a software developer and it is one of the top investments I have ever made. I used HP's and Dell's before and their user experience is nothing compared to this laptop's. But I won't be upgrading it until a much better processor and GPU come out.
Yeah, good move. I have only bought 2 MacBook pros in 6 years. They are so good, can last for yrs, and eventually I would feel very bad to throw them away. I don't see why they can be easily replaced, unless for CPU or graphic intensive work. My first 2007 mbp still servers as my girlfriend's first Mac and she absolutely loves it, even that she uses 16-core 4 monitor monster dell at work.
nbnbxdnb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 02:54 AM   #47
Krauser
macrumors regular

Apple's spearheading the much anticipated and much needed march into HiDPI computer displays for the computer industry and offering one of the nicest lines (the retina models) of laptops the company has ever made utilizing the quickest silicon intel and nvidia offer in some of the slimmest computers with the best build quality of any laptops on the market...

You guys are right, Apple is an iDevice company who has totally forgotten about the Mac...
Old Feb 23, 2013, 08:01 AM   #48
pacalis
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinoyAko View Post
My safari will be much more snappier with these performance improvements.
Probably not. According to CPU benchmark the updated entry level cpu 3635QM (passmark 5522) is MUCH lower than the 2012 3615QM (passmark 7454).

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsec View Post
I hope they don't just stick to phones and tablets. Apple's computers are awesome, especially considering the need for bootcamp. Makes my work life a lot easier!
I agree. I now use my rMBP nearly exclusively with bootcamp and it is a glorious machine.

Only if I'm traveling and goofing off/need lots of battery do I use OSX.
pacalis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 09:51 AM   #49
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

its obvious I think that apple perfected the rmbp design by now. and the spec bump is just so they can say its the early 2013 model.
i'll be waiting haswell rmbp update in the fall.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 07:36 PM   #50
jonnysods
macrumors 68030

Waiting on a second gen release before I get an rMBP.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion