Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vudude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2013
I'm new to this forum or any for that matter. I'm having an issue with synching my iphone to my windows7 computer. When I synch to itunes, I have noticed that my cpu usage is through the roof. Sometimes as high as 100% but usually 50 to 75%. I opened task manager and upon checking the list, I found that itunes and apple device manager were the issues.When I "end task" them usage drops to o%.
Does anyone know the cause of this and what it takes to fix?
Thanks

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Dunn know exact answer but I have always felt iTunesW = bloatware. Have u known iTunes to be nimble on previous WOS versions?

Mine goes to 100% too but it doesnt freeze the PC and daily syncs only takes minutes for me so meh.

Nugrl

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2013
High CPU Usage in Windows 8

Hello there!

I too am new to this forum and came here with the hopes that someone out there has come up with a solid solution for this problem. I came here only to find out that I am not alone in this and that this has been an ongoing problem for at least 2 years. I am having the same problem as vudude. The only difference is that I am running Windows 8 and having the same exact problem with the Apple software pegging out my CPU usage up to 100% at times but mainly continuing to run at 50% to 57%.

I notice it occurs after I connect my 4S to my computer to sync it and iTunes opens (currently running the newest version 11.0.2.26). I go to Task Manager and while iTunes is running I notice that the process "distnoted" jumps into action and starts with a CPU usage of 28.4%. Another process called "MobileDeviceHelper" starts at the same time and is using 26% CPU along with iTunes itself using anywhere between 2.8% to 20% CPU usage. These three processes alone total anywhere between 58% to 75% CPU but I have seen it go as high as 100%.

When my phone is done syncing, I disconnect it from the computer and close iTunes. iTunes and the "MobileDeviceHelper" process disappear from the list in Task Manager. "distnoted" stays running at 25% to 28% CPU usage and a new process called "SyncServer" starts and uses 25% to 29% CPU usage. These two processes remain running even after my phone has been disconnected and iTunes has been closed, keeping my CPU usage around 50% to 57% when nothing from Apple needs to be running.

This is what I need to have corrected because with those two processes running in the background, I can easily peg my CPU up to 100% under normal usage. I am running a quad core Q6600 with 3 GB DDR2 RAM, but I am not here to argue computer specs because I think they hold no relevance to the problem at hand. It is an issue with the Apple software continuing to run even after my phone has been disconnected from the computer and I have closed iTunes. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated!

albertxp06

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
California
No idea specifically why, but I believe it's just how iTunes works on Windows. Same happens when restoring from a backup. Maybe it's compressing your backup?

Nugrl

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2013
@ albertxp06

I don't think it has anything to do with compressing your backup because the 2 processes "distnoted" and "SyncServer" remain running until I finally have had enough and go into Task Manager and end task them. If I didn't do that they would continue to run til the cows come home...

Nugrl

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2013
@ BHP41

Ya I think you're right. I'm certainly not getting any answers here. The thing that gets me is that this has been going on for quite some time. Over 2 years to be exact. So don't you think if there are 10 yr. olds out there that can create their own apps, then surely these so called "Geniuses" should be able to put their heads together and figure this out by now?!?!

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
10 yr. olds out there that can create their own apps

Writing Apps is not that hard these days. The development kit has all the stuff already written and you just have to familiarize with the API.

surely these so called "Geniuses" should be able to put their heads together and figure this out by now?!?!

I have to think when the named them geniuses, there were some whimsy involved. Real geniuses don't directly deal with the public, and certainly get paid a lot more than those in the retail stores.

vudude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2013
Ok I've patiently waited to see if any of those geniuses have been keeping abreast of the chatter on this forum. After taking the advice of BHP41, I did go to apple forums only to find that this high cpu usage issue has been going on for a couple of years. Apple must think that we people with windows machines just don't seem to matter.
I have read almost all that I could find on apple forums about this issue and found no true fix. What really stands out to me is the fact that there have been 101541 views of this post on apple forums and that just since yesterday there were over 700 views for my post on this forum.
So I can only assume that after over 102,000 views and 214 replies that there is not one individual out there capable of fixing what only seems to be a simple program glitz.
This of course is just my humble opinion.
All comments and criticisms welcome

JAta2

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2013
itunes components sometimes looping

So I can only assume that after over 102,000 views and 214 replies that there is not one individual out there capable of fixing what only seems to be a simple program glitz.

I think distnoted and syncserver are not part of the core iTunes offering and therefore don't get updated every time iTunes has a new revision. I notice the last update for these files was back in December 2012. The problem is that these programs are looping trying to do something that never gets done. On Windows 7, I don't have this problem - only on Windows 8. I too wish Apple would be more responsive to its second class citizens.

My Windows 8 box only has a wireless network connection, my windows 7 is connected via a LAN. I wonder if that has something to do with it.

-- John

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Ok I've patiently waited to see if any of those geniuses have been keeping abreast of the chatter on this forum. After taking the advice of BHP41, I did go to apple forums only to find that this high cpu usage issue has been going on for a couple of years. Apple must think that we people with windows machines just don't seem to matter.
I have read almost all that I could find on apple forums about this issue and found no true fix. What really stands out to me is the fact that there have been 101541 views of this post on apple forums and that just since yesterday there were over 700 views for my post on this forum.

At first, Apple didn't even want to release iTunes for Windows, but they did due to popular demand. Ever since that launch (when he said hell had frozen over and that iTunes was probably the best Windows app ever made), iTunes for Windows has been the, worst, program, ever. You can run it on the fastest computer with all the latest and greatest hardware, and it will still run slower than on any mac you can install it on.

iTunes for mac is so smooth, it's ridiculous. For Windows, not so much. I honestly do believe that they have NO interest what so ever in tweaking iTunes into being even almost as good on Windows, because they want to steer people over to macs. They port iTunes, they make sure to fix any bugs that has to do with functionality, but for the rest they just leave it be.

To me, iTunes' abysmal performance on Windows is proof of Apple not being the least bit interested in helping their customers that use non-mac computers with anything more than the bare minimum. Not that they can't fix it. They just won't. Because they don't want to...

vudude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2013
Thank you hafr for telling it the way it really is. One would think the we people who chose to purchase an iphone from apple would be granted some consideration. But as we pc folk have discovered that's just not so.
Is it true that Samsung is outdoing the iphone? And how do they treat windows users?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I'm new to this forum or any for that matter. I'm having an issue with synching my iphone to my windows7 computer. When I synch to itunes, I have noticed that my cpu usage is through the roof. ...

Is your phone set to down sample music to a lower bit rate? Is so them iTune will use all the CPU resources it can to do the requested transcoding. It is a check box, many people check that box to save memory space

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.