Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michaelsaxon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 15, 2006
OK. Apologies in advance if this is a dumb question. I'm thinking about getting rid of my phone service on my iPhone 4 (too expensive, don't use it that much, can get data with my iPad Mini that is cheaper).

Anyhow, if I disconnect the service, what should I expect to happen with my phone? Will I still be able to use GPS for apps like Runkeeper? Will it be functionally identical to an iPod Touch? Any things I'm not considering?

Thanks.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
OK. Apologies in advance if this is a dumb question. I'm thinking about getting rid of my phone service on my iPhone 4 (too expensive, don't use it that much, can get data with my iPad Mini that is cheaper).

Anyhow, if I disconnect the service, what should I expect to happen with my phone? Will I still be able to use GPS for apps like Runkeeper? Will it be functionally identical to an iPod Touch? Any things I'm not considering?

Thanks.

Everything will work that does not need data. GPS will work but maps won't without data. If cost is an issue how will you afford the iPad data plan?

michaelsaxon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 15, 2006
Thanks.

My phone (even after a discount) is $80 a month and I really only use data and iMessage with it. I rarely make calls. When I need to, I can use our VOIP phone at home or my wife's cell.

My iPad Mini data plan is $30 a month.

$80 - $30 = $50 saved a month.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
There are cheaper pre-paid plans for the casual user, but is cool, use it as an iPod. Am sure some camping-type apps u can pre-load maps like finding your way in the boondocks.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Thanks.

My phone (even after a discount) is $80 a month and I really only use data and iMessage with it. I rarely make calls. When I need to, I can use our VOIP phone at home or my wife's cell.

My iPad Mini data plan is $30 a month.

$80 - $30 = $50 saved a month.

You could get it unlocked and use one of the prepaid options like Tmobile or Straight talk which are $30-50 per month depending on which plan you choose.

In fact since you rarely make calls, Tmobile has a 100 minute, 5GB prepaid plan for $30 per month.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
If you cancel your iPad data plan as well, use i.e. the option above on your iPhone and then tether your iPad to the iPhone, you won't loose any functionality at all (except that you need to keep your iPhone in a 30ft radius (read: in your pocket) when you want to surf over cellular on your iPad).

Nolander07

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
If connected to wifi it would be identical to an iPod touch. I have been doing that with my old iPhone 4 for a few months. Everything will work except phone and regular texts (iMessage will work).

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
If connected to wifi it would be identical to an iPod touch. I have been doing that with my old iPhone 4 for a few months. Everything will work except phone and regular texts (iMessage will work).

This plus added GPS.

michaelsaxon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 15, 2006
I've shied away from those other plans because some aren't 3G (I can't even imagine going back to EDGE) and I've read reviews of others that say they get hosed on the data (bandwidth caps,etc.) or that they have really poor customer service. This was a while ago, so perhaps I need to reconsider this.

Plus, my iPhone is unlocked... Thanks for all the valuable input!

antman2295

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2010
I've shied away from those other plans because some aren't 3G (I can't even imagine going back to EDGE) and I've read reviews of others that say they get hosed on the data (bandwidth caps,etc.) or that they have really poor customer service. This was a while ago, so perhaps I need to reconsider this.

Plus, my iPhone is unlocked... Thanks for all the valuable input!

Straight talk runs off of At&t's towers, and they are only $45 a month for unlimited everything.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I have a 3GS which was originally on AT&T. I'm on Sprint (the 3GS is not my main phone), so since it was given to me I've used it as a backup phone/iPod touch.

I put Talkatone on it. Talkatone leverages Google Voice and allows you to make VOIP calls/SMS/MMS, all free when on WiFi. iMessage still works, but it shows my iMessage friends an email address instead of a phone number because the phone is not activated.

So as long as I am on WiFi I get the same functionality with Talkatone as I would if the phone was actually using a carrier. Every place I go (home, work, Starbucks) has WiFi so this works. Google Voice is free of course and they let you choose your number.

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
Can you receive calls on your google phone number in a Wi-Fi area? If yes, do you have to log out from google talk on all PC/laptops for this to happen?
I have a 3GS which was originally on AT&T. I'm on Sprint (the 3GS is not my main phone), so since it was given to me I've used it as a backup phone/iPod touch.

I put Talkatone on it. Talkatone leverages Google Voice and allows you to make VOIP calls/SMS/MMS, all free when on WiFi. iMessage still works, but it shows my iMessage friends an email address instead of a phone number because the phone is not activated.

So as long as I am on WiFi I get the same functionality with Talkatone as I would if the phone was actually using a carrier. Every place I go (home, work, Starbucks) has WiFi so this works. Google Voice is free of course and they let you choose your number.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Can you receive calls on your google phone number in a Wi-Fi area? If yes, do you have to log out from google talk on all PC/laptops for this to happen?
Yes, you can receive calls and messages. You just have to have the Talkatone app running. It runs in the background so you can continue to do everything else you want to do. It will also warn you when it's about to terminate so that you can open it again and keep it going. When you get a call or text it pops up just like it does normally.

The dev suggests not messing with any settings if you login to your GV account on a computer. I suppose that's a downside, but I don't use GV on any of my computers so that doesn't affect me. If you do use it on your computers then you may have a conflict.

Talkatone is here (and also in the app store). I chose it at the time because I wanted an app that let me make normal calls and messaging without requiring the people I wanted to communicate with to install anything.

Oh yeah. It's fully functional with ads. You don't have to buy it to get the full functionality, but if you do it removes ads and gives you a few extra perks.

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
Thanks.
I presume you do a call forward of your GV number not to your any cell number but to your google messenger account? For some reason, my GV calls terminate on my Android device which has a SIM, not on my iPhone 5 with no SIM.
Yes, you can receive calls and messages. You just have to have the Talkatone app running. It runs in the background so you can continue to do everything else you want to do. It will also warn you when it's about to terminate so that you can open it again and keep it going. When you get a call or text it pops up just like it does normally.

The dev suggests not messing with any settings if you login to your GV account on a computer. I suppose that's a downside, but I don't use GV on any of my computers so that doesn't affect me. If you do use it on your computers then you may have a conflict.

Talkatone is here (and also in the app store). I chose it at the time because I wanted an app that let me make normal calls and messaging without requiring the people I wanted to communicate with to install anything.

Oh yeah. It's fully functional with ads. You don't have to buy it to get the full functionality, but if you do it removes ads and gives you a few extra perks.

michaelsaxon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 15, 2006
Well, I've just paid Google Voice $20 to port my number to their service. If I have this figured out right, they will just cancel my AT&T account, which I have no need to resume with a different number, and I still have my phone number safely ensconced in the Google Voice service.

I've also downloaded that Talkatone app...

I'll let everyone know how this goes.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Thanks.
I presume you do a call forward of your GV number not to your any cell number but to your google messenger account? For some reason, my GV calls terminate on my Android device which has a SIM, not on my iPhone 5 with no SIM.
I don't know how to answer that one. Talkatone takes care of all the setup. I simply gave it my Google credentials and it set all that stuff up with my GV number. What it does behind the scenes I don't know. However, I'm on Sprint and Sprint has a deal with GV where you can call the GV number and it will ring your cell phone. But it never gets to that point because Talkatone intercepts the call on my 3GS. If I don't pick up on the 3GS it just goes to voicemail instead of ringing my iPhone 5.

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
Thanks.

That's right. The Talkatone app logs in as your Google Talk, so you want to make sure that you have that set up to ring in your Google Voice preferences.

michaelsaxon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 15, 2006
Google Voice's porting of my number finished last night. Everything, including the Talkatone app, seems to be working just fine. I have my GV number forwarding to my home phone and the Talkatone app, which all seems to work splendidly on my home network.

I'm going to try some things with my iPad Mini and its LTE connection today.

michaelsaxon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 15, 2006
I think this combination is brilliant. Between GV's ability to forward my old cell to my work phone, home VOIP phone, and this app on my Mini, I'm rocking! And I've made several outbound calls on the Mini and my headphones/mic with this app.

I'm satisfied!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.