Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:53 PM   #51
Breaking Good
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMikeT View Post
As usual, I stopped reading at "analyst".
+1,000 iMikeT.

Isn't it nice to know that if you can't do anything else, you can always be a Wall Street analyst.
Breaking Good is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:22 PM   #52
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Good View Post
+1,000 iMikeT.

Isn't it nice to know that if you can't do anything else, you can always be a Wall Street analyst.

Thank you.

Definitely nice isn't it? Though, I think the job title of "Analyst" should be changed to "Professional Guesser".
iMikeT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:42 PM   #53
Breaking Good
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMikeT View Post
As usual, I stopped reading at "analyst".
+1,000 iMikeT.

Personally, I hope Apple does do this as I would like to put my money into the top of the line full-size iPad and the top of the line iPad mini. I want my Smartphone to be compatible with my computer and tablet, but I don't need or want to do a lot with my phone. I'd rather use a tablet.

With that said, I don't see Apple bothering with a lower cost iPhone. They market themselves a making a premium product and charge a premium price for it. A lower cost phone goes against that.

I do willingly admit, however, that if Apple does release a lower cost phone in a smaller form factor to that of the iPhone 5, I will be on the pre-order list.
Breaking Good is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:59 PM   #54
OrangeSVTguy
macrumors 601

Why not put 4gb in it for iOS and then put in a SD card slot and let the consumer decide how much storage they want. Reducing to minimal amount of memory would save a ton of money.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:47 PM   #55
topmounter
macrumors 68000

It makes perfect sense... if you think they've run out of innovative ideas.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:15 AM   #56
OLDCODGER
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by topmounter View Post
It makes perfect sense... if you think they've run out of innovative ideas.
The Rolex watch wasn't exactly innovative, either.
OLDCODGER is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:39 AM   #57
bigubosu
macrumors newbie

next leap..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry&Foolish View Post
Instead of leading the way, Apple might follow the way. I don't like that trend. SAD.
Seems that way however I doubt there is much more you can do in these generation of phones. We need to go to the next stage whatever that is..

Something like Google Glasses looks promising but that's like an old nokia phone in comparison. Something like Google Glasses but in the form of a contact lense would be awesome.
bigubosu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 01:37 AM   #58
flux73
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatalbert View Post
A low-cost iPhone might hurt high-end iPhone sales and hurt Apple's good image. I don't want to see Apple selling half-***ed products.
Do you consider the iPad mini half-***ed? One could argue that it's a low-cost iPad.
flux73 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 01:48 AM   #59
HarryKNN21
macrumors regular

Would this indicate the death of iPod Touch is coming as soon as cheaper iPhone starts to sell?

Phone: iPhone 5S 16GB
HarryKNN21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 02:56 AM   #60
nexx27
macrumors newbie

Quote:
1) iPad Mini is expanding Apple's customer base with 50% of purchases in China/Brazil representing new customers to the ecosystem.
That's ********, as of 23/feb, they didn't release iPad Mini here in Brazil.

See for yourself: http://store.apple.com/br/browse/home/shop_ipad
nexx27 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 05:08 AM   #61
TC03
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSVTguy View Post
Why not put 4gb in it for iOS and then put in a SD card slot and let the consumer decide how much storage they want. Reducing to minimal amount of memory would save a ton of money.
Great idea. In addition, why not make a task manager so the user can decide which processes should be given priority?
TC03 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 05:11 AM   #62
lucasfer899
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSVTguy View Post
Nice idea. But then they wont be able to charge people £80 for 16GB of extra flash memory.
I think a low cost iPhone would be a good idea, that way apple will be able to regain the market share that it has lot to samsung. :gross:
lucasfer899 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 05:21 AM   #63
TC03
macrumors 6502a

A lower-cost iPhone is inevitable.

The whole system of phone subsidies is getting old-fashioned. First of all, the system itself is skewed. For some reason, people have accepted that the monthly charged is high so that the price of the phone can be low. This is nothing more than a trick to get customers into signing up for a contract. The whole system is based on a trick! That's not sustainable.

It won't take too long before carriers and customers figure this out. In Europe, carriers already have, and it's no secret that iPhone popularity has been going down the drain in some European countries. If you can reduce your monthly fee by 50% at the cost of using a Galaxy S Mini (or whatever) instead of an iPhone 5, people will start thinking: do I really want an iPhone that much? Lots of people do, but I can assure you, lots of people don't.

Then there's the argument of the iPhone 4. People will say: Apple already has a cheap iPhone, it's called the iPhone 4. Partly true. But the iPhone 4 is old, and again: lots of people don't want old. They want cheap and they want new.

Second, Apple doesn't like fragmentation, and the iPhone 4 and 4S have different screen sizes than the iPhone 5. A redcution of fragmentation can be achieved by releasing a cheaper iPhone with 16:9 screen.

The whole 'last year's top model is the new budget model'-thing is ok, but it gives Apple less control over the market.
TC03 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 05:29 AM   #64
champ01

Maybe Apple should change their name to iProfit.

With all that cash Apple seems in worse shape ever.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 07:22 AM   #65
NeuroArtist
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryKNN21 View Post
Would this indicate the death of iPod Touch is coming as soon as cheaper iPhone starts to sell?
I think it is the opposite, with the iWatch, coming with multiple SIM card slots, people will use the iPod touch as hand sets, with a range of iPod handsets, from the iPod nano 2.5 inch, 3.5 inch iPod touch4, 4 inch iPod touch 5, 4.8 inch iPod touch 6, they'll revamp them, and you'll end up w much cooler form factor than the current iPhones, and you can use the iPads as conference call platforms. Think about it, it makes perfect sense. The iPhone will go!
NeuroArtist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:16 AM   #66
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryKNN21 View Post
Now this is interesting, if the lower price iphone start at $300 -$350 it would compete with the ipod touch.

But, I think apple sees it as IOS devices. no matter device people buy it would count as IOS market share. like cook said, if we don't cannibalize, someone else will.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:57 AM   #67
OrangeSVTguy
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC03 View Post
Great idea. In addition, why not make a task manager so the user can decide which processes should be given priority?
What's that have to do with making a cheaper phone?
Old Feb 23, 2013, 01:13 PM   #68
rMBP13
Banned

Brilliant moves by Apple! Love you, Tim Cook!
rMBP13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 02:13 PM   #69
Fatalbert
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flux73 View Post
Do you consider the iPad mini half-***ed? One could argue that it's a low-cost iPad.
No, I don't. It's just smaller. I might take it over a full-sized one ignoring the cost.
Fatalbert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 07:17 PM   #70
Gemütlichkeit
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterKeeks View Post
And when does Apple listen to analysts?
Exactly. This is what I don't want apple to become. A design by committee company.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:45 PM   #71
somethingelsefl
macrumors 6502

Apple made a 'low-cost' iPhone in the past: the Rokr. That was a DISASTER!

Apple currently makes 'low-cost' iPhone with the newest features: the iPod Touch.

Apple also currently sells a 'low-cost' iPhone with a smaller feature set: the iPhone 4S (which is reduced in price)

What am I missing here?
somethingelsefl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:52 AM   #72
HavocLink
macrumors newbie

The problem isn't lowering the price of the phones. It's lowering the price of phone plans. When you have service providers like Verizon, AT&T, etc. sitting on an ever growing mountain of cash that they GOUGE from us every month, you have a problem.
HavocLink is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 01:14 AM   #73
AppleScruff1
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavocLink View Post
The problem isn't lowering the price of the phones. It's lowering the price of phone plans. When you have service providers like Verizon, AT&T, etc. sitting on an ever growing mountain of cash that they GOUGE from us every month, you have a problem.
ROFLMAO! Yea, those carriers are gouging while poor Apple's cash pile is only $137 billion. Thank goodness Apple sells their products for a minimal profit to help out the poor consumer.
AppleScruff1 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:44 PM   #74
topmounter
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDCODGER View Post
The Rolex watch wasn't exactly innovative, either.
They're also not disposable consumer electronics.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 01:18 PM   #75
JAT
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingelsefl View Post
Apple made a 'low-cost' iPhone in the past: the Rokr. That was a DISASTER!
It certainly was a disaster. However, it was not an iPhone.
JAT is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion