Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Farkus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
Hi, all, I'm rather indecisive at the moment and could use some of your opinions to help me pick a Macbook. For work purposes it will be for web development which means I'll be running Photoshop, an IDE, a couple browsers likely with multiple tabs, Windows 7 via Parallels, and one or more Office apps. For play, it will mostly be a really expensive way for me to view funny cat videos. I have a PC for major gaming. Playing the occasional game on the go would be a nice option but it's not a deal breaker. I'd like to one day get into video editing and 3D modeling but if my chosen Macbook can't handle it I could always use my gaming rig. So that said, which of the following would be the best for my situation.

The Non-Retinas include hi-res antiglare, third-party 512GB SSD, and third-party 16GB RAM

$2797 - New Non-Retina with 2.6GHz, 1GB video
$2580 - New Non-Retina with 2.3GHz, 512MB video
$2306 - Refurb Retina with 2.6GHz, 1GB video, 512GB SSD, 8GB RAM

Thank you for your help.

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States
Hi, all, I'm rather indecisive at the moment and could use some of your opinions to help me pick a Macbook. For work purposes it will be for web development which means I'll be running Photoshop, an IDE, a couple browsers likely with multiple tabs, Windows 7 via Parallels, and one or more Office apps. For play, it will mostly be a really expensive way for me to view funny cat videos. I have a PC for major gaming. Playing the occasional game on the go would be a nice option but it's not a deal breaker. I'd like to one day get into video editing and 3D modeling but if my chosen Macbook can't handle it I could always use my gaming rig. So that said, which of the following would be the best for my situation.

The Non-Retinas include hi-res antiglare, third-party 512GB SSD, and third-party 16GB RAM

Thank you for your help.

Why not get a refurb non-Retina MBP? You can get your first option for roughly $1.7K (although you will have to pay $80 for 16GB RAM and slightly more for the SSD).

Option 2 is pointless with only 512MB VRAM since you plan on some gaming, Photoshop, and especially video editing and 3D modeling.

With option 3, sooner or later you'll need more than 8GB RAM. Having 16GB RAM helps "time proof" things.

Farkus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
Why not get a refurb non-Retina MBP? You can get your first option for roughly $1.7K (although you will have to pay $80 for 16GB RAM and slightly more for the SSD).

Option 2 is pointless with only 512MB VRAM since you plan on some gaming, Photoshop, and especially video editing and 3D modeling.

With option 3, sooner or later you'll need more than 8GB RAM. Having 16GB RAM helps "time proof" things.

I'd love to buy a refurb non-Retina but I'm stuck on getting the hi-res antiglare screen and the only ones listed in the refurb section are either from 2011 or a 2012 with a 1TB HDD and 8GB Ram, both of which hike up the price and will likely get replaced third-party. There was one listed last week with the exact specs I wanted but it has since disappeared. Also, I have trust issues and only want to purchase from the Apple Store. :eek:

----------

I think I'm too new to the site because it says I'm not allowed to see that link.

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
I'd love to buy a refurb non-Retina but I'm stuck on getting the hi-res antiglare screen and the only ones listed in the refurb section are either from 2011 or a 2012 with a 1TB HDD and 8GB Ram, both of which hike up the price and will likely get replaced third-party. There was one listed last week with the exact specs I wanted but it has since disappeared. Also, I have trust issues and only want to purchase from the Apple Store. :eek:

----------

I think I'm too new to the site because it says I'm not allowed to see that link.

See if you can see this link.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1746390

It's mine.

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States

----------

Refurbs are directly from Apple, so no issues there. It might be worth waiting to see if others pop-up. It might have to come down to hi-res antiglare or save roughly $1K (because that's basically the price difference).

If you're that intent on spending $1K for hi-res antiglare, you might as well get your 3rd option and end up paying Apple for the 16GB RAM instead of the default 8GB. My guess is this would price it roughly around your first option.

Farkus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
See if you can see this link.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1746390

It's mine.

That's a fantastic price and I can't believe it hasn't sold yet but I think I'm going to narrow my search down to the models with a 1GB card. I appreciate the offer though.

----------

Refurbs are directly from Apple, so no issues there. It might be worth waiting to see if others pop-up. It might have to come down to hi-res antiglare or save roughly $1K (because that's basically the price difference).

If you're that intent on spending $1K for hi-res antiglare, you might as well get your 3rd option and end up paying Apple for the 16GB RAM instead of the default 8GB. My guess is this would price it roughly around your first option.

My prices listed include about $512 for the SSD, RAM, and shipping from Newegg along with taxes so the 1.7K refurbs currently listed (10/2011) would come out to $2449. As for Apple upgrading the RAM in the Retina, I was under the impression that not even they could upgrade that after purchase? Or were you suggesting I buy new?

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States
That's a fantastic price and I can't believe it hasn't sold yet but I think I'm going to narrow my search down to the models with a 1GB card. I appreciate the offer though.

----------

My prices listed include about $512 for the SSD, RAM, and shipping from Newegg along with taxes so the 1.7K refurbs currently listed (10/2011) would come out to $2449. As for Apple upgrading the RAM in the Retina, I was under the impression that not even they could upgrade that after purchase? Or were you suggesting I buy new?

I was suggesting you pay Apple for the 16GB RAM in the 3rd option. I believe it's somewhere along the lines of $400 more, but don't quote me on that. If I'm correct, that would bring it to roughly around the price of the first option, $2.7K.

16GB RAM, a Quad-i7 2.6Ghz, a GPU w/ 1GB VRAM, and a 512GB SSD would be a pretty powerful, fast, beautiful machine, especially with a Retina display.

Farkus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
I was suggesting you pay Apple for the 16GB RAM in the 3rd option. I believe it's somewhere along the lines of $400 more, but don't quote me on that. If I'm correct, that would bring it to roughly around the price of the first option, $2.7K.

16GB RAM, a Quad-i7 2.6Ghz, a GPU w/ 1GB VRAM, and a 512GB SSD would be a pretty powerful, fast, beautiful machine, especially with a Retina display.

Ah, okay, the third option is a refurb and there's no opportunity to change the configuration. I think I'll do what you suggest and camp out on the refurb page hoping my ideal configuration shows up. Thank you for all the help.

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States
Ah, okay, the third option is a refurb and there's no opportunity to change the configuration. I think I'll do what you suggest and camp out on the refurb page hoping my ideal configuration shows up. Thank you for all the help.

Glad to help.

I did just however configure/customize a 15" rMBP with these specs:
- 2.7Ghz Quad-i7
- 16GB RAM
- 1GB VRAM
- 512GB Flash Storage

And it came out to $2,799 USD in the Apple Store.

Farkus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
Glad to help.

I did just however configure/customize a 15" rMBP with these specs:
- 2.7Ghz Quad-i7
- 16GB RAM
- 1GB VRAM
- 512GB Flash Storage

And it came out to $2,799 USD in the Apple Store.

Yes, I've been going back and forth with the idea of blowing up the piggy bank and going that route. It's the default config for the top of the line model and I can just go pick it up from the store instead of waiting for shipping so that's a bonus. After taxes it boils down to $739 over the refurb for 0.1GHz, 8GB RAM, and all the other things that come with the latest refresh.

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States
Yes, I've been going back and forth with the idea of blowing up the piggy bank and going that route. It's the default config for the top of the line model and I can just go pick it up from the store instead of waiting for shipping so that's a bonus. After taxes it boils down to $739 over the refurb for 0.1GHz, 8GB RAM, and all the other things that come with the latest refresh.

Yeah it's tough, because Apple no longer officially offer the non-Retina MBP with 1GB VRAM from the Apple Store (non-Refurb). So customizing one of those isn't an option.

Have you thought about waiting for the Haswell refresh? That's always an option if you think you can wait that long.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009

Thank you for your help.

Without a doubt get the refurb retina. It's a beautiful piece of kit. Don't worry about only 8GB of ram, the SSD speed more than makes up for that.

Nararabbit

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2013
Sunny SoCal
I have the 15" rmbp refurb you reference. I love it dearly and am so glad I got a refurb, I saved a lot of money for the exact same computer! In fact, in my case, it was never even used once! That's a no brainer for me. :D

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2009
+1 for refurb Retina!

My first rMBP (basic 2.3ghz but with 16GB Ram), which bought "new" from a folk which got it as a warranty exchange from Apple (so think was a refurb) was great, no issue whatsoever. Just sold it and bought another rMBP from a guy in Ebay with just 2 months of use (This time, a 2.6 Ghz, 16GB Ram and 768GB SSD) and just have 16 cycles on the battery, just like new condition! :)

Farkus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
Have you thought about waiting for the Haswell refresh? That's always an option if you think you can wait that long.

Well thanks to you I didn't pull the trigger yesterday and this morning Apple updated their refurb inventory. I just snagged a Retina with 16GB and 512GB for $2490. $490 over budget but it's oh so shiny.

Check Macmall as they have some nice deals on new and open box MacBook Pros:

$2,254 for 2.6 Ghz, 512GB SSD and 8GB RAM (Open Box)

$2,370 same config, but sealed

http://m.macmall.com/home#/ttsvr/s/search?q=Mc976

unless you dont trust that site?

Thanks for the links but I'm fully indoctrinated by Apple and only really feel comfortable ordering from them. Their refurb prices also come out to slightly less than what Macmall lists.

Without a doubt get the refurb retina. It's a beautiful piece of kit. Don't worry about only 8GB of ram, the SSD speed more than makes up for that.

I have the 15" rmbp refurb you reference. I love it dearly and am so glad I got a refurb, I saved a lot of money for the exact same computer! In fact, in my case, it was never even used once! That's a no brainer for me. :D

+1 for refurb Retina!

My first rMBP (basic 2.3ghz but with 16GB Ram), which bought "new" from a folk which got it as a warranty exchange from Apple (so think was a refurb) was great, no issue whatsoever. Just sold it and bought another rMBP from a guy in Ebay with just 2 months of use (This time, a 2.6 Ghz, 16GB Ram and 768GB SSD) and just have 16 cycles on the battery, just like new condition! :)

Sold! Now all I have to do is wait until March 7 for it to arrive.

swerve147

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
Refurb.me

You are ordering directly from Apple when you use refurb.me . The important thing the site does is track the inventory on the Apple Refurb store for you and sends you an alert when the config you want is in stock.

Farkus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
You are ordering directly from Apple when you use refurb.me . The important thing the site does is track the inventory on the Apple Refurb store for you and sends you an alert when the config you want is in stock.

Ah, yes, it even clearly states as such in the text that I didn't bother to read. That's a really awesome site and definitely going in the bookmarks. Thank you!

AppleTecFan

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2009
N/A
I was in the same postion as you less than a month ago. bought the non-retina MacBook Pro. Totally regret it; granted I still love it, but I have spent money on serveral upgrades on it, exceeding the price of the Retina MacBook. But my choices may differ from yours

Essenar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
If I were buying a 15" today, I would go Retina Refurbished with 16GB and never look back. The weight (almost as light as 13" classic pro), better screen and non compromised specs make it an excellent machine.

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States
Well thanks to you I didn't pull the trigger yesterday and this morning Apple updated their refurb inventory. I just snagged a Retina with 16GB and 512GB for $2490. $490 over budget but it's oh so shiny.

Thanks for the links but I'm fully indoctrinated by Apple and only really feel comfortable ordering from them. Their refurb prices also come out to slightly less than what Macmall lists.

Sold! Now all I have to do is wait until March 7 for it to arrive.

Glad to have helped and hope it works out for you :) Enjoy your new machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.