Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:05 AM   #1
nightlong
macrumors 6502

Anyone got a Nifty Drive yet?

I ordered and paid for one in December, for Macbook Air, it is supposed to be shipping in January, though no news yet on when. Has anyone who ordered earlier got it yet?
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:08 AM   #2
drsox
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlong View Post
I ordered and paid for one in December, for Macbook Air, it is supposed to be shipping in January, though no news yet on when. Has anyone who ordered earlier got it yet?
Here's an extract from their latest email (14Jan2012) to their original backers :

Assembly using the new glue is set to begin this Wednesday. Our yield is expected to be 2,000 units per day for the first couple of days while we review the results. As long as everything is going smoothly, we will be moving up to 4,000 units per day by Monday next week.

At the end of each day, we will be air freighting out the completed units to our logistics base in the UK. From there we will be sending the MiniDrives on to our backers.

Air freight from China takes 3 days. Pick and pack will take 1 day per shipment from China. Shipment from the UK to our backers is via air freight, and will take 3-7 days to arrive normally, but please allow up to two weeks, depending on location.

Based on this schedule, we will have shipped out to all our backers by the end of this month. This is, as always, dependant on our manufacturers and quality control.

Unquote

So expect something first week February I guess.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:12 AM   #3
Tanax
macrumors 6502a

What's the purpose of this? XD
It's a regular microSD adapter except it's more expensive than others?
Tanax is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:31 AM   #4
rscott4563
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanax View Post
What's the purpose of this? XD
It's a regular microSD adapter except it's more expensive than others?
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ifty-minidrive

Basically lets you fit a microSD card into the SD card slot without it poking of the side of the MacBook like a normal SD card or micro SD card adaptor would. Also they're high quality anodised aluminium to match the MacBook.

My last email from Steven Levy at Nifty said that I would definitely get mine before the end of January, fingers crossed! I'm UK based though so it might be a bit later for international orders.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:32 AM   #5
JesterJJZ
macrumors 68000

I hate it when people call storage space "memory."

Memory means RAM.
JesterJJZ is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:19 AM   #6
nightlong
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsox View Post
Here's an extract from their latest email (14Jan2012) to their original backers :

Assembly using the new glue is set to begin this Wednesday. Our yield is expected to be 2,000 units per day for the first couple of days while we review the results. As long as everything is going smoothly, we will be moving up to 4,000 units per day by Monday next week.

At the end of each day, we will be air freighting out the completed units to our logistics base in the UK. From there we will be sending the MiniDrives on to our backers.

Air freight from China takes 3 days. Pick and pack will take 1 day per shipment from China. Shipment from the UK to our backers is via air freight, and will take 3-7 days to arrive normally, but please allow up to two weeks, depending on location.

Based on this schedule, we will have shipped out to all our backers by the end of this month. This is, as always, dependant on our manufacturers and quality control.

Unquote

So expect something first week February I guess.
Thanks for the information. Their website isn't too helpful, says they've sold out but will be resuming in the new year.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:21 AM   #7
rscott4563
macrumors member

Quote:
Thanks for the information. Their website isn't too helpful, says they've sold out but will be resuming in the new year.
They've updated the website here with the most recent details.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:32 AM   #8
nightlong
macrumors 6502

No Show Nifty!

So, it is end of January, when Nifty Drives are supposed to be shipping, but there is nothing but silence from them. Their website still says Hi Folks, we've sold out we'll be up and running again in the New Year.

What new year is that ... 2014?

They got a quarter of a million from backers and were supposed to ship November. They can't even be bothered to update customers on what seems to be another delay.

Rude.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 01:25 PM   #9
Opp
macrumors newbie

This is a mess, glad to see they are doing well now though.
Shouldn't be too much longer of a wait
Opp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 01:33 PM   #10
Senseotech
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to Senseotech
Quote:
So, it is end of January, when Nifty Drives are supposed to be shipping, but there is nothing but silence from them. Their website still says Hi Folks, we've sold out we'll be up and running again in the New Year.

They got a quarter of a million from backers and were supposed to ship November. They can't even be bothered to update customers on what seems to be another delay.

Rude.
Actually they've been posting updates regularly on the kickstarter page, which makes absolute sense. The retail site is for just that, sales and information for those who want to buy one now. The Kickstarter page is for everyone who backed them and is getting a reward for doing so.
Senseotech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:06 PM   #11
drsox
macrumors 65816

Quote:

Rude.
No. Latest email 28Jan says :

Project Update #30: Assembly and Fufillment
Posted by niftydrives
Hi guys and gals,

I am glad to say we have two good pieces of news this week for you;

The assembly line has been up and running for the last week and cartons of MiniDrives are winging their way back to the UK for fulfillment. The first 1,000 Minidrives (a mixture of Silver Air, Pro and Retina Minidrives) have arrived in the UK today for fulfilment. A further 6,000 Minidrives have been assembled and will be tested and packaged over the next few days before being sent back to the UK (3 days from the factory to our logistics base in the UK).

After the first full week of assembly, and as workers get used to their role on the assembly line we are getting a clearer picture of our daily capacity. Our last update was a tad optimistic and we are realistically looking at assembling, testing and packaging 1,500 Minidrives per day, which will be sent back to the UK in daily batches to expedite the whole process. With this in mind, fulfillment from our UK logistics base will take place over the next two weeks. As mentioned in the previous update, shipment from the UK to our backers is via airfreight, and will take 3-7 days to arrive normally, but please allow up to two weeks, depending on location.

We are really proud of the product that is going out to you but also realistic that this is our first attempt at anything on this scale. Every single Minidrive that is packaged and sent back must be passed through a professional tester to ensure the integrity of the connections. However, should there be an issue we want to emphasize we will be employing a no quibbles replacement policy.

For those of you who have written to us over the last two weeks, we apologize for the tardiness of getting back to you and are now working our way through all emails and replying personally.

We’ll do another shipment update towards the end of next week.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 10:10 AM   #12
bdrake47
macrumors regular

Still waiting too...

Can confirm the same emails from Kickstarter.

They've had some delays, but that is fairly typical of a lot of Tech & Design projects on Kickstarter. As pointed out, being a backer comes with rewards for doing so.

Far too many folks seem to think Kickstarter is a shopping site and really go into a rage when there are delays.

Expecting two Nifty-mini drives sometime this month (Feb) hopefully.
bdrake47 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 11:25 AM   #13
Jynto
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterJJZ View Post
I hate it when people call storage space "memory."

Memory means RAM.
It annoys me when people call RAM "memory".

Memory, to me at least, could mean either hard disk or RAM.
Jynto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 11:27 AM   #14
plaxico44
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jynto View Post
It annoys me when people call RAM "memory".

Memory, to me at least, could mean either hard disk or RAM.
RAM is memory, hard drive is "disk space"
plaxico44 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:53 AM   #15
GBR66
macrumors newbie

They sent me a drive...but the wrong model

After 2 months they sent me a Pro model which doesn't fit the Air - despite the packaging saying its an Air....they haven't replied to my e-mails over the last two weeks - very disappointed with them - would avoid until they can get their act together.
GBR66 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:44 AM   #16
Opp
macrumors newbie

I almost forgot I bought one, need to go ahead a pick up a sd card now
Opp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:34 AM   #17
drsox
macrumors 65816

Email 32 from Nifty Drive say that all the first batch has been shipped. So if you don't get yours you know what to do. Mine hasn't appeared yet, so i'll be chasing them.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:14 AM   #18
Fed
macrumors 6502

I got mine today
Fed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:30 AM   #19
dma550
macrumors 6502

have they opened up for new orders yet?
dma550 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:09 AM   #20
Podifer
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma550 View Post
have they opened up for new orders yet?
Well, I wouldn't rush to order one just yet. I'm in the UK and my drive arrived about 4 weeks ago - only it has the 'Read Only' fault as listed on their site. Wrapping tape around the drive makes it readable most of the time, but I've given up using it - don't like having the tape in my machine, and having to fish it in and out to get it recognised as Read/Write defeats the purpose.

Had to email support a few times before I got a reply to say that they've put me down for a free replacement drive. That's good, but as for when or if I'll ever see it...who knows...
Podifer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:37 AM   #21
nightlong
macrumors 6502

Mine has just shipped. If it has the read-only problem I won't be doing the cello tape thing, I'll be asking for a replacement within a reasonable amount of time, like a month, or a refund.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:59 AM   #22
Fed
macrumors 6502

I ordered the blue one and it sits relatively flush e.g. you can feel the drive there when running your finger along the laptop. Nonetheless it looks good and beat my expectations. I ordered a new Micro SD card today which should be here tomorrow with Amazon Prime. Give it a proper go then.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	398746  
Fed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:02 AM   #23
drsox
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed View Post
I ordered the blue one and it sits relatively flush e.g. you can feel the drive there when running your finger along the laptop. Nonetheless it looks good and beat my expectations. I ordered a new Micro SD card today which should be here tomorrow with Amazon Prime. Give it a proper go then.
I was expecting flush so this would not be as expected.

Last edited by drsox; Feb 24, 2013 at 02:54 AM.
drsox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 03:43 PM   #24
No-Me
macrumors 6502

I received them yesterday. It's is perfect, it works awesome and I love it as I don't use my SD slot a lot.
Mine is 100% flush
No-Me is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 04:06 PM   #25
ChunkAhoy
macrumors member

I got mine yesterday but i cannot write to the flash when using the Nifty
I sent an email to Nifty and i'm waiting for their answer.
ChunkAhoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals