Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:30 PM   #1
whobeadrian
macrumors newbie

iPhone 5 32GB - ATT(249) or Verizon(199)?

I plan on finally making the switch from Android to iPhone. I hate ATT, was with them several years ago (when they were Cingular) and switched to TMobile but ATT currently has the best LTE coverage where I live. I tested with a friend's ATT iPhone 5 and I was able to get good LTE signal inside of my apt.

With Verizon, I have no beef with since I have never been a customer of theirs and few people that have had them never complained about them. I tested coverage with a friend's LTE Android phone (Bionic), I was only able to get about 2-3 bars of 3G inside of the apt. Verizon signal seems to boot down to 3G coverage around my apt complex (1-2 block radius) then it goes back to 4G LTE once outside that area.

Right now Fry's has a special on 32GB iPhone for 249 and I signed up for Best Buy's GC offer so I can take it down an additional 50. Unfortunately, Frys is out of ATTs 32GB iPhones for a while so BB won't price match it because the item is not in stock. Fry's does have the 32GB iPhone for Verizon. So I'm stuck trying to decide if I should just get the ATT version and only use the 50 GC since I know it gets the best signal inside of my apt or get the Verizon version where I can save an extra 50 (100 since getting 2 phones) but sacrifice a bit of signal even though when at home I'll have the phone using wifi? A little part of me thinks to go with Verizon since as long as there's enough signal coming through to push through calls and texts I should be fine and signal gets better after I pretty much leave my apt complex.
whobeadrian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:26 PM   #2
Cody21
macrumors 6502a

It depends, are you willing to get over your hate for AT&T and give them a try, again? I would probably pull the trigger for a Verizon iPhone in your situation. I had Verizon and got anywhere from 2-5 bars in my house and never had any problems. I stayed connected to wifi most of the time, but occasionally used mobile data.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:29 PM   #3
thehustleman
macrumors 65816

Good luck with the switch, i made it the other way...
thehustleman is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:35 PM   #4
whobeadrian
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody21 View Post
It depends, are you willing to get over your hate for AT&T and give them a try, again? I would probably pull the trigger for a Verizon iPhone in your situation. I had Verizon and got anywhere from 2-5 bars in my house and never had any problems. I stayed connected to wifi most of the time, but occasionally used mobile data.

I think I would give ATT another shot, just don't want to wait too long til Frys finally has them in stock so BB could price match to where the offer goes away and I'm not able to get the same deal. I guess with Verizon at least I could get now. I mean 100 bucks off a 32GB iPhone 5 I think is pretty good deal to pass up.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:41 PM   #5
Cody21
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by whobeadrian View Post
I think I would give ATT another shot, just don't want to wait too long til Frys finally has them in stock so BB could price match to where the offer goes away and I'm not able to get the same deal. I guess with Verizon at least I could get now. I mean 100 bucks off a 32GB iPhone 5 I think is pretty good deal to pass up.
Sounds like you got it all figured out. Either way, I think you're gonna alright. And I agree, 100 bucks off isn't a bad deal at all.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:20 PM   #6
iKnowMr.Jobs
macrumors member

you should make your decision based on coverage (seems as though AT&T may be a good option for you there but test Verizon too) and really, whose logo you want to see on the bill The plans are about equal in price so that shouldn't matter much although i do believe Verizon offers data in more increments (1gb, 2gb, 4gb, etc).
Airport Extreme (5th gen)
iKnowMr.Jobs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:34 PM   #7
superfly33
macrumors newbie

Verizon's Iphone is unlocked, if that is of value to you.
superfly33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:14 PM   #8
Chris092881
macrumors 6502

I'm with Verizon myself. While the service itself is great, the customer service is severely lacking. When things are going fine they're great. But as soon as you have an issue, and you will sooner or later, they are of little to no help. Keep that in mind. Also, if you do go with Verizon don't let them talk you into getting Asurion Insurance through them. Opt for AppleCare+ directly through Apple. You pay $99 up front and then a $49 deductible for up to two replacements, but it beats paying $10 or $11 per month to Asurion, and then another $200 for a deductible. Do the math. I made the switch recently myself. You get a like new remanufactured device from Apple, and just a refurbished device from Asurion. Plus over the long haul (2 years, or the life of your contract) AppleCare+ is quite a bit cheaper.
Chris092881 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:43 PM   #9
Browns2212
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by devoncom View Post
agree it,you should make your decision based on coverage (seems as though AT&T may be a good option for you there.Image
Agree.

The most important component of Cellular Service, IMHO, is the coverage. I mean, what good is a "great price" or phone if it doesn't work half the time because you don't have good service??

The minimal difference in $$ is worth it. If you don't get LTE with Verizon at your house, then you don't want to go with them. Again, you'd be paying for a service that you don't even use at home, where I assume you will be spending most of your time (unless you have WiFi, but still).

Go with the carrier that has the best coverage where you will be most of the time, even if it's slightly more per month. Most big cities have good coverage on both ATT and Verizon. I mean, I'm in NW Ohio where there are really no big metropolitan areas and I have LTE coverage almost everywhere I go. Never had ATT so I can speak on their coverage in my area. I'm with Verizon by the way and have no complaints about them. Hardly ever any dropped calls and my iPhone 5 is extremely fast on LTE.
Browns2212 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:55 PM   #10
whobeadrian
macrumors newbie

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their input.

After thinking it over some more, came to the conclusion that the right move is going to be ATT after all. I eventually plan on dropping my land line in the next couple months so If I do that then for sure I would want to know that I have the best cell coverage at home and ATT is the one that currently offers that.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:49 PM   #11
macMD
macrumors 6502

I realize ATT has better LTE in your area today, but Verizon has stated they will have their 4G LTE coverage completed by June of this year, 6 months ahead of schedule. I would say if you don't care for AT&T it might worth waiting a bit longer.
macMD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:19 PM   #12
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their input.

After thinking it over some more, came to the conclusion that the right move is going to be ATT after all. I eventually plan on dropping my land line in the next couple months so If I do that then for sure I would want to know that I have the best cell coverage at home and ATT is the one that currently offers that.
This is a wise decision. Saving some money upfront is not worth it if it means not having a reliable connection in your apartment.
ucfgrad93 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 03:51 AM   #13
imeth
macrumors regular

Quote:
I plan on finally making the switch from Android to iPhone. I hate ATT, was with them several years ago (when they were Cingular) and switched to TMobile but ATT currently has the best LTE coverage where I live. I tested with a friend's ATT iPhone 5 and I was able to get good LTE signal inside of my apt.

With Verizon, I have no beef with since I have never been a customer of theirs and few people that have had them never complained about them. I tested coverage with a friend's LTE Android phone (Bionic), I was only able to get about 2-3 bars of 3G inside of the apt. Verizon signal seems to boot down to 3G coverage around my apt complex (1-2 block radius) then it goes back to 4G LTE once outside that area.

Right now Fry's has a special on 32GB iPhone for 249 and I signed up for Best Buy's GC offer so I can take it down an additional 50. Unfortunately, Frys is out of ATTs 32GB iPhones for a while so BB won't price match it because the item is not in stock. Fry's does have the 32GB iPhone for Verizon. So I'm stuck trying to decide if I should just get the ATT version and only use the 50 GC since I know it gets the best signal inside of my apt or get the Verizon version where I can save an extra 50 (100 since getting 2 phones) but sacrifice a bit of signal even though when at home I'll have the phone using wifi? A little part of me thinks to go with Verizon since as long as there's enough signal coming through to push through calls and texts I should be fine and signal gets better after I pretty much leave my apt complex.

dude nothing is wrong with ATT. They improved over the years.. I love my coverage of LTE with ATT. And when you don't have LTE signal it goes straight to 4G while verizon goes to 3G. Also you can surf the web while talking on the phone (a big plus for me). I love most about ATT is now their customer service, if you have any issues with calls/networks they offer you credit from 20$ to even pay for the full month.. I will never switch to that ugly V check red signal.
imeth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 03:53 PM   #14
Appl3FTW
macrumors 68000

IMO don't use less than 32gb. but that's just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly33 View Post
Verizon's Iphone is unlocked, if that is of value to you.
u can't use ATT LTE if ur using verizon unlocked phone.
Appl3FTW is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone