Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prvt.donut

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
I'm sure it can be cracked to create mac osx 10.5 compatibility.

Good luck with that. Let us know how it goes...:rolleyes:

Or are you a hardware programmer and willing to spend the time to write the drivers for that card?

prvt.donut

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
What are those cards?

They are Sata controller chipsets for Sata cards.

Is it true they will work? I assumed a cheap controller would work for secondary drives, not sure about booting though.

I would like to have 4 drives in my powermac. 1 SSD for boot drive and 2 large spinners in raid 1 to data integrity and a final large drive for an internal time machine backup.

The question then becomes, where to put the drives? I guess I can get on of those brackets that stores the drives over the RAM.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
Does anyone else have any ideas?
I tried to use some random sata card and it just caused kernel panics
:)

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
Will absolutely any card that uses those controllers be compatible with Leopard PowerPC (as long as it is the correct PCI-X with PCI-X macs, -e, with PCI-e Macs)?

99% probability. However, if the card is a "PC-only" item, it would need to reflashed with a firmware update of a similar card from http://www.wiebetech.com. Just track down a Wiebe Tech card with same number of SATA ports and running the same PCI/e/X interface as the generic one you bought off ebay (count ESATA and internal SATA are of no difference) and - obviously - using the same chipset, double-check System Profiler if you have anything listed in PCI section (you'd have an "unknown device" or similar listed) and flash it with the terminal app provided with Wiebe Tech update.
I have been running 2x SATA PCI RAID in my G4, now I have a very fast 2x SATA PCI-E RAID in my G5, all done with this very procedure.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Will absolutely any card that uses those controllers be compatible with Leopard PowerPC (as long as it is the correct PCI-X with PCI-X macs, -e, with PCI-e Macs)?

I've run both at the same time on my quad..Boot SSD of the AS media, storage drive and SATA Blu-Ray off the native SATA ports and eSATA back up's on the SIL card. The SIL card needs a driver from the website to work.

http://www.siliconimage.com/support/searchresults.aspx?pid=32&cat=3&os=3

SiI 3132 32-bit universal Mac OS X 10.4.9, 10.4.10, & 10.5.1 BASE Driver 12/26/2006 1.1.9 154 kb Use this universal driver with Mac OS X 10.4.9, 10.4.10, & 10.5.1 on PowerMac G5, PowerBook G4, and MacBook Pro.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here

Attachments

• SATA card revisited.jpg
    SATA card revisited.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 500

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio

What specifically did you do? Was it difficult. I really need one of these, as you can see i my signature, a 1 tb hdd, and a ssd is just for looks without a controller card.
I had a syba card and it caused repeated kernel panics.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.