Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jayrflow

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2013
iPhone 5
1,440 mAh = 8 hours of talk time (3G)

Note II
3,100 mAh = 16 hours of talk time (3G)

I mean I know it has a bigger battery but I don't remember my 4S having this bad battery life. N I tried being on 3G only but I almost get the same results

kokhean

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2010
I mean I know it has a bigger battery but I don't remember my 4S having this bad battery life. N I tried being on 3G only but I almost get the same results

One question though: why would you switch to the iPhone 5 from the Note II?

All the people that I know who switched to the Note II kept on saying that it's better than the iPhone. They upgraded from either a 3GS or a 4.

jayrflow

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2013
One question though: why would you switch to the iPhone 5 from the Note II?

All the people that I know who switched to the Note II kept on saying that it's better than the iPhone. They upgraded from either a 3GS or a 4.

I still have it. The iPhone 5 is my new work phone. I carry my work phone more than I do my personal phone but if the battery life keeps up like this, I might start carrying the Note 2 around too. Sometimes the size of the Note 2 is very bothersome

kokhean

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2010
I still have it. The iPhone 5 is my new work phone. I carry my work phone more than I do my personal phone but if the battery life keeps up like this, I might start carrying the Note 2 around too. Sometimes the size of the Note 2 is very bothersome

Get a battery case then.

SprSynJn

Sep 15, 2011
Japan
I seem to be seeing a difference in battery life depending on where I am. Here in my wife's hometown I get crap life compared to where I live. The LTE is quite scarce here though, and the building I'm in has something that blocks reception it appears. That might be a factor for others as well.

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
My iPhone 5 has very erratic battery life... I can charge it from dead to 100%, wake up, go to work, use it a few times, play some games on my break and by the time I'm home it's at 75%, great. Other times it'll be the same story except I'm getting home and immediately searching for the power cord before it dies, nothing really changes about how I use it at all. I think it might have had to do with the latest update

Oxonian3

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2011
Trinidad
I've restored iPhone and upgraded to 6.1.2 and seem to be getting better battery life, i recommend the update to anyone who may be experiencing battery life problems. (6.1.2 can also be jailbroken for anyone wondering)

zosokm

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2012
I find the problem is more for users who have restored the iphone from a previous version. You can try to reset all network settings , let the battery run down completely and then charge it upto 100%. I had a similar problem when I restored my iphone 4 back up on to my new iphone 5. The battery would sometime drain out overnight . Once I tried this , I am getting excellent battery life.

JC05

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
I'm very happy with my iPhone 5 battery life, a lot of web browsing,messages, youtube,etc
Brightness :75%
Network: mostly wifi and 3G, no LTE here
Notifications: Echofon,Facebook, what'sapp,Ap,USA today, Ny times, score mobile all very active the entire day
Mail: 2 accounts no push, only fetching every hour

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 106

shalin111

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2011
iPhone 5 battery life [Merged]

Fixed my battery life! How you ask? Disconnected from my AT&T microcell. Absolutely killed my battery. Back to all day usage. Was only getting 4hrs tops at home back up to 8/10! I don't talk much anyways and most people I,talk to have iMessage so my wifi takes care of that

Xinus

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2013
I have also really benefitted from the advice of going through several charge cycles.
The first month after getting the iPhone I had about 1 day of light use including standby time each day. Then I started letting the battery die out completely and charging to 100 percent and it got better and better after each charge.
Not so heavy usage. Normal - Internet, music, other apps.

After 1st time:
Usage 7 Hours, 41 Minutes
Standby 16 Hours, 0 Minutes

2nd time:
Usage 8 Hours, 30 Minutes.
Standby 1 Day, 8 Hours

3rd time:
Usage 10 Hours, 10 Minutes
Standby 1 Day, 15 Hours

So let it die completely and charge to 100 percent a number of times.
iOS up to date.

Thanks

Last edited:

NiKeZz

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2010
Topeka, Kansas
Reviving an old thread to see if anyone has gotten any better battery life or have tips/tricks for those just getting an iPhone 5. I just picked up a 32gb iP5 last week. Here is what I'm getting. I did turn LTE off when I wasn't getting an LTE signal, eg at work. Instead turned on WiFi. What I have noticed is that when the phone is locked for 5+ minutes and I press the wake button, at the top left it shows the 3G icon or LTE icon instead of the WiFi icon. WHen the device is sleeping, does it kick off the wifi and go straight to cellular usage? I hope not, would seem to be a software issue that realllllly needs to be fixed.
photo_zps600d75b1.png

ManicMarc

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2012
Yes the iPhone has always disabled the WiFi radio, if the phone in sleeping - because when the phone is sleeping the cellular radio is needed anyway (for calls) and you won't be transferring much data (just 1 or 2 push connections left open, and the odd email check very 15 minutes). It would use more battery to power the WiFi all day long.

In my experience the only time I have noticed terrible battery life is when Exchange accounts go out of control and the database service keeps the phone awake all day. Deleting and recreating the Exchange account solves this for a few weeks.

NiKeZz

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2010
Topeka, Kansas
Yes the iPhone has always disabled the WiFi radio, if the phone in sleeping - because when the phone is sleeping the cellular radio is needed anyway (for calls) and you won't be transferring much data (just 1 or 2 push connections left open, and the odd email check very 15 minutes). It would use more battery to power the WiFi all day long.

In my experience the only time I have noticed terrible battery life is when Exchange accounts go out of control and the database service keeps the phone awake all day. Deleting and recreating the Exchange account solves this for a few weeks.

Ah that would make sense then about the WiFi. Thanks for the response by the way. I had the HTC One for about a week and saw better battery life than this, but only when I monitored it. At least this is just with normal use. I have a charger at work, in the car, and at home. Not too concerned about it.

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
some of you guys complain way too much about your battery life, especially OP who was worried that he lost 45% of battery with 2 hours of "near constant" use. That's actually good.

You guys, your phone won't last all day if you constantly use it. That's just how it is, and how it will always be probably, barring a miraculous innovation in battery technology. If you're upset your phone dies at the end of your work day, either you have a really great job that lets you use your iPhone all day or you need to do more work.

Charge it at your computer, in your office, whatever. No matter how good a phone's battery life is, people complain.

Anyway, here's my question. I've noticed that at work lately, my battery life seems to be draining really fast. I went into work today with 90% battery, and when I got home today it was 13%..that was with pretty light usage. Maybe 25 minutes of LTE browsing, a few texts, etc. I was thinking it might be the service in the building but I got 25 mb/s down on LTE there a few weeks back.

Anyone have any ideas? I've tried googling around for answers, but does anyone definitively know whether or not apps in the background use a lot of battery life? I turned off wi-fi and location services after a bit and it didn't seem to help much. I had a few games (Real Racing, Dead Trigger, etc) in "memory", could that have contributed?

SprSynJn

Sep 15, 2011
Japan
It seems to be a common problem with many from what I've seen. Both me and my coworker with iPhone 5s have had pretty poor usage lately. Not sure if its related to any update, or just our imaginations running wild.

rward01

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2013
I have been really satisfied so far with the battery life of the i5. My usage consist of iheart radio, the iPod, some browsing, tapatalk, and some calling and texting. I usually charge every other day.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368811114.416727.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368811114.416727.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 115

l.i. bruce fan

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2012
I think I've tried virtually every "fix" on this and other threads, restored as new for each update, etc. currently:

I reduced my emails to 2, a yahoo and exchange account, and set both to fetch at one hour intervals, reduced my screen brightness to 1/3 or less and I'm still only getting 4-5 hours of usage on WiFi/LTE. When I first got this phone (a launch 32gb version) I would get 4-5 hours on cell and 7-9 hours on wifi.

No overheating, no usage matching standby time, just crapply battery life...i've drained it to shut off, several times in a row...

I think i've pretty much ruled everything out except for hardware/bad battery as I'm reluctant to have it replaced (even though I buy AppleCare+ for all my iDevices).

Any other suggestions?

Derek87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2009
i was in your shoes for a long time, and last friday finally had the apple store nearby swap out my phone. i wanted to wait a week before posting "official numbers," but after seeing your post, i thought i'd encourage you to consider getting it swapped.

i was seeing 4-5.5 hours of usage on my phone (compared with 6-8 hrs on my iphone 4 under similar usage patterns) and i was getting weird discharge too with it hitting 50% with 3 hours of usage and then really plumetting even after cycling to recalibrate and doing all of the things like resetting the phone and setting up as new, etc.

the new phone, which i haven't even cycled, as already gone through two overnights and after 2 days and 10 hours standby and almost 6 hours of "usage" (on the about /usage page), i still have 20% left. that is a huge improvement.

there is no guarantee that you will experience the same thing, but i think it's worth a shot if you can convince them to swap out your phone. (just back it up, etc.)

I think I've tried virtually every "fix" on this and other threads, restored as new for each update, etc. currently:

I reduced my emails to 2, a yahoo and exchange account, and set both to fetch at one hour intervals, reduced my screen brightness to 1/3 or less and I'm still only getting 4-5 hours of usage on WiFi/LTE. When I first got this phone (a launch 32gb version) I would get 4-5 hours on cell and 7-9 hours on wifi.

No overheating, no usage matching standby time, just crapply battery life...i've drained it to shut off, several times in a row...

I think i've pretty much ruled everything out except for hardware/bad battery as I'm reluctant to have it replaced (even though I buy AppleCare+ for all my iDevices).

Any other suggestions?

l.i. bruce fan

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2012
Thanks Derek87, I will go later this week and let you know the results...

i was in your shoes for a long time, and last friday finally had the apple store nearby swap out my phone. i wanted to wait a week before posting "official numbers," but after seeing your post, i thought i'd encourage you to consider getting it swapped.

i was seeing 4-5.5 hours of usage on my phone (compared with 6-8 hrs on my iphone 4 under similar usage patterns) and i was getting weird discharge too with it hitting 50% with 3 hours of usage and then really plumetting even after cycling to recalibrate and doing all of the things like resetting the phone and setting up as new, etc.

the new phone, which i haven't even cycled, as already gone through two overnights and after 2 days and 10 hours standby and almost 6 hours of "usage" (on the about /usage page), i still have 20% left. that is a huge improvement.

there is no guarantee that you will experience the same thing, but i think it's worth a shot if you can convince them to swap out your phone. (just back it up, etc.)

livelongdienvr

macrumors member
May 13, 2013
I'm having trouble with my battery. Apple says it's fine but I'm not so sure.

My first iPhone 5 battery lasted much longer.
Back in April Apple replaced my phone because of a factory error and on this new phone the battery just doesn't last as long. I've been at work for about 5 hours and after making one call and checking a few emails and searching the web for a few mintues. The battery is already at 55% this is pretty typical since I got the replacement. It just doesn't seem to last a long time.

Any suggestions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.