Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
iOS is very simple and elegant yet powerful. One would be a fool to compromise this quality just because people are getting 'bored'.
They do should not look into some issues (not sure which), but most of it it's fine. The GUI is fine. It looks beautiful, it works smoothly.

I can think of a couple of major ones:

1. Multi-tasking: Not exactly UI, but important to user experience.

Try going for a walk with your iPhone while listening to music or a podcast, running a tracking app (to track your time, distance, speed, etc.) AND using a flashlight to see in the dark.

You simply CANNOT do this in iOS, while it's a no-brained in Android. And before someone starts ranting about battery life, this is a non-issue nowadays on Android.

Sure, you can do some of this with a jailbroken iOS device, but isn't the whole selling point of iOS its simplicity of use?

2. Allow more robust customization: I shouldn't have to jailbreak if I simply want 5 icons on the dock. And yes, maybe I do want a larger clock on the home screen, or whatever.

Sadly, it seems like Apple has left iOS to stagnate over the last few years, basically content to add stuff like pull-down notifications, which while definitely better looking than Android's, were also definitely copied from Android.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
I sold my 16gb wifi only with screen protector and two cases yest for $400.00 in anticipation for this next gen iPad 5..Im really hoping it drops sooner than later

I really don't understand people who can do this. The iPad must really be just a toy for them. I use my iPad ALL THE TIME. I cannot imagine selling my old iPad until I have a new one in hand.

.. and the ability to store files in your own folders, and on that note any file you like. Most of the time I have to store video and documents in Dropbox.

This won't happen. The iOS is based in the premise of there not being a traditional filesystem. That said, I'm sure that Apple is working on different ways of enabling better filesharing between apps, which is ultimately what you want. And, I'm also sure that when Apple comes out with their version, there will be plenty if people who will love it and plenty who will hate it. Myself, I'll probably feel a bit of both toward it, seeing its strengths and its weaknesses. (But, then again, I'm someone who JBs just to be able to install iFile so I can have filesystem access for those odd times when the no-filesystem approach of iOS doesn't sit well with what I'm trying to do...)

The Video app is a crippled store front on iOS. It's called video yet I can't use it to play video and have to store those in Photos?

I agree that the Videos app leaves a bit to be desired. But, it's really geared to work in conjunction with iTunes on a computer. They need to bring it more in line with the level of interface flexibility that iTunes 11 currently has. Also, as you noted, the ability to bring videos (movies, TV shows, etc) into it without either needing to buy them from the iTunes store or needing to sync them from iTunes on a computer would be great.

Same with documents. Even PDFs of business notes and documents have to be stored in iBooks. Moronic.

GoodReader. Apple isn't trying to give you anything other than an app that can read PDFs for you, and iBooks does that just fine. If you want something better, look to your other options. GoodReader and iAnnotate are two very good ones.

The settings app is a bloated unintuitive mess.

Not sure I really agree with you here. The settings app seems quite functional to me. Is it a little bloated? Well, yes, but that's because there are quite a few settings to be captured under this one umbrella. Perhaps it's time to look at new ways of organizing those settings, but I hardly see it as a horrendous issue.

The text cursor is imprecise and terrible to move (see the many user created alternatives that are better).

I will certainly grant that the text cursor has some shortcomings, but it is quite functional. Note, I'm not arguing that considering alternatives is a bad idea, but simply that such a move, away from something that is not exactly broken, should be done with great caution.

Safari still fails to work with many Web sites that a regular desktop browser has no issue with, and I'm not talking Flash either.

This surprises me. I rarely ever see issues with websites except Flash issues. Care to point out a site that has issues in mobile Safari? I'd like to see it.

Newsstand store page has no search option (?!) ...

Yeah, I'm with you here. It's quite annoying that I cannot search exclusively for ezine content without it tripping into showing me ALL content...

and many other instances where it looks stale and static.

Static and stale is not necessarily a bad thing. Just because you're getting bored with it doesn't mean it's not still the best way to do it... Just sayin'.

Every mobile OS offers dynamic content now yet I'm still looking at the perfect weather in California, the full date can only be seen by opening iCal (how hard would it be to add it to the top bar for consistency on each page, it's been in OSX for a decade!) and access to airplane mode, wifi etc needs to be toggled through the settings menu instead of directly from anywhere.

I've thought about the fact that the icons for NewsStand magazines are based on the cover from the latest issue, so why can't things liked the weather app and the calendar app change to show the current weather/date. If Apple opened up the ability to customize the icon based on something (such as a notification), it could make the whole UI much more dynamic in one easy step.

iOS was revolutionary when it was released 6 years ago but it's one area that Apple has left in 2007. It needs a lot of redesign and not just additional feature bloat and rebranding. They are just riding the brand name hardware wave as long as they can because people will buy it regardless of the UI design stagnation.

I don't think that it's fair to say that they left it in 2007. There have been an ongoing series of improvements as time has gone on. iOS 6 is certainly a better OS than iOS 3, for example.

I guess I fall somewhere between the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and the "keep things fresh" standpoints. I look forward to the improvements that Apple brings, and I keep hoping that they will be significant enough to make me feel that I no longer have any motivation to consider JBing.

snipper

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2004
I don't really ever use it since I have an early 2009 Octo for design work, but more and more I have my eyes on an iPad for sketching (the old Wacom 9x12 is feeling a little dated) and other productivity stuff, and I really like this new [iPadMini style] design. I haven't held a mini yet but I can definitely wait until they're both updated before I make a decision. Even still, I'm pretty excited!

I suggest you try before you buy. Sketching is very different on a (pressure sensitive) Wacom.

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
Why does any of that matter to someebody who is going to put it into a case anyways?

Smaller iPad => smaller case.

----------

This won't happen. The iOS is based in the premise of there not being a traditional filesystem. That said, I'm sure that Apple is working on different ways of enabling better filesharing between apps, which is ultimately what you want. And, I'm also sure that when Apple comes out with their version, there will be plenty if people who will love it and plenty who will hate it. Myself, I'll probably feel a bit of both toward it, seeing its strengths and its weaknesses. (But, then again, I'm someone who JBs just to be able to install iFile so I can have filesystem access for those odd times when the no-filesystem approach of iOS doesn't sit well with what I'm trying to do...)

Neither I nor anyone I know ever needs to have access to the filesystem in iOS for saving documents (except for hacking). What Apple just needs to do is allow people to save email attachments into a folder that maybe also has an option to mount on the PC system as a volume when connected. There's no need for the user to mess around with different folders in iOS.

Even so, I rarely find myself needing to save attachments. When I do, I have to use Dropbox, which is OK but still shouldn't be necessary.

----------

Try going for a walk with your iPhone while listening to music or a podcast, running a tracking app (to track your time, distance, speed, etc.) AND using a flashlight to see in the dark.

You simply CANNOT do this in iOS, while it's a no-brained in Android. And before someone starts ranting about battery life, this is a non-issue nowadays on Android.

What are you talking about??? Have you ever TRIED doing this? You definitely can. iOS does have multitasking with some limitations but, of course, no ability to view two apps at once. You can run a music app in the background like Pandora and something that uses GPS like Google Maps and still use other apps. The iDevice could even be locked, and I've stuck Google Maps doing turn-by-turn in my pocket on bike rides before.

The limitations are a bit complicated. Basically, your app falls asleep soon after it is hidden unless you have permission to keep it awake. Music apps can stay awake forever. So can GPS apps. Others can wake up (if they wish to) if there is a significant change in location. The app's server can send push notifications if you allow it to. That's all I know off the top of my head.

And sorry, but I'm going to talk about battery life. I have an alpha testing app that tracks my location in the background, and it does use the battery pretty quickly. Even if you have a good battery, less usage is better! I think it's worth it in many cases but not with anything Zynga makes. And I wouldn't be surprised if Google Play had more of these battery-drainers.

Last edited:

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
This is great and all, but the bigger issue is the aging Operating system for Ipad/iphone. They need to really take a chance and change the game up if they want my money.

i've done bland for 4+ years, i'm done with it. But I always be a supporter of the Ipad/Iphone so bring the big guns now APPLE!!!

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
When I saw the MiniSuit logo over the images it looked like MINISLUT for some reason. Sort of reminds me of the time when advertising a Clint Eastwood movie, in the far East his name was put up over the giant banner in all caps and the "L" and "I" were a bit close together.

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
What are you talking about??? Have you ever TRIED doing this? You definitely can. iOS does have multitasking with some limitations but, of course, no ability to view two apps at once....

And sorry, but I'm going to talk about battery life. I have an alpha testing app that tracks my location in the background, and it does use the battery pretty quickly.

Uhm, yes. I use a flashlight, GPS tracking app and podcast app virtually every day of the week for about an hour on my Google Nexus.

I still use the Google Nexus for my runs and leave the iPhone 5 in the car, because of the lack of multitasking in iOS -- not being able to run the flashlight is a deal-killer for me.

I have been too lazy to jailbreak my iPhone, since I did jailbreak my iPad 4 only to find that the Cydia community has largely stagnated in the last two years since I last jailbroke used iOS.

There is virtually nothing nowadays which makes it worth the hassle of jailbreaking, there is not even a decent keyboard app available on Cydia to replace the primitive and limited iOS stock keyboard.

And I don't know about your alpha app, but my aging Google Nexus has no problems whatsoever lasting through the day with push email (5 accounts), Skype ad the aforementioned GPS tracking app, podcast app and flashlight app all running at the same time at various times.

I do like my iPhone 5 much better in terms of hardware and some features of iOS, like pull-down notifications are better designed and implemented, but overall Android 4.1+ feels like a more modern and capable operating system.

I really hope Apple has some more significant iOS changes coming this year, other than just serving a slightly thinner iPad (which is also a good thing, of course).

Otherwise, with sets like the HTC One coming out (the first Android set, IMO, which looks like it can compete in terms of hardware design and finish with the iPhone), Apple is on track for a rapid decline.

Last edited:

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
I agree. I think iOS 7 is more important than any hardware release this year. There needs to be some new, fresh features and maybe a shakeup in the look and feel of the OS.

Sometime I wonder how people manage to live with their own face for 80 years. Well I guess some try to alter it but most seem to struggle on.

nws0291

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
Uhm, yes. I use a flashlight, GPS tracking app and podcast app virtually every day of the week for about an hour on my Google Nexus.

I still use the Google Nexus for my runs and leave the iPhone 5 in the car, because of the lack of multitasking in iOS -- not being able to run the flashlight is a deal-killer for me.

I have been too lazy to jailbreak my iPhone, since I did jailbreak my iPad 4 only to find that the Cydia community has largely stagnated in the last two years since I last jailbroke used iOS.

There is virtually nothing nowadays which makes it worth the hassle of jailbreaking, there is not even a decent keyboard app available on Cydia to replace the primitive and limited iOS stock keyboard.

And I don't know about your alpha app, but my aging Google Nexus has no problems whatsoever lasting through the day with push email (5 accounts), Skype ad the aforementioned GPS tracking app, podcast app and flashlight app all running at the same time at various times.

I do like my iPhone 5 much better in terms of hardware and some features of iOS, like pull-down notifications are better designed and implemented, but overall Android 4.1+ feels like a more modern and capable operating system.

I really hope Apple has some more significant iOS changes coming this year, other than just serving a slightly thinner iPad (which is also a good thing, of course).

Otherwise, with sets like the HTC One coming out (the first Android set, IMO, which looks like it can compete in terms of hardware design and finish with the iPhone), Apple is on track for a rapid decline.

You are using your phone wrong. I just used the flashlight app while streaming pandora and GPS tracking via Wahoo fitness.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
Oh God, when will Apple stop updating iPads so frequently ? =/. Every six months is insanity. How about we start focusing on improving iOS? It's still falling behind in terms of features.

Let's be real, iOS is the fastest & most stable mobile platform, & as far as I'm concerned there is no real competition. That's why I don't understand what's Apple's fascination with updating the hardware every six months. It's not needed! We need some awesome features!

Even BlackBerry has gotten something right, they've at least accomplished multi-tasking really well, better then any other company so far. Double tapping the home button isn't multi-tasking, It's just annoying =P.

sonicpace

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2013
Canada
I'm looking foward to the Galaxy Note 8 with 2.5 hrs Batt Life. :apple:

I'm personally waiting for the iPad 5, but if Apple doesn't announce something soon, I will probably buy the Galaxy Note 8.0. I won't wait until October and I highly doubt Apple will, as well, otherwise it is going to be a very dry Spring for them.

The S Pen is really more useful on a tablet this size and is the stand out feature and reason to purchase this tablet, in my opinion.

As for battery life, I doubt it will be 2.5 hours. I can't comment much on the battery life on the Note 8.0, with it just being announced and all, but it does have a 4,600mAh battery.

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
iOS is very simple and elegant yet powerful. One would be a fool to compromise this quality just because people are getting 'bored'.

Widgets, tiles, hubs, whatever: they're not better, they're different! I think the superior notification system of iOS combined with a static grid is the most powerful and elegant GUI one can imagine.

iOS needs new features - it's not only getting stale, but also lacking features.

For one, it needs new, faster, input methods like Swype.

Multi-tasking can be further improved; perhaps side-by-side apps.

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
You are using your phone wrong. I just used the flashlight app while streaming pandora and GPS tracking via Wahoo fitness.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but as far as I know, Apple does not permit any flashlight apps to run in the background.

Please provide the flashlight app's name.

Atomic54

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2013
World of Mac's
I hate the new look for apple, iPad mini, iPhone 5, the current gen of iPods, Tim Cook is ruining Apple in my opinion. I Just hope he dose not ruin Mac's!

Chlloret

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
Barcelona, Spain
I'm personally waiting for the iPad 5, but if Apple doesn't announce something soon, I will probably buy the Galaxy Note 8.0. I won't wait until October and I highly doubt Apple will, as well, otherwise it is going to be a very dry Spring for them.

The S Pen is really more useful on a tablet this size and is the stand out feature and reason to purchase this tablet, in my opinion.

As for battery life, I doubt it will be 2.5 hours. I can't comment much on the battery life on the Note 8.0, with it just being announced and all, but it does have a 4,600mAh battery.

That was probably an ironic remark. I'm sure if you turn the sceen brightness down, shut down a core or two, unplug GPS,BT and WiFi, do not run any apps and limit the volume to a wisper, you can get close to double that.

I write this on the iPad mini (no Probs with Battery life) and have the Nexus7 here as an Android test gadget. Thinking that Samsung can only be worse, I would not recommend the Note. The Nexus is good considering the price (its a toy compared to the iPad mini) but Samsung seems to simply ask for twice or more money but is not delivering as my original 700 Euro GalaxyTab shows. Still under warranty and worthless.

Never again Samsung

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010

Sure, you can do some of this with a jailbroken iOS device, but isn't the whole selling point of iOS its simplicity of use?

2. Allow more robust customization: I shouldn't have to jailbreak if I simply want 5 icons on the dock. And yes, maybe I do want a larger clock on the home screen, or whatever.

Sadly, it seems like Apple has left iOS to stagnate over the last few years, basically content to add stuff like pull-down notifications, which while definitely better looking than Android's, were also definitely copied from Android.
How is nike able to do it with their app?

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
How is nike able to do it with their app?

They're able to because he is wrong. iOS has multitasking, contrary to popular belief. That's one of the major points of the iOS 4 update. It's just not side-by-side GUI multitasking, which I would very much like to see on the iPad.

----------

Apple better hurry up and announce their new iPad(s). Their competition is heating up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HmTviZEW3Y

http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/23/samsung-galaxy-note-8-preview/

“If you see a stylus, they blew it.”
XD

----------

Seriously?

Geez, we wouldn't even have fire with that kind of brilliant thinking.

Humans didn't create fire, but we wouldn't have any electronics.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.