Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paolo-

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
IMHO, Google is making something that will fail just so people will pay attention to Chrome OS.

Just think of it, it is so ridiculous that at launch this thing is causing more stir than the new PS4 console that was annonced. It is built for controversy. Once you're done talking about the obvious the ridiculous price point, you can go on the disappointing 5h battery. But WAIT, there's more, not only did Google put an 8bit style logo they're using a freakin' 3:2 aspect ratio screen. (come to think of it, it actually not a bad idea). We will never hear the end of the lawsuit that Apple will inevitably start against Google. Quite a few things seem to be blatantly copied off the macbooks.

Either this, or Google has a serious trick up it's sleeve for I/O.

bobenhaus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
It's kind of a cool idea. I just don't see why anyone would buy it at that price point.

Very niche market.

Its very easy why Google has released a highend ChromeBook. This is a showcase edition and it is being used to get potential developers interested in this product. Google knew ahead of time that people would not like the price but it isnt really for the average Joe customers unless they are willing to pay for it. This is pure business for Google. You are watching the evolution of distributing comptuing in the works. Enjoy and learn to accept it. Thanks.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Its very easy why Google has released a highend ChromeBook. This is a showcase edition and it is being used to get potential developers interested in this product. Google knew ahead of time that people would not like the price but it isnt really for the average Joe customers unless they are willing to pay for it. This is pure business for Google. You are watching the evolution of distributing comptuing in the works. Enjoy and learn to accept it. Thanks.

You mean cloud computing.

No one needs a Chromebook pixel for cloud computing.

Any dumb terminal with a web browser can do that. Why not just get a $249 cheap Chromebook.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

LOL, well im sure the price will come down in time. Just like starting tomorrow all the touchscreen Windows 8 laptops are going to be cut $100 at Best Buy because the W8 non touchscreens arent selling very well and a study has shown that people would rather have a touchscreen with that system on their laptops.
Thus the price cut.

Makes sense to me. I wouldnt buy a non TS W8 laptop either which i stated either in this thread or another, before i read that announcement.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Anyone who thinks this has "crappy battery life" obviously needs to start downing the Mabook Air battery life (which with 10.8.3 nets me around 5 hours of use).

YourAvgUser

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2013
Anyone who thinks this has "crappy battery life" obviously needs to start downing the Mabook Air battery life (which with 10.8.3 nets me around 5 hours of use).

MBA has "crappy battery life" but you can still use its core functions. Pixel has poor battery life, is $300 more expensive, and you need to be dialed into wi-fi for its core functions.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
MBA has "crappy battery life" but you can still use its core functions. Pixel has poor battery life, is $300 more expensive, and you need to be dialed into wi-fi for its core functions.

Yep, you have to be on wi-fi to use... the internet.

Then again, they've been adding offline functionality as time goes on (offline email, offline Google Docs, and files can be synced to be viewed offline via Google Drive.

This isn't exactly the limited device that Chromebooks started off as.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012

Then again, they've been adding offline functionality as time goes on (offline email, offline Google Docs, and files can be synced to be viewed offline via Google Drive.

Chromebooks aren't very useful at all without an internet connection.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007

With 32GB storage on the Chromebook Pixel, it'll remain pretty limited for offline use.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
With 32GB storage on the Chromebook Pixel, it'll remain pretty limited for offline use.

32GB is more than you'd think, really.

That isn't even talking about using an external hard drive to increase your space or an SD card for the same reason.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
There isn't much you'd be doing offline with a chromebook anyway, so really it's a non-issue.

That isn't even talking about using an external hard drive to increase your space or an SD card for the same reason.

There really isn't much reason a person would need to do any of that. With the way Chromebooks operate, there really isn't much need for local storage.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007

Actually, it's less than 32GB on paper since the ChromeOS takes up some of the storage.

My iPhone has 32GB and I'm running out of space.

32GB isn't really a lot if you have to work with pictures and videos.

I guess if you only plan on text documents, I guess it's a lot. Then again, if you are only working with text documents, why would you need 1TB cloud storage from Google?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Actually, it's less than 32GB on paper since the ChromeOS takes up some of the storage.

My iPhone has 32GB and I'm running out of space.

32GB isn't really a lot if you have to work with pictures and videos.

I guess if you only plan on text documents, I guess it's a lot. Then again, if you are only working with text documents, why would you need 1TB cloud storage from Google?

You need the TB from Google? I still haven't filled up the 100gb I got from the Samsung Chromebook.

athletejmv

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2011
Got one the other day...

Well, the Chromebook OS offers everything I need. So I decided to purchase the Pixel. In contrast to the build of Apple Macbook, the Chromebook Pixel exceeds it nearly in every way. Ironically, just like windows users attacking Apple users for overpriced and useless hardware paired with a useless OS (or vice versa), it's apparent that many Apple users are doing the same with chrome. Chromebooks may not be for everyone. That does not make it a bad product. To argue otherwise would make you an idiot (an utterly senseless or foolish person) considering it's been a number one selling product on Amazon for a while. People wouldn't buy it if they had no use for it. The same goes for Windows and Apple based products. If the browser based OS meets a person's needs and they decide they want a premium based system with a retina equivalent touch-screen, then here you go...

Also, this is Google's first in-house product and I don't think the company is going to fail anytime soon. So, just like some of the earliest Apple PC's we see being auctioned off for more than they are ever worth to collectors, I'm sure the same thing will happen with the Pixel Chromebook. Hang on to it and maybe you'll receive a return greater than the $1300.00 price tag. I won't be holding my breath though. I purchased the pixel because I can afford it and I thought it would be fun to try out. If it doesn't work for me, then I can return it. No big deal, that's what an open market is all about. Google seems to have something going on with their OS and it seems to be fairly successful. So far, I'm enjoying it and plan to hold on to it.

You're entitled to an opinion; even in opposition to my post. But please, don't be posting vulgar, useless and ignorant posts :) This seems to be a reoccurring theme for people who don't have a use for a product when others do. The world doesn't revolve around just one person. And just FYI, the 13" rMBR would have been my second pick if this system were not available. But as I mentioned, I'm happy with my purchase and I'm not a power user outside standard power-point, word processing, email, chat-room (i.e. Google hangouts) or calendar programs.

If you are interested in my hands-on review, you can check out my review on Bestbuy.com under the name Saint04 at the following link:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Google-....p;tab=reviews?id=1218879371053&skuId=8608186

I'm rooting for Microsoft, Apple and Google. I'm enjoying the competition and creativity/advancement regarding technology as I'm loyal to no one particular brand. Pick your poison.

Last edited:

athletejmv

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2011
Google has already succeeded with the Chromebook...

IMHO, Google is making something that will fail just so people will pay attention to Chrome OS.

Just think of it, it is so ridiculous that at launch this thing is causing more stir than the new PS4 console that was annonced. It is built for controversy. Once you're done talking about the obvious the ridiculous price point, you can go on the disappointing 5h battery. But WAIT, there's more, not only did Google put an 8bit style logo they're using a freakin' 3:2 aspect ratio screen. (come to think of it, it actually not a bad idea). We will never hear the end of the lawsuit that Apple will inevitably start against Google. Quite a few things seem to be blatantly copied off the macbooks.

Either this, or Google has a serious trick up it's sleeve for I/O.

Google is already succeeding. Check out all the publicity they are getting with the pixel and how well their sales are doing with the Samsung Chromebook for $249...

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Well, the Chromebook OS offers everything I need. So I decided to purchase the Pixel. In contrast to the build of Apple Macbook, the Chromebook Pixel exceeds it nearly in every way.

If you are interested in my hands-on review, you can check out my review on Bestbuy.com under the name Saint04 at the following link:

Were you one of the few who bought the "I am rich" app for $1000 and post glowing reviews for it?

lbhskier37

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
The funny thing about people comparing this to a MacBook is u get all the Mac bashers talking about how overpriced the Mac is as if that justifys this. This really should be compared laptops in general. My 3 year old $500 i5 Toshiba can do far more than this overpriced browser. Do the people talking about putting Linux on this not remember the 32gb of storage? Any windows laptop at any price would be more useful than this.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
They brought in a Chromebook Pixel for us in the office, which gave me a chance to mess around with it. I have to say, I definitely like it...but definitely wouldn't buy it at the current price tag, as much as I'd hate to admit it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.