Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:15 PM   #1
phenetix
macrumors newbie

Late 2012 Antenna Plate

First time poster, long time lurker

I recently bought a late 2012 Mac Mini and decided to update the RAM to 16gb and the HDD to 1TB. The only problem I have had with the instillation is getting the screws to align on the antenna plate. I can get 3/4 aligned and screwed in but the last screw just wont. I even bought a replacement antenna thinking I might have bent the old one (saw a post saying that could be the issue).

Any suggestions as to how I might have screwed up or get all screws secure? I have searched but cannot find a solution.
phenetix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:37 PM   #2
COrocket
macrumors 6502

The antenna plate is a really tight fit, you kind of have to wiggle it around and it almost "snaps" into place. Try tilting it slightly and insert the back edge first, kind of like how the RAM went in. When it seats right you will know it.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:39 PM   #3
jjk454ss
macrumors 68040

I could only get 2 back in, I couldn't get the 2 that hold the hdd. But it's tight enough it's not going anywhere so I left it that way.
jjk454ss is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 05:03 PM   #4
phenetix
macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. I am out of town currently, but will try to install the antenna like I did the RAM (sort of haha).

I have the plate secure, but I am OCD when it comes to how the inside/outside of my electronic devices look.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 05:13 PM   #5
MJL
Banned

There is a back and a front to the antenna plate making for a tight fit around the housing.

In order to get it in you might need the end of a skewer and then poke in the holes (only through the top layer visible) around the edge of the housing and slightly pull it up while the underside of the anttena grille is caught under the housing. Work from the outside holes inwards and keep a bit of pressure pushing the grille towards the housing. It will suddenly slip in.

Harder to describe than it really is.

And do yourself a favor - those rubber grommets holding the SSD / HDD are real fragile and when they get older they are easily damaged. Take a small piece of the antistatic bag that your drive came in and make two washers that go between the grommets and the screws. After I started to do that I have not had a single grommet getting damaged.

Good luck.
MJL is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 05:15 PM   #6
jjk454ss
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenetix View Post
I have the plate secure, but I am OCD when it comes to how the inside/outside of my electronic devices look.
I'm the same way, but I couldn't get them and gave up. Only with my Apple stuff though, if it was a Dell I wouldn't have cared.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 06:51 PM   #7
GsySaxMan
macrumors newbie

Installed a Crucial M4 512GB SSD alongside the iTB Hitachi today using OWC kit, used CCC to clone HD adding a recovery partition to the SSD; apps and data so far all seem ok on new SSD except for Office for MAC which wants a new activation code, thinks its on new hardware I guess.

All went well with the install until like you guys I just could not seat the wi-fi foil correctly and in the end had to leave one of the three fixing screws out, which meant of course that the bottom case does not close properly because those screws hold it on. In fact I didn't detach the wi-fi foil from the MB at all because the connector seemed very fiddly, I was just able to manipulate the foil out of the case with the MB when I pulled it out.

Had one another major issue that is causing me some concern and that is the temp of the case now, which is very warm. Before the SSD was in the box the case was virtually cold to the touch.

Should I expect such a large temp increase or do the Crucial M4s run hot, or do you think I have an issue with either the SSD or the casing now its partially open with that one screw not inserted.

Not that impressed with the response of the SSD either, not half as snappy as I thought it was going to be.

Thanks for any thoughts.
GsySaxMan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:01 PM   #8
MJL
Banned

Some SSD's run hotter than a standard HDD, check the comparitive spec's to find out if your model runs hot.

The 2011 and 2012 Mac mini's run a lot hotter than the 2010 models.

If the bottom is not seated properly there will be more heat on the logic board and drive's since the air is not forced through the designed way.

If you look at the edge of the antenna plate where it touches the housing you see it are two layers - one to slide against each side of the housing. It has been desigined to be a tight fit and initally it had me wondering why it would not go in. I used a skewer to lift the top part - one hole at a time until I found the little piece that stopped it from sliding in.

Performance improvement depends a lot on what you are doing - a normal HDD is as fast when it are large sequential files (e.g. video) but it are the small random files that make a difference. It also depends on how much RAM you've got in the machine and if the RAM is able to cache all your data.

For me the primary reason for SSD is the silence allowing me to concentrate.
MJL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 09:04 AM   #9
Freestar007
macrumors newbie

I don't think I saw this stated here -- look closely at the rounded edge of the antenna plate, it has a bit of a groove in it. The lip of the Mini's case ends up slotting into it. I agree with the suggestion to use a skewer or small Torx bit to work your way along the misaligned edge, lifting up gently at points until it pops in place. Mine took several tries but it will seat.
Freestar007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 01:39 PM   #10
GsySaxMan
macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help guys.

I have spent the whole afternoon trying to get this wi-fi foil seated correctly, as I was watching some HD streamed stuff and the Mini got so hot that it switched itself off so thought I had cooling issues as a result of the missing screw.

Couldn't hear the fan kicking in either so thought I might have not seated its connection properly.

So I stripped the whole thing down again, started from scratch and rebuilt the box - guess what exactly the same issue with the foil and its literally only out about a 1mm or so, juts enough so the fixing hole wont snap into its bed to enable fixing with the very short screw.

Tried all I know to get the edges to seat, but may have bent the ruddy thing now!

Tell you what wish I have never started this and just used the 1TB HD and and external SSD - life sucks sometimes!!

It stills works now, but booting off the HD and will leave the SSD alone for now until I get this sorted; see if it gets warm when I am not even using the Crucial SSD.

Think I will put it in the Apple shop and they can sort it, enough is enough!!
Old Feb 24, 2013, 03:58 PM   #11
phenetix
macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help!

Just as an update, I tried gently lifting the edges of the antenna plate and that secured it into position. I can finally put my OCD to rest with all 4 screws in place/tact.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 09:14 PM   #12
vandrv
macrumors regular

The more of these threads I read, the more I'm leaning towards running an external SSD in a a USB 3 enclosure.
vandrv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:02 PM   #13
Titanium81
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandrv View Post
The more of these threads I read, the more I'm leaning towards running an external SSD in a a USB 3 enclosure.
Or just take the hit, have apple install the 256GB SSD they offer when you buy a new mini, at least you know it will work. Thats what I did and never looked back.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:12 PM   #14
jjk454ss
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandrv View Post
I couldn't get the 2 screws that o through the antenna plate into the hdd to thread in, but its nice and tight and doesn't affect anything. Other than that, it was easier than I expected, I'd certainly do it again.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:48 PM   #15
iamsen47
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjk454ss View Post
I couldn't get the 2 screws that o through the antenna plate into the hdd to thread in, but its nice and tight and doesn't affect anything. Other than that, it was easier than I expected, I'd certainly do it again.
When you placed the HDD back, did you align the screws with the rubber grommets inside?

I had the same problem too but slotting the screws in solved that. It also stopped the HDD from moving about.

Still can't get the plate back in though.
iamsen47 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:57 PM   #16
jjk454ss
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamsen47 View Post
When you placed the HDD back, did you align the screws with the rubber grommets inside?

I had the same problem too but slotting the screws in solved that. It also stopped the HDD from moving about.

Still can't get the plate back in though.
Are you talking about the holes in the rear of the case? Thn yes, I did. It's so close, they just don't thread in. The hdd doesn't move at all though, so I'll just leave it. Thanks
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:59 PM   #17
Gonzo3333
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenetix View Post
Thanks for the help!

Just as an update, I tried gently lifting the edges of the antenna plate and that secured it into position. I can finally put my OCD to rest with all 4 screws in place/tact.
Sure beats having "extra parts".
Gonzo3333 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:31 AM   #18
Omnius
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by GsySaxMan View Post
Installed a Crucial M4 512GB SSD alongside the iTB Hitachi today using OWC kit, used CCC to clone HD adding a recovery partition to the SSD; apps and data so far all seem ok on new SSD except for Office for MAC which wants a new activation code, thinks its on new hardware I guess.

All went well with the install until like you guys I just could not seat the wi-fi foil correctly and in the end had to leave one of the three fixing screws out, which meant of course that the bottom case does not close properly because those screws hold it on. In fact I didn't detach the wi-fi foil from the MB at all because the connector seemed very fiddly, I was just able to manipulate the foil out of the case with the MB when I pulled it out.

Had one another major issue that is causing me some concern and that is the temp of the case now, which is very warm. Before the SSD was in the box the case was virtually cold to the touch.

Should I expect such a large temp increase or do the Crucial M4s run hot, or do you think I have an issue with either the SSD or the casing now its partially open with that one screw not inserted.

Not that impressed with the response of the SSD either, not half as snappy as I thought it was going to be.

Thanks for any thoughts.
The minis run hot and if the antenna doesn't fit you should fiddle with it more because they fit properly provided that you get the hard drives in properly first.
Omnius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:12 PM   #19
GsySaxMan
macrumors newbie

Omnius

When I got the mini in January it ran and did run virtually cold with just the 1TB HDD installed, including i7 intensive app such as High Def streaming of movies.

However, when I installed the SSD suddenly runs hot with High Def streaming so thinking its the SSD or the changed airflow pattern or the missing screw and imperfect seal that's now causing the issue.

As Titanium81 said should have gone the Fusion route let Apple do the work, pay the premium and get on with my life - couple of fast SSDs in an external USB 3.0 enclosure would deal with the rest.

I have never encountered such a poorly designed piece of kit, makes me think that like the HDMI issue Apple builds these in deliberately, after all with a decent HDMI output we would all be using using TVs as monitors rather than the absurdly expensive TB displays Apple offers; I know I tried with my mini but like a lot of other folk the HDMI output sucks.

Cheers,
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:44 PM   #20
Omnius
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by GsySaxMan View Post
Omnius

When I got the mini in January it ran and did run virtually cold with just the 1TB HDD installed, including i7 intensive app such as High Def streaming of movies.

However, when I installed the SSD suddenly runs hot with High Def streaming so thinking its the SSD or the changed airflow pattern or the missing screw and imperfect seal that's now causing the issue.

As Titanium81 said should have gone the Fusion route let Apple do the work, pay the premium and get on with my life - couple of fast SSDs in an external USB 3.0 enclosure would deal with the rest.

I have never encountered such a poorly designed piece of kit, makes me think that like the HDMI issue Apple builds these in deliberately, after all with a decent HDMI output we would all be using using TVs as monitors rather than the absurdly expensive TB displays Apple offers; I know I tried with my mini but like a lot of other folk the HDMI output sucks.

Cheers,
Every mini since the g4 has run hot under load. If it wasn't hot, it wasn't under load for more than a few moments. Streaming a high def movie isn't really a heavy load. Handbrake would put it under a load. My media mini is always cold, it's rarely under a heavy load. My main mini is warmer when used and hot under load.

You may have put yours back together wrong, it's possible that might impact heat flow. Adding a second disk invariably added to the heat. But a change to the level you're describing just isn't likely. Your mini is made out of aluminum primarily to disperse heat better than other materials. It's basically a big heat sink.

On the unrelated issue of HDMI, many many people have their minis connected to TVs for media consumption. They don't use them for monitors because TVs don't have even close to the same pixel density as good monitors.

honestly, I don't know anyone who uses a TB display for home use on a mini. I really doubt Apple is designing defects to pressure you into buying a TB display. I can say that the 2011 minis handle HDMI and TB to HDMI very well. I've seen plenty of 2012 minis that have 0 issues. I tend to assume that most of the complaints regarding monitors are from folks who got their minis very early on or they didn't download updates before complaining. It seems like the tech savvy people here have expressed experiences that are in line with my understanding.
Omnius is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini