Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pcgo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2013
Hello a client brought me a macbook pro with a EFI PASSWORD on it, a newer macbook you can not reset by changing hardware config. The macbook hdd is clean and no apple shows up on boot. so my question is can i put the hdd in a mackbook of the same model, reformat and put back in efi locked macbook and bootup that way? I know apple has to flash efi pin away but i dont want to have to send this client to apple. :confused:

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
The client doesn't know the EFI pin? My understanding is the EFI pin is in the bios so no amount of HDD swapping is going to bypass it.

pcgo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2013
The client doesn't know the EFI pin? My understanding is the EFI pin is in the bios so no amount of HDD swapping is going to bypass it.

I know that i just need to create a user it used to boot up and got on the admin user but he messed with it i dont need to change any bios i just need to get him logged on

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
You can't boot that machine at all. It's completely locked and only Apple can unlock it.

pcgo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2013

it will boot to user login but he thought he was smart and erased the hdd before he brought it to me so if i put osx back on it will it boot back up

----------

You can't boot that machine at all. It's completely locked and only Apple can unlock it.[/QUOT

it booted before he erased hdd so no booting at all?

if i bought a mobo for it would that work the efi chip is on the mobo right

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
it booted before he erased hdd so no booting at all?

It booted before because the EFI was set to boot from that drive. But once that drive was removed or erased, the EFI didn't know what to boot from. Then because it has a password set, it can't show you the standard boot selection screen or try to boot from something else.

pcgo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2013
It booted before because the EFI was set to boot from that drive. But once that drive was removed or erased, the EFI didn't know what to boot from. Then because it has a password set, it can't show you the standard boot selection screen or try to boot from something else.

so i would have to buy a new mobo

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
he refuses to

Then it sounds suspect to me. He doesn't know the EFI password, refuses to send it to the only place that can fix it the right way and would prefer you swap HDD and maybe the motherboard instead of just sending it to Apple?

Yeah, that smells worse than three day old fish left out in the sun.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I can remove EFI password as well as pinlock .
All serials and user data remain untouched .
My method tested on A1286 (late2011) and (mid2012) .
Very save for hardware and software of unit .

Unfortunately, you cannot. You lack the authorization, tools, and knowledge to preform such tasks.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Authorization: To run the tool that removes the password, oh yes I have legitimate access to it, you must enter your Apple Tech username and password into the EFI reset tool. If you enter in the wrong username/password more than four times, the tool bricks the logicboard by blowing the security fuses on the board and in the EFI chip. If they blow, the whole logicboard must be replaced. There is no way around that lockout. No way to reset the EFI password without it.

I also highly doubt you have the needed TPM access device. They're extremely expensive and Apple is very strict about them. Only giving them out to secure locations. It took my work place five months to get one. Had to sign lots of papers and legal documents. Their cool little devices that use Apple private key to access the TPM. That key is not extractable, reversible, or in any way obtainable. Much like the key Apple uses to sigh SHSH blobs for iOS devices. Without that key in the proper TPM device, it won't work. You won't even get to the stage where you enter your Apple Tech username and password.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Based on the misinformation posted in other threads by the poster just before me, I'd say it's very likely they have no idea what they're talking about.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
That was interesting. However I use my own designed tools based on knowledge obtained by - let say "reverse engineering". With all respect, you have big knowledge about tech system but not a much about electronics. With all respect - You wrong :)

So you somehow reverse engineered a 256-bit AES key all by your lonesome self? I rarely say this, but that is impossible. My knowledge of electronics is just as vast and boundless as it is about tech. If you say you can do it, go in to detail about it. Vivid detail.

remzibi

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2013
Middle Europe
OK :) , calm down. I do not want offence anyone :) .
Well, I know some about TPMs (as Trusted Platform Module) as well as about AES and DES algos , and sometime I like to play with some code, mostly for fun.

.. I rarely say this, but that is impossible...
Let say, I didn't know that is impossible , so probably was the reason I did it :) .

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Your post is lacking vivid details. I've come to the conclusion, that I assume is shared by others in this thread/forum, that you are lying. Based on what you may or may not know about AES encryption, you should at least be aware of the basic most constant; 256-bit cannot be cracked by one lone person such as yourself within any time span less than a decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.