Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clast

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
I have an early 2011 MBP with 10.7.5 and I'd like to put that installation on a mid 2007 MacBook (that is already running 10.7.5, but not with all the apps and tweaks I've done to my MBP). Can I just clone the MBP drive with SuperDuper and put on the MB hdd?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Absolutely, using an app such as Carbon Copy Cloner (my personal preference) or SuperDuper! will work just fine.

Thanks! I've done something similar before, but it feels unbelievable and slightly spooky when these kind of things just work.

Erm, I would not try it, reason is that ML and also maybe Lion have custom install, before this you could boot almost always from lets say OS X Leopard on an external on any Mac, this is not the case anymore, most if not all machines downloads custom OS X versions.

clast

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
Erm, I would not try it, reason is that ML and also maybe Lion have custom install, before this you could boot almost always from lets say OS X Leopard on an external on any Mac, this is not the case anymore, most if not all machines downloads custom OS X versions.
Trying couldn't hurt? The MBP did not come with a Lion installation. I have once done a clean install of Lion on this machine, if that might help.

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK

Trying couldn't hurt? The MBP did not come with a Lion installation. I have once done a clean install of Lion on this machine, if that might help.

I only ever use one installation of Lion, which is then cloned onto various Macs. I've cloned early & late 2006 MacBooks, late 2006 iMacs, as well as various Mac Mini's criss-crossed from & to other machines with no issues whatsoever.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.

True, I should have said Probably won't work instead of I would not try, you af course can try.

I only ever use one installation of Lion, which is then cloned onto various Macs. I've cloned early & late 2006 MacBooks, late 2006 iMacs, as well as various Mac Mini's criss-crossed from & to other machines with no issues whatsoever.

I know it used to work for many machines before but there are lots of threads here on MR proving the contrary.
Trying does not hurt though.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
If the MBP came with Snow Leopard and you installed Lion on it, that makes it more likely to work as a clone source for your MacBook.

I would recommend that you have a good backup of your MB before you start. Also, make sure to copy any data you want that isn't already on your MBP to your MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.