Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fatboyslick

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Hello

Today I finally bought my first Mac - a Macbook Pro - after being a PC user since forever.

I have nearly 300GB of music on my PC which I manage in folders - I don't like iTunes. I need to move the music to my new Macbook but I don't want to add it to iTunes.

Can someone please help advise me where on my Macbook I should save it and how to stop it from automatically adding to iTunes.

Finally, when it comes to playing the music, again, I want to avoid iTunes, so can anyone recommend a something similar to WMP I can use.

Thanks

PS if you're asking why not iTunes, well it's purely preference. I like to select a random selection of albums to play in random. Plus iTunes has previously cocked up my tags and folder structure so want to avoid

MathiasMM

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2011
Best thing would be to go to iTunes -> iTunes menu -> preferences -> Advanced and untick "copy files to folder when added to library library" and "keep the media folder organized".
Once you've done that, it's fair game. Personally, I'd put my music in ~/Music, since I feel that's where it belongs. Unless, of course it should be share between several users on the machine.

As for media players, i'd say you should give iTunes a go again. I also organize media myself, but with the preferences I gave you, it won't mess up your files (though it may make a mess of its own database), but will still be able to play stuff. And you can make playlists of what you want to hear and all sorts of funky stuff, including smart playlists (could be all songs rated 3 or more stars, played more than 100 times, skipped less than 10 times and made before 1980).
For more bare bones, my first thought would be VLC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.