Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I'm sure that it most likely bends more easily than a lot of other phones. It's made primarily out of relatively thin aluminium. However, the user would still have to put quite a bit of pressure on the phone to make it bend.

It's plain to see that the vast majority of iPhone 5s haven't bent, otherwise these stories would be in abundance.

Verdict: user error.

mchnc

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2012
Bending induces high stress to the tiny cross section between the edge of the frame and the volume button hole.

What is strong enough for a (pocket) phone is a question... Carefully handled there won't be any problem, but it's a bit worrying.

bigjim83

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2011
Here's how to fix bend gate. Don't sit on phone and don't wear skinny jeans. These are two things people should never do anyway! :D

njean777

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2009
They are certainly bendable - but not easily. I slammed mine in a car door; the glass shattered and it bent. They don't bend by osmosis as some have claimed - the glass doesn't break all by itself either; as others have claimed.

----------

No it didn't. That "story" has zero credibility. I don't believe it for one second.

What you believe, and what you don't believe, is not my concern.

Last edited:

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Bending induces high stress to the tiny cross section between the edge of the frame and the volume button hole.

[url=http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/2603/whyqf.jpg]Image[/URL]

What is strong enough for a (pocket) phone is a question... Carefully handled there won't be any problem, but it's a bit worrying.

Where do you get these pics from?

Small cross section. Thin, pliable, non-tempered aluminum. Bent phone.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Here's how to fix bend gate. Don't sit on phone and don't wear skinny jeans. These are two things people should never do anyway! :D
In other words, don't subject the 5 to the same forces you could safely subject to the 4/4S? Got ya.

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
What you believe, and what you don't believe, is not my concern.

Yet you replied anyway. The fact remains, phones don't just break all by themselves. The story lacks any credibility. Have a nice day.

pseudocain

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2013
Shame on you apple! I have been an avid Apple fanboy for years. I have owned all iterations of the iPhone except the iPhone 4. I have always believed in your products. I have sold five times as many of your products by word of mouth than I have bought, and believe me, I have owned pretty much anything with your logo on it that has been produced in the last eight years. You were always a little bit behind the cutting edge, but I always bought your products because they simply worked. Under the reign of Steve Jobs you did a superb job ensuring your products became extensions of the human body, synchronously living our day to day lives with us, device in hand.

Then I bought the iPhone 5. From the first second, I was a proud owner of a new idevice. It immediately was placed in an Otterbox, where is stayed between cleanings. When in the car or at work, it sat in a dock. When carrying it, it was religiously carried in my front pockets. Then when I took it out to clean last week, I noted my phone was bent. Everything works fine. Except for the contour of my leg impressed into the phone. It is immaculate.

After a few minutes of searching the web, I was overcome by the numbers of blog posts, discussion board posts, and even youtube videos chronicling the woes of once happy iPhone 5 owners who are distraught about the conditions of their 200 to 400 dollar relatively new phones which are bent. After visiting the apple store and being shunned by the manager, I was beginning to get the feeling that this was not the same apple company that would stand behind their product as they did in the past. Apple's official response is that they do not cover physical damage resulting from abuse to the phone. They do not consider their flubbed soft phone as a manufacturer's defect. I was offered to repair my phone for 229 dollars. It's not that I don't have the money. I refuse to pay that on principle. Again, shame on you apple!

After speaking with management in their technical support department, I was offered a 50 dollar credit to use at the apple store on a new product. I was essentially told they apologized for my inconvenience, but there is nothing they can do. And oh by the way, you can't use the certificate towards the repair.

So at they point, I have lost all faith in Apple. I have seen the gap between Apple and Android rapidly closing. The apple ecosystem it seems has simply grown too large. They have forgotten the roots laid by Steve Jobs in which the bottom line was user experience, not profit. The adage, if you build it, they will come was what made you the juggernaut you have become.

My stable of Apple products is getting old. It is time to replace my original iPad and the seven year old iMac in the office isn't too far behind. Unfortunately, the sour Apple which I have recently eaten has me looking towards Google and its products. Their cloud based products are getting pretty cool and my 1000 plus employee company has just made that jump also. Migration is making more and more sense. It is no wonder your stock price has gone down around 400 dollars a share and your earnings remain flat.

I am putting this out there in the hopes it is actually read and heard. Leaving you, Apple, it one of the hardest breakups of my life. I hope you change, I do! I would still take you back if you got back on track, only I am skeptical that you won't be able to see past the arrogance you have developed now that you are too big for your britches.

dontpannic

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2011
Orpington, Kent, UK
Bendgate? Seriously?

Can't we just stop with appending 'gate' to things seeing as even at watergate it wasn't a gate (otherwise it would be watergategate), so to continue using it present day is frankly, ridiculous.

Aluminium bends if you apply enough pressure. This is true of phones, cars, even pots and pans, cutlery... If you expect your phone to look after itself then you're mad. Take care of your devices!!!

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Shame on you apple! I have been an avid Apple fanboy for years. I have owned all iterations of the iPhone except the iPhone 4. I have always believed in your products. I have sold five times as many of your products by word of mouth than I have bought, and believe me, I have owned pretty much anything with your logo on it that has been produced in the last eight years. You were always a little bit behind the cutting edge, but I always bought your products because they simply worked. Under the reign of Steve Jobs you did a superb job ensuring your products became extensions of the human body, synchronously living our day to day lives with us, device in hand.

Then I bought the iPhone 5. From the first second, I was a proud owner of a new idevice. It immediately was placed in an Otterbox, where is stayed between cleanings. When in the car or at work, it sat in a dock. When carrying it, it was religiously carried in my front pockets. Then when I took it out to clean last week, I noted my phone was bent. Everything works fine. Except for the contour of my leg impressed into the phone. It is immaculate.

After a few minutes of searching the web, I was overcome by the numbers of blog posts, discussion board posts, and even youtube videos chronicling the woes of once happy iPhone 5 owners who are distraught about the conditions of their 200 to 400 dollar relatively new phones which are bent. After visiting the apple store and being shunned by the manager, I was beginning to get the feeling that this was not the same apple company that would stand behind their product as they did in the past. Apple's official response is that they do not cover physical damage resulting from abuse to the phone. They do not consider their flubbed soft phone as a manufacturer's defect. I was offered to repair my phone for 229 dollars. It's not that I don't have the money. I refuse to pay that on principle. Again, shame on you apple!

After speaking with management in their technical support department, I was offered a 50 dollar credit to use at the apple store on a new product. I was essentially told they apologized for my inconvenience, but there is nothing they can do. And oh by the way, you can't use the certificate towards the repair.

So at they point, I have lost all faith in Apple. I have seen the gap between Apple and Android rapidly closing. The apple ecosystem it seems has simply grown too large. They have forgotten the roots laid by Steve Jobs in which the bottom line was user experience, not profit. The adage, if you build it, they will come was what made you the juggernaut you have become.

My stable of Apple products is getting old. It is time to replace my original iPad and the seven year old iMac in the office isn't too far behind. Unfortunately, the sour Apple which I have recently eaten has me looking towards Google and its products. Their cloud based products are getting pretty cool and my 1000 plus employee company has just made that jump also. Migration is making more and more sense. It is no wonder your stock price has gone down around 400 dollars a share and your earnings remain flat.

I am putting this out there in the hopes it is actually read and heard. Leaving you, Apple, it one of the hardest breakups of my life. I hope you change, I do! I would still take you back if you got back on track, only I am skeptical that you won't be able to see past the arrogance you have developed now that you are too big for your britches.

That is one of the most sensational stories I have heard in my life. Bravo for taking the time to piece that together. The words flowed so well. Your anger almost seemed real. The background you gave on your apple product history really gave insight as to what kind of person we are dealing with here. And then finally, your choice to leave an entire company because of one product really made us see how Apple had burned you. Great story, truly great writing. I will take these words to heart and consider them deeply the next time I'm buying an Apple product. :rolleyes:

walmartmartyr

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012

Good writing indeed. I don't doubt that there is a weak spot where the volumn buttons are. BUT, I put my phone in my front pocket also, with a clear plastic thin case on it. (don't understand the big ugly cases that conseal the R&D apple puts in its products. would u buy a phone that was as fat as an ottorbox case?) when im snowblowing my driveway, I have to lean into the machine with my theighs to get the snowblower to eat stubborn drifts. I can feel the phone in my pocket pressing against my leg. NEVER had it bend. Oh well, if it does, I have applecare + which will be a $50 bill for accidental damage.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
If you own an iPhone 5 you should use a case to avoid the bending, but the reality is that the device CAN bend, and WILL bend should you provide enough pressure.

That's kind of the point. Folks are talking like they barely touched it and it bent. But really if it was that soft and fragile Apple would have discovered this way before the phone was released.

And even as you say 'enough pressure'

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
There's only one way that, in my opinion, a phone can bend. Sitting on it in your back pocket.

woodynorman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
I am putting this out there in the hopes it is actually read and heard.

Then why post here??

Shouldn't you send your letter to Apple??

For what it's worth, I rock my iPhone 5 naked in my front pocket all day long, since launch day. I do pool plumbing and repair and am constantly leaning against things. Mines not even remotely bent.

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY
Im calling ******** nothing bends without having a force applied to it.My girlfriend sat on her iPhone 5 and bent it.Why she kept it in her back pocket is beyond me but nothing bends without force unless you have magneto like powers you caused the bending.Its weird because you'll only here about on these forums never on any tech site

And to quote WalMartWarrior "Except for the contour of my leg impressed into the phone" I believe we can read into that and see what caused it.Nothing bends on its own accord.Every action has an equal reaction Physics 101

Last edited:

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
Actually things can bend in what may seem a spontaneous manner. Metal that is shaped under pressure may relax over time and take a new shape - however I don't believe any of the iPhone bending reports are related to this type of bending.

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
The aluminum they used is a softer kind, some people say cheaper kind.
I too noticed that my phone is slightly bent after subjecting it to the same forces as my iphone 4. Believe what you will, but I noticed this bending before reading this particular topic on the forums. It's not that went looking for it. Lying in bed, I noticed that my screen looked a bit warped, not enough to be broken, but it's not straight and flat. And my thin plastic case has one edge that doesn't snap into place anymore. That's all the evidence I need. I shouldn't have to change my usage patterns and how I handle the phone.

Looking around town, there are people with a black iphone 5 who don't use a case who have completely scuffed edges around that chamfeurred area. It's pretty ugly and worse looking that the glass back of the iphone 4 (which incidentally is much easier and cheaper to replace--$15 or so).

Needless to say this will be my last Apple phone for sure, unless they price their phones lower, which they won't do. My beef is more from the general idea of paying more for a product that isn't built any better than cheaper alternatives, and the idea that the company willingly touts their superior manufacturing quality. It's getting harder and harder to stomach.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
STUFF BENDS!?!?!

When did this happen? Is there a newsletter (Basic Elementary Sciece?) that I can subscribe to in order to be in the loop on such massive developments??????????????

"Bendgate" is not real. 100% fake. 100% NOT a manufacturers responsibility to have to remind you that stuff bends.

If you need instructions:

If something is bending based upon the amount of pressure you are putting on it (and you don't want it to), STOP doing what you are doing (sitting on it, skinny jeans, laying on it, trying to bend it to see if yours bends too...).

I 100% understand that everything bad that happens is someone elses fault. It's never the person with the problem's fault. Ever. Just add a "gate" to the end of it, claim it happened on it's own (or that you had something you sat on once that didn't bend), and voila...

But that doesn't make it any less fake. There is no "bendgate". The 5 bends. The 4 bends. TITANIUM bends.

DON'T BEND IT. Problem solved.

/thread

jalamanta

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2011
STUFF BENDS!?!?!

When did this happen? Is there a newsletter (Basic Elementary Sciece?) that I can subscribe to in order to be in the loop on such massive developments??????????????

"Bendgate" is not real. 100% fake. 100% NOT a manufacturers responsibility to have to remind you that stuff bends.

If you need instructions:

If something is bending based upon the amount of pressure you are putting on it (and you don't want it to), STOP doing what you are doing (sitting on it, skinny jeans, laying on it, trying to bend it to see if yours bends too...).

I 100% understand that everything bad that happens is someone elses fault. It's never the person with the problem's fault. Ever. Just add a "gate" to the end of it, claim it happened on it's own (or that you had something you sat on once that didn't bend), and voila...

But that doesn't make it any less fake. There is no "bendgate". The 5 bends. The 4 bends. TITANIUM bends.

DON'T BEND IT. Problem solved.

/thread

what a clown

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.