Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jimmy.apple.fan

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
UK
Awaiting new iMac..... Very excited!!
Already have Apple TV & kids have iPads/iPhones!!

Once I rip DVDs onto the iMac will it be possible to then view any of those DVDs via home sharing over home wi fi network on iPad/apple TV?!?

Am told I need a NAS HArd drive which will be able to store the DVDs as well as allowing them to be streamed onto any device?!? If this is the case would a time capsule be ok or too slow according to some reports?

Help...!!!????

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009

Once I rip DVDs onto the iMac will it be possible to then view any of those DVDs via home sharing over home wi fi network on iPad/apple TV?!?

Am told I need a NAS HArd drive which will be able to store the DVDs as well as allowing them to be streamed onto any device?!? If this is the case would a time capsule be ok or too slow according to some reports?

Help...!!!????

Only if you have them shared thru iTunes on your iMac. Homesharing (which is what you want to use) only works thru iTunes. You can't directly share them from the NAS, but you could load them into iTunes (leaving the files on the NAS) and share them all the rest of the devices.

And no, you don't need a NAS. I use direct attached storage (i.e. external hard drives) attached to my Mac Pro and store my content there. Much cheaper than a NAS.

lucasfer899

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
London
Only if you have them shared thru iTunes on your iMac. Homesharing (which is what you want to use) only works thru iTunes. You can't directly share them from the NAS, but you could load them into iTunes (leaving the files on the NAS) and share them all the rest of the devices.

And no, you don't need a NAS. I use direct attached storage (i.e. external hard drives) attached to my Mac Pro and store my content there. Much cheaper than a NAS.

I agree with this, using a desktop computer for home sharing is where it's at.
It's just that some people like to use NAS boxes because they use (just a bit) less power than a Mac Pro. ;)

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I agree with this, using a desktop computer for home sharing is where it's at.
It's just that some people like to use NAS boxes because they use (just a bit) less power than a Mac Pro. ;)

My Mac Pro does double duty running multiple VM's. Since it has to be on at all times, it makes complete sense for it to also be used as my Media Server. It might be over kill if all you do is use it as a Media Server, but since at any time it is running between 3-4 VM's it isn't overkill for me.

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009

Help...!!!????

Depending on how big your hard drive is in your new iMac and how many DVDs you'll be ripping, you may not even need an extra drive.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010

You can indeed share your Media Library from the NAS without an apple Computer or Itunes. Synology makes a bunch of IOS applications which enable this. For example DS Video allows any IOS device to play video Content directly from the NAS. DS Audio allows any IOS device to play Music directly from he NAS.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
I use a Mac mini as my home media server (among many other tasks).
picture.php

It's a 3 year old server version with Snow Leopard Server, but that's entirely unnecessary for a media server. 9TB capacity at the moment, with the drive "toaster" for backups. 70 watt power consumption, most from the disk drives.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
Well, for power comparisons I have a 5 bay DS1511+ as well as a DX510 expansion. 10 drives, mix of 3TB WD Red and 2TB Seagate Green drives. Typical power consumption for the whole 12TB (useable!) monstrosity is about 35 watts.

Jimmy.apple.fan

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
UK
Thanks!!

So to clarify the only benefit, as such, of using a NAS external HD is you can access & share media directly from the drive without having to go through the main computer/iTunes?!?

So logically, the only real time advantage is you can close down the computer & keep sharing whereas with just the computer it must always be turned on I assume! Want it to be as easy as possible for my children to be able to access from their IOS devices without having to seek help from myself (or you guys.....!!!!!:D) and without having to go into my study & turn the computer on etc!

Want it to be fluid like & always available to them ie at bedtimes etc ?

Thanks

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
Only certain NAS setups will let you avoid iTunes.

A simple setup is to have everything organized in iTunes and then set your iMac to "Wake for network access" in System Preferences -> Energy Saver. This will let your iMac go into low power sleep mode, then wake up when someone tries to stream something and automatically go back into sleep mode when they're done.

Jimmy.apple.fan

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
UK

A simple setup is to have everything organized in iTunes and then set your iMac to "Wake for network access" in System Preferences -> Energy Saver. This will let your iMac go into low power sleep mode, then wake up when someone tries to stream something and automatically go back into sleep mode when they're done.

Sounds like a cracking idea thanks!!

lucasfer899

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
London

This is certainly the best idea.
iMacs make really good 24/7 machines, as they are so quiet, and when the display is off, barely any power gets used.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
You can indeed share your Media Library from the NAS without an apple Computer or Itunes. Synology makes a bunch of IOS applications which enable this. For example DS Video allows any IOS device to play video Content directly from the NAS. DS Audio allows any IOS device to play Music directly from he NAS.

Did you see he mentioned an AppleTV? Unless I missed something, you can't add an App to an AppleTV....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.