Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M Powered

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
Opps... I meant to say I used shift, option, control, not cmd, was looking at the wrong keyboard haha. So ya... smc no efffect :/

walkie

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2010
Maybe the discrete GPU (nvidia 650) is not longer switching when running Lightroom, download gfxCardStatus and see if your rMBP is switching properly.

M Powered

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
Maybe the discrete GPU (nvidia 650) is not longer switching when running Lightroom, download gfxCardStatus and see if your rMBP is switching properly.

I'll try that!

----------

if your running, your rMBP at non HiDPI 2560x1440, you shouldn't have any lag.

are you running just your retina or are you running the retina plus an external display at 2560x1440

Running only external display. My mbp remains closed. Hooked up to a t bolt display

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
If he's running external display, your dGPU should be switched automatically...
It could possibly be a dead GPU so try using that gfxcardstatus and find out.

Calisi*

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2012
Down under land
I don't know what happened, about 2 weeks ago my MBP got noticeably slower using Lightroom 4, it would take twice as long to render 1:1 preview, and moving images around would be really choppy.

I didn't change anything or updated any setting.

I even reformated and reinstalled OSX Mountain Lion and the problem is still there.

I compared the performance to my friends same spec rMBP and his is much faster.

Ideas? I did a pram reset also, Is there a hardware issue? The boot times and shut down is still fast, I'm guessing it maybe the graphics card? Ram issue?

My system spec is 2.3 Ghz, 8gb of ram, base 15" rmbp model.

Very frustrating.
It is just Lightroom that's going slow or the whole macbook? Because when I downloaded the new LR4 update for Retina, it slowed me LR down immensely and it's gotten to the point where it's driving me mad and I would rather use Photoshop.

M Powered

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
It is just Lightroom that's going slow or the whole macbook? Because when I downloaded the new LR4 update for Retina, it slowed me LR down immensely and it's gotten to the point where it's driving me mad and I would rather use Photoshop.

Just LR4, I use everything else seems fine.

----------

If he's running external display, your dGPU should be switched automatically...
It could possibly be a dead GPU so try using that gfxcardstatus and find out.

downloaded gfxcardstatus, it detects my discrete graphics card, everything seems fine, It won't let me switch to integrated graphics because it says , CS6 is open and external display.

So I'm guessing because I have an external display hooked up, my discrete is working properly? safe to say?

----------

any fan activity when this happens?

Naw, fan is off unless I'm batch processing.

swl7

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2010
yup,

Geekbench 32bit gave me 10,886

Cinebench came in at ~36fps.

Normal?

yup those benchmarks are normal for your base model of the rMBP 15". Maybe you could try using the laptop without an external monitor. It could be that your external display is causing problems.

ppone

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2011
Try this.

Unhook your external display.

Download this app RDM

http://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/vi9yf/set_your_retina_macbook_pros_resolution_to/

Set the resolution to something non HiDPI and comfortable.

Try 2048x1280

Now, try the software that was giving you trouble.

Another solution: You can also go to finder and right click on the app, to get info. There should be an option to set the app to "low resolution" mode, I don't like this solution because it makes UI elements inconsistent meaning, you have HiDPI and non HiDPI UI elements side by side from different apps.

Using HiDPI vs Non HiDPI and comparing to the XBench graphics test,

I found Non HiDPI delivers better performance.

I'll try that!

----------

Running only external display. My mbp remains closed. Hooked up to a t bolt display

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.