Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Power cord is hard wired into the UPS as shown on Amazon. I ordered one this morning and the pictures showed that power cord attached to the BOX.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470939031&pf_rd_i=507846

Yep, that's the one I have and the power cord is hard-wired into the unit.

Great UPS, fyi. I've pulled the plug on it several times to test my iMac's stability since getting the UPS last week, and there have been no issues at all. Not even a buzzing from the PSU which there was on on my old UPS when the power would cut out. I really like it so far. :)

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
Power cord is hard wired into the UPS as shown on Amazon. I ordered one this morning and the pictures showed that power cord attached to the BOX.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470939031&pf_rd_i=507846

Great UPS, fyi. I've pulled the plug on it several times to test my iMac's stability since getting the UPS last week, and there have been no issues at all. Not even a buzzing from the PSU which there was on on my old UPS when the power would cut out. I really like it so far. :)

Thanks to you both! I checked the 'what's in the box' and it didn't show up so it got me wondering. Make sense! :D

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California

How long will your UPS stay on with the iMac connected to it?

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
How long will your UPS stay on with the iMac connected to it?

Long enough. It really depends on several factors. What you're doing, screen brightness, other accessories attached etc. Even the smallest Cyberpower is overkill for an iMac, and I have my iMac set to shut down after 1 minute if the power doesn't come back on in that time anyway.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
Long enough. It really depends on several factors. What you're doing, screen brightness, other accessories attached etc. Even the smallest Cyberpower is overkill for an iMac, and I have my iMac set to shut down after 1 minute if the power doesn't come back on in that time anyway.

I've been looking for a UPS for my iMac and a bunch of external hard drives. I have a 27" iMac which eats up 320w, according to Apple. I'd like to get something that gives me enough time to wrap up what I'm doing and safely shut everything down in the case of a power failure. I was thinking of getting a 900w+ unit but I wanted to know how much time a unit like the one you have keeps your iMac going after a power failure.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I've been looking for a UPS for my iMac and a bunch of external hard drives. I have a 27" iMac which eats up 320w, according to Apple. I'd like to get something that gives me enough time to wrap up what I'm doing and safely shut everything down in the case of a power failure. I was thinking of getting a 900w+ unit but I wanted to know how much time a unit like the one you have keeps your iMac going after a power failure.

I'm running 3x external drives. Honestly, I don't think you'd need more than the lowest power Cyberpower. 320W is insane, and that's only going to happen if you have your sound cranked to max, the brightness cranked to max, the CPU under full load, and the GPU under full load. Basically, it's never going to happen when you're not right in front of the computer, and only on rare occasions if you're gaming, and even then...

With my 2012 27" i7 loaded iMac it's approximately 20-30 minutes of runtime if I recall correctly, just sitting there with the display on moderately. I don't really want to test that out, personally, and it doesn't matter to me since if I'm sitting in front of the computer I have time to decide what to do, and if it's an extended outage or while I'm asleep, whether it's 30 minutes or two 2 hours makes no difference to me.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
I'm running 3x external drives. Honestly, I don't think you'd need more than the lowest power Cyberpower. 320W is insane, and that's only going to happen if you have your sound cranked to max, the brightness cranked to max, the CPU under full load, and the GPU under full load. Basically, it's never going to happen when you're not right in front of the computer, and only on rare occasions if you're gaming, and even then...

With my 2012 27" i7 loaded iMac it's approximately 20-30 minutes of runtime if I recall correctly, just sitting there with the display on moderately. I don't really want to test that out, personally, and it doesn't matter to me since if I'm sitting in front of the computer I have time to decide what to do, and if it's an extended outage or while I'm asleep, whether it's 30 minutes or two 2 hours makes no difference to me.

Gotcha.

Well I don't think I'm running at 320w continuously, I just went with Apple's spec for my iMac's model (27" 2011 BTO iMac). Actually, it does say "Maximum continuous power: 310w". So no need to worry about that.

Yeah, about 30 minutes is plenty of time to either wait for the power to return or safely shut down the entire system. It would also be great to have a couple hours of juice while everything is asleep to avoid completely restarting a system.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Gotcha.

Well I don't think I'm running at 320w continuously, I just went with Apple's spec for my iMac's model (27" 2011 BTO iMac). Actually, it does say "Maximum continuous power: 310w". So no need to worry about that.

Yeah, about 30 minutes is plenty of time to either wait for the power to return or safely shut down the entire system. It would also be great to have a couple hours of juice while everything is asleep to avoid completely restarting a system.

If your system is asleep, you'd easily get a couple of hours I'd imagine, with even the smallest Cyberpower. Probably a good deal longer. Basically, don't go overkill on your UPS. It takes up a lot of space, and is simply a waste of money NOW (the UPS costs more), and LATER (the replacement battery costs more).

Plus the little UPS is so cute. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.