Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CXVI

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2012
I'm thinking of going with the iMac specs;
12gb memory
3.2GHz Quad-core Intel Core i5
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5

The only game I play is WoW so i'm curious about the performance from the machine if anyone has a similar model I do not expect to play on max settings, i'm curious if the fps fairly high in all situations on fair-high graphics?

MacAlien

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2012
Boston
All setting on Ultra, Shadows Disabled, goes to 100+ fps consistently but tis capped at 55 fps and have never seen it drop once after a few weeks. Doesn't matter after that seeing as the human eye can't really differentiate much difference beyond like, 30-50fps anyways.

CXVI

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2012
All setting on Ultra, Shadows Disabled, goes to 100+ fps consistently but tis capped at 55 fps and have never seen it drop once after a few weeks. Doesn't matter after that seeing as the human eye can't really differentiate much difference beyond like, 30-50fps anyways.
no issues at all fps spikes or crashing?
have you tired gw2 by any chance?

MacAlien

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2012
Boston

Never crashed or seen spikes minus once from Comcast playing with the neighborhood connection. Am in a top 50 guild so least in a PVE environment, it's fine. Have never tried GW2 and the likelihood is slim to nil. ;)

youeyemind

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2013
Isn't WoW 10 years old? How can it not fly on any computer? It's childish graphics can't be that demanding. Just be careful though. That game is notorious for ruining careers, marriages, and lives.

If I was going to throw away my career/ life, I would pick a newer game with better visuals.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
For wow you don't need 27" imac only if you want the screen. But even the base model 27" is very good enough for playing wow

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
Isn't WoW 10 years old? How can it not fly on any computer? It's childish graphics can't be that demanding. Just be careful though. That game is notorious for ruining careers, marriages, and lives.

If I was going to throw away my career/ life, I would pick a newer game with better visuals.

They upgrade the engine continuously. Don't confuse the style of graphics for the complexity of what is displayed. Their spell effects can be pretty involved.

UltraInstinct

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom
I have played WoW on an windows xp notebook 11" about 2 years ago fine, and used to always play WoW on my intel core duo MacBook all the time from 2006-2010 so I am sure you will be fine.

CXVI

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2012
Never crashed or seen spikes minus once from Comcast playing with the neighborhood connection. Am in a top 50 guild so least in a PVE environment, it's fine. Have never tried GW2 and the likelihood is slim to nil. ;)
you play at 2560-by-1440 on ultra?

I was worried since GTX 680MX is a mobile card :(
but for WoW and Diablo 3 and future blizzard games I do pretty well with this setup?

Last edited:

macguy360

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2011
They upgrade the engine continuously. Don't confuse the style of graphics for the complexity of what is displayed. Their spell effects can be pretty involved.

This is correct. One way you can tell that they overhaul the graphics engine is how they have changed from open gl to directx. Previously you could force run open gl to improve performance on macs but im not sure that you still can.

MacAlien

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2012
Boston

WoW's visuals may be involved, but their graphic engine is old. No getting around it. Blizz implemented a better graphic engines for D3 and SC2, but they haven't updated WoWs all that much over the course of 10 years. The game is made for bare bone graphic cards (hi2u2 HD3000?). Blizz did start trying to update WoW in Cataclysm and a bit more with MoP, but not all that much. Definitely not enough to make the 680 in the iMac break a sweat.

And yes, I play at native resolution of 2560x1440. But like I said, I don't play with Shadows on (never have and far too lazy to care about it). And I always cap my fps, since there's zero needs for more other than epeen and MoP introduced a bug with graphic cards in that they can get burned out. Fun times! D3 is also played at the highest setting, which was a little surprising the first time coming from the old iMac. Hell, it took me about a week to not get nauseated in WoW due to how stupidly smooth it ran vs. what I've been used to. ;)

SC2 was getting 103fps with every maxed out for the first 3 or 4 mission thingies you get with the basic starter edition, but since I don't know squat about how to play that game nor care, it doesn't really affect me.

Some people have random lag spikes or crashing. I have no clues why, but personally even on my old iMac I've never had a single issue with the game, minus WotLK, in the Howling Fjord where there's a forest that's all red and on fire... yeah, that area made my old iMac cry. New one, not at all.

Also, far as the editing to force the opengl thing. That's been gone since WotLK-ish, early Cata.

N33t

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2011
And I always cap my fps, since there's zero needs for more other than epeen and MoP introduced a bug with graphic cards in that they can get burned out.

Can you expand on this please? How do you cap fps and is there really an issue leaving them uncapped.

I have the same iMac spec as you (well, only 16GB RAM) and WoW runs like a hot knife through butter.

rcp27

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
This is correct. One way you can tell that they overhaul the graphics engine is how they have changed from open gl to directx. Previously you could force run open gl to improve performance on macs but im not sure that you still can.

You what?

DirectX is a set of APIs for the Windows operating system. It does not exist for any OS other than Windows. Given that WoW runs on a Mac, it does not use DirectX (well it might for its windows client, but not for the Mac one). OpenGL, as the "open" implies, is cross platform. The reason a lot of games are hard to port to the mac is because they are written for DirectX. If you write for DirectX, you are tied to windows, and it's hard to port. If you write for OpenGL, your code is much easier to make cross-platform.

MacAlien

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2012
Boston
Can you expand on this please? How do you cap fps and is there really an issue leaving them uncapped.

I have the same iMac spec as you (well, only 16GB RAM) and WoW runs like a hot knife through butter.

Wished I could find the thread about it but has something to do with WoW handling various tasks and making the gpu go into overdrive. Plus, since the max refresh rate is 60 mhz on all the screens you simply won't see any differences visually past 60fps (I'd thought it was 50fps but was off). All it'd do is needlessly heat up your gpu and cpu for no real reasons.

While in game, type /console maxfps 50 or whatever you want it set to. Alternatively, you can go into the Game Menu- System - Advanced and use the slider to set your foreground and background fps.

Ryan.Tanner

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
McKinney, TX
I play with everything on ultra except shadows, which I play with at medium (of whatever is the one below ultra), and I get 50fps in cities and 60-70+ in 25man raids.

GW2 runs great as well in 2560x1440. I get 70+fps in GW2 out in the environment, but in the cities it can drop down to the 20's when there are a lot of players around.

you play at 2560-by-1440 on ultra?

I was worried since GTX 680MX is a mobile card :(
but for WoW and Diablo 3 and future blizzard games I do pretty well with this setup?
WOW, Starcraft, and Diablo III all look glorious at native resolutions.

CXVI

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2012
I play with everything on ultra except shadows, which I play with at medium (of whatever is the one below ultra), and I get 50fps in cities and 60-70+ in 25man raids.

GW2 runs great as well in 2560x1440. I get 70+fps in GW2 out in the environment, but in the cities it can drop down to the 20's when there are a lot of players around.

WOW, Starcraft, and Diablo III all look glorious at native resolutions.
thanks for all the feedback guys, ill go with the iMac :)

Leonavice

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2013
I ran WOW on my rMBP at 2880 x 1800. FPS not that good, around 30 at Valley of the 4 winds next to the cooking dailies.

However, it was fantastic during Cata expansion. I think MOP upped the system requirements by a whole lot.

CXVI

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2012
I ran WOW on my rMBP at 2880 x 1800. FPS not that good, around 30 at Valley of the 4 winds next to the cooking dailies.

However, it was fantastic during Cata expansion. I think MOP upped the system requirements by a whole lot.
I don't understand this. Makes me question getting my iMac.
With the specs of the retina mbp, in a area like that the rmbp is easily overkill for wow no way should you run below max fps...

Malacoda

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2009
Meridian, ID
I brought my new 27" iMac with the 680MX upgrade home on Thursday, and one of the first things I did was copy WoW over from the older machine. I am very happy, overall, with WoW on the 2012 iMac. I have most of the settings set quite high, with the shadows set to low (shadows are an FPS killer), distance set to Good and clutter set to the lowest.

I get 60 FPS (V Sync is turned on) in all dungeons/raids even with a billion spell effects going on. When on the ground in most areas I get 60 FPS, even in busy places such as Stormwind. When I am flying around, and thus the system has to process much more terrain, it sometimes drops to 30 FPS. It also depends on the zone. Older zones seem less efficient than newer zones.

If you do a lot of flying around the world, turning the settings down might be a good plan. I play WoW primarily for the instances, so I have done fine with the higher settings. Either way, WoW runs fabulously on the machine. It's the best I have ever seen WoW on my own hardware, and have been amazingly happy with the purchase. The SSD is also nice.

MacAlien

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2012
Boston
I don't understand this. Makes me question getting my iMac.
With the specs of the retina mbp, in a area like that the rmbp is easily overkill for wow no way should you run below max fps...

Keep in mind, Blizzard and retina displays seem to have more issues than non-retina screens. Still pretty new and Blizz tends to be slow to really optimize the game with new technology. The iMac is fine. Also, HD4000 isn't all that great. Even the 650M w/1GB isn't the most powerful example when trying to compare to the iMacs.

The only thing MoP did far as system requirements was discontinue support for older OSs and super uber weak graphic cards that were older than the earth. We're talking computers from 7-8 years ago. It still runs on those computers but just not too supported. MoP has been plagued with so many bugs vs. previous expansions and quite a lot of them have never been addressed. Cata and before, the xpacs, while not 100% bug free were much better off when they went Live. Just like today's patch, I'm pretty positive there's going to be a crapton of issues popping up since the theme nowadays seems to rush everything.

Last edited:

CXVI

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2012
Keep in mind, Blizzard and retina displays seem to have more issues than non-retina screens. Still pretty new and Blizz tends to be slow to really optimize the game with new technology. The iMac is fine. Also, HD4000 isn't all that great. Even the 650M w/1GB isn't the most powerful example when trying to compare to the iMacs.

The only thing MoP did far as system requirements was discontinue support for older OSs and super uber weak graphic cards that were older than the earth. We're talking computers from 7-8 years ago. It still runs on those computers but just not too supported. MoP has been plagued with so many bugs vs. previous expansions and quite a lot of them have never been addressed. Cata and before, the xpacs, while not 100% bug free were much better off when they went Live. Just like today's patch, I'm pretty positive there's going to be a crapton of issues popping up since the theme nowadays seems to rush everything.
great to hear that the iMac runs fine and blizzard strive with macs in-mind gives me peace of mind to go ahead with the iMac, now I can have best of both worlds on one desktop (no more switching to PC for games and casual/work on my mac).

Our systems are simliar though I settled with 16GB ram. In-game i'm into 10 man runs and LFR that's as far as the heavy lifting gets for me majority of my gaming is farming materials and crafting, comparing my gaming style to your progressive gameplay I'm sure my lack of ram will still run like a breeze thanks a lot for the input and maxfps tip! :)

Leonavice

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2013
Technically, the RAM you upgraded will be of no benefit with regards to WOW. The key upgrade you did was the GPU upgrade to 680MX with 2G RAM. That is going to be the major impact.

Pre-MOP patch 5.0 (the patch to get everything ready just before MOP release) was the patch that broke the retina version. Before that, everything was running fine.

Scrapula

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
Seattle, WA

It gets updated. My husband has a 3 year old PC with a mid-range video card and is getting 15 fps. He is buying a new PC because it is interfering with his WoW playing. I have to be on anti-depressants because he prefers playing WoW to spending time with me.

youeyemind

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2013
It gets updated. My husband has a 3 year old PC with a mid-range video card and is getting 15 fps. He is buying a new PC because it is interfering with his WoW playing. I have to be on anti-depressants because he prefers playing WoW to spending time with me.

Story after story about this kind of thing happening. Good luck with everything. It is such a horrible time wasting, out-dated, life/soul sucking behemoth of pain and pestilence. Way to go WOW.

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States

Can't tell if trolling... Or trolling...

That's up to the person, not the game.

And I hate to break it to you, but if you play a game for the visuals alone, you're playing it for the wrong reasons. There's lots of great games that don't have the best visuals (Minecraft, for example).

----------

Story after story about this kind of thing happening. Good luck with everything. It is such a horrible time wasting, out-dated, life/soul sucking behemoth of pain and pestilence. Way to go WOW.

Goes to show the success of Blizzard's game, at least from a business point of view.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.