Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OCOTILLO

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 25, 2005
Houston, TX
I recently developed a scrolling problem with my Mighty Mouse. It started to only vertical scroll in one direction. I reinstalled the software and it did not help. So, I called Apple tech support. While waiting on the line, I decided to press quite hard on the scroll button and try to scroll. That cured the problem, after that it only required the normal light touch to work properly. I do not know what was the cause of the problem, maybe dust(?), in any event it is working fine now.

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
Fine, it means you don't need answers here, right?, being polite I just say, fine.

*goes to the corner and waist for the BT mighty thing*

OCOTILLO

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 25, 2005
Houston, TX
AmigoMac said:
Fine, it means you don't need answers here, right?, being polite I just say, fine.

*goes to the corner and waist for the BT mighty thing*
Thanks for stating the obvious. I posted this as information should anyone else run into the same problem.

sucralose

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2005
actually, i am having the same problem.... the mm scrolls up but not down for some reason.... pushing hard on the scroll ball didn't help.....

g4cubed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2004
I read on another thread (can remember exact one) that someone was asking how to clean the ball, with no answer. I wonder if that is part of your problem. Finger oils and dust can play hell on some things.

mynameisjesse

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2005
new york.
wow!

i JUST had this problem yesterday. i was about to take it to the apple store but then i decided to just push on it really hard. yep it fixed it for me too(i couldnt scroll upwards). but then a few hours later i couldnt scroll down, so i tried again. at first the pushing hard didnt work but eventually it did. it felt like something was stuck inside there, a woodchip i think, and pushing it hard simply pushes it out.

lazydog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2005
Cramlington, UK
OCOTILLO said:
Thanks for stating the obvious. I posted this as information should anyone else run into the same problem.

I had exactly the same problem and your solution works. So thanks for the post, it saved me a lot time and effort. Nothing wrong with posting a question and a solution, after all the whole point of these forums is to help other people which is exactly what you did!

Ben

Zim Bargo

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2004
London
I haven't had that problem but something even more annoying started happening over the weekend.

Firstly - it would suddenly initiate both expose and dashboard - often simultaneously but sometimes just one or the other. There is no way that I either squeezed or pressed the scroll button when this happened so it wasn't just an accident, and has happened far too many times now to be a one off.

Secondly - the cursor would jump to the other side of the screen for no reason - usually jumping to the left.

Finally (and I doubt this is a problem with the mouse, but with everything else playing up who knows?) working in cubase vertical scrolling works fine but all horizontal scrolling is inverted. It's like steering a boat with an outboard, but less intuitive. There are no options within Cubase to alter this either. that I can see.

Anyone had the same problems or do I have to take this thing back to the store?

Thanks

Zim

OCOTILLO

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 25, 2005
Houston, TX
Zim Bargo said:
I haven't had that problem but something even more annoying started happening over the weekend.

Firstly - it would suddenly initiate both expose and dashboard - often simultaneously but sometimes just one or the other. There is no way that I either squeezed or pressed the scroll button when this happened so it wasn't just an accident, and has happened far too many times now to be a one off.

Secondly - the cursor would jump to the other side of the screen for no reason - usually jumping to the left.

Finally (and I doubt this is a problem with the mouse, but with everything else playing up who knows?) working in cubase vertical scrolling works fine but all horizontal scrolling is inverted. It's like steering a boat with an outboard, but less intuitive. There are no options within Cubase to alter this either. that I can see.

Anyone had the same problems or do I have to take this thing back to the store?

Thanks

Zim
I have occasionally had the jumping cursor problem. I have no idea why it happens. So far it has not occurred often enough to get on my nerves. It has to be a mouse (or mouse firmware problem) since my one button BT mouse never did it.

ohcrap

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2005
Anyone want to trade their Mighty Mouse for an Apple BT Mouse? Paid $60 for it, just like brand new, works perfectly, no cosmetic faults whatsoever.. PM me!

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
I have observed the jumping cursor problem a few times when using a "smooth" mouse mat. When using the less smooth type, it works without any problems at all.

roustk

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2006
mynameisjesse said:
i JUST had this problem yesterday. i was about to take it to the apple store but then i decided to just push on it really hard. yep it fixed it for me too(i couldnt scroll upwards). but then a few hours later i couldnt scroll down, so i tried again. at first the pushing hard didnt work but eventually it did. it felt like something was stuck inside there, a woodchip i think, and pushing it hard simply pushes it out.

Thank you for the idea! Even though it didn't work for me but it gave me another idea. I used "Dust-Off" -- compressed gas duster to blow into the gap between the ball and the edge of the hole and it worked!

macit

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2006
Austin, TX
I just had the same problem and googled it:: I should have expected the MacRumors forums to be one of the first hits :rolleyes: I tired the pressing hard thing and it didn't work...

I took a more physical approach to the problem and took a thin paper clip to the ball of the mouse....

I would not recommend it because obviously there's something senstive under there but it worked for me! :p

skiguy320@gmail

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2006
I already posted this on another topic, sorry to anyone who is annoyed by the double post. Could someone email me the driver for the BT mighty mouse, i lost my CD?

thanks,
michael

goborobo

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2006
Thanks for the Tip

Thanks for saving me from having to take this mouse apart, read tech articles etc. One firm push solved the problem.

As for AmigoMac: If ever there was a misnamed user he has it. Amigo? Hey Amigo, get friendly and SHUT UP when people are offering helpful advice or do you want to show the rest of us how knowledgeable you are by dissing another member? Think before you yap chap.

Thanks again Ocotillo. Is Hawaii the correct guess?
:)

alibabacamelman

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2006
mighty mouse scrolling problem

The scroll mechanism suffers from the ingress of debris, which cannot be removed without disassemblying the mouse - a rather tricky problem as it is sealed top to bottom. If you wish to have your mouse made good as new again, you can visit http://apple.nuget.net for more information.
Hoping we can tempt you to use our services!

coniak

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2006
Don't buy it

The scroll mechanism suffers from the ingress of debris, which cannot be removed without disassemblying the mouse - a rather tricky problem as it is sealed top to bottom. If you wish to have your mouse made good as new again, you can visit http://apple.nuget.net for more information.
Hoping we can tempt you to use our services!

20 euros to have my mouse ball cleaned?! Thanks but no thanks!!! My ball was very very dirty. I tried cleaning it the way shown by Apple Support with no success for a while. Basically if doesn't work you just have to rub that ball harder and for a longer time. A good idea is to clean it whilst connected and with a scrollable page open. Once the vertical scrolling starts coming back keep going for a while. My mouse was warm verging on hot when i finished cleaning it! 20 euros to rub a mouse ball with a cloth, you must be kidding!:p

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Disconnect the mouse, then use dry unwaxed paper to push the ball in and roll it in all directions. Kitchen roll is perfect for the job. You'll see blobs of grease start to break off. Wipe these away with the paper to make sure they don't go back down the hole. Do this in all directions for a few minutes until the mouse ball feels rough (You should then remember this is how it felt in the beginning before you got your greasy mitts on it :) ). Repeat if necessary. Now when you move the mouse ball normally, you should hear the clicking noise to show it's working correctly with the rollers. Plug it back in and the scroll action should work again.

Remember, dry unwaxed paper. Don't use a moist cloth as Apple suggests.

alibabacamelman

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2006
mighty mouse scroll problem

Sorry to disappoint you blowers and suckers - the problem is an internal one and no long term solution can be obtained except by open-mouse surgery. I have suggested to Apple that they ought to make the mouse openable for routine cleaning and, perhaps, they might do that - it would only need a snap-on ring to hold the parts together. It is a mighty mouse which can suffer from 'appendicitis' affecting, not just the ball, but the cogwheels running on it.

trapperjohn117

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2006
Sorry to disappoint you blowers and suckers - the problem is an internal one and no long term solution can be obtained except by open-mouse surgery. I have suggested to Apple that they ought to make the mouse openable for routine cleaning and, perhaps, they might do that - it would only need a snap-on ring to hold the parts together. It is a mighty mouse which can suffer from 'appendicitis' affecting, not just the ball, but the cogwheels running on it.

yep, only way to really fix it, the main problem with that though is that the magnetic rollers are insanly small, and i lost one of them, rendering my scroll wheel useless. i made a thread about said lost roller a few days ago, i just went out and bought a new one after i couldnt find the roller. those things do get really dirty though, and there kind of hard to reseat once you take them out of there place's, if apple would have to redesign the mouse to make it actually service able to the "average" user.

edit: heres the guide i followed the first time i took the thing apart, you can see the rollers and how dirty they get.
http://web.mac.com/karelgil/iWeb/MacWebSite/MightyMEng.html

BengalDuck

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2006
I have this problem ALL THE TIME. I'm thinking about taking sand paper to the little ball.

Are the wireless ones any better? I'd like to get a wireless MM but if the ball still F's up I might not.

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
I have this problem ALL THE TIME. I'm thinking about taking sand paper to the little ball.

Are the wireless ones any better? I'd like to get a wireless MM but if the ball still F's up I might not.

I have the wireless one, and after 3 weeks i couldn't scroll up and down..
I reported it to Apple who sent out of a replacement, but in the meantime I tried what one of the forum members said, which was to press hard on the scroll wheel and force it forward/backward.. and by magic.. it all worked again!!

Still, Apple had already sent me the new replacement MM, so I just used that and sent the faulty one that I got to work again, back :)

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey
I have the wireless one, and after 3 weeks i couldn't scroll up and down..
I reported it to Apple who sent out of a replacement, but in the meantime I tried what one of the forum members said, which was to press hard on the scroll wheel and force it forward/backward.. and by magic.. it all worked again!!

Still, Apple had already sent me the new replacement MM, so I just used that and sent the faulty one that I got to work again, back :)

SIX DAYS on my replacement mighty mouse, and I couldn't scroll up. I thought the bluetooth model would fix this, but apparently it hasn't. I rubbed it furiously, and it temporarily fixed it, but I'm sure I'll have the problem again.

This product's scroll ball makes it absolutely rubbish, I'm sorry. Didn't they do any testing on it? I'm an obsessed clean freak, and my fingers are never greasy, or really naturally oily for that matter. This shouldn't be happening.

alibabacamelman

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2006
stop scratching your balls

It's time people stopped scratching their balls and started to penetrate directly by writing to Apple at 1 Infinitity Way, Cupertino or email Steve. This is a ball-breaking issue in which one little smutty ball should not become a source of annoyance and a reason to give up on this uniquely agile mouse and return to the Microsoft monster.
It is simply that the ball must be held under a retractable disk of about 16mm diameter similar to those used to hold in the balls of pre-optic mice so that it can be serviced regularly.
Would you buy a car that hadn't got a window washer - not unless you wanted to keep it in a sterile garage or, perhaps, from a used car salesman, similarly Apple must be let know that our mice live in the real filthy world and should be designed to take fair wear and tear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.