Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
EE7912D5-E5CB-46A0-8368-740B61777A05-19987-000011D0CCCA2043_zps1d3891c5.jpg

iPad mini, display is all weird.
I'm assuming it's just a bad LCD?

Been dropped, did this. :( Was in a case when dropped, so I'm surprised.
You can see that the left side of the ipad bows out a tiny bit, looks like there's a clip in there?

Never took one of these apart before, not sure if it's actually bowed or if it's just holding itself bent like that with an internal clip.

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
Bad GPU as opposed to screen, but that needs to go back to Apple, not a job you can do I'm afraid as posted above...hopefully you have AppleCare?

I'm sure that /it/ has AppleCare, it was pretty much brand new.
I didn't buy this brand new, by the way, I bought it like this.

I don't think Apple would be willing to help me since they can see the side of the screen is bent a little?
Other than that, it's in mint condition.. Is the metal actually bowed though? Or is that just some kind of clip inside holding it outward? Just a strange way for it to bow I would think.

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
Well, if Apple won't replace this under a warranty, does anybody know how much they would charge to repair it?

I'll talk to them about it shortly, just looking for some insight possibly.
Could this have been caused by a user error somehow? Or is this a hardware defect?
I mean, could this have happened from a drop? I can't imagine the GPU being destroyed and the screen doesn't even crack..

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
Well, if Apple won't replace this under a warranty, does anybody know how much they would charge to repair it?

I'll talk to them about it shortly, just looking for some insight possibly.
Could this have been caused by a user error somehow? Or is this a hardware defect?
I mean, could this have happened from a drop? I can't imagine the GPU being destroyed and the screen doesn't even crack..

Hardware defect or user error? Hmm. You said you dropped it so not sure. :p
And maybe it's my eyes but looks like there is a crack above the home button?

You can get an out of warranty replacement for about half the retail price if I'm not mistaken.

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
Hardware defect or user error? Hmm. You said you dropped it so not sure. :p
And maybe it's my eyes but looks like there is a crack above the home button?

You can get an out of warranty replacement for about half the retail price if I'm not mistaken.

Nope, no cracks! The screen and everything cosmetically is mint, other than the obvious graphic error of the screen. The touch still works and everything.

I've just never heard of a GPU going kaput due to a fall or something, a gpu breaking and the glass screen doesn't even crack, so weird.

Out of warranty replacement would be around 150-200 or so then, right? Hmm..

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
Nope, no cracks! The screen and everything cosmetically is mint, other than the obvious graphic error of the screen. The touch still works and everything.

I've just never heard of a GPU going kaput due to a fall or something, a gpu breaking and the glass screen doesn't even crack, so weird.

Out of warranty replacement would be around 150-200 or so then, right? Hmm..

Well it does look that way from your pic. Any number of things could have happened. Maybe it's simply the video cable that got detached or for worse the logic board itself got damaged. Only one way to find out...

Take it to the Apple store to get it checked and if it can't be fixed, you can get a replacement OOW.

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
Well it does look that way from your pic. Any number of things could have happened. Maybe it's simply the video cable that got detached or for worse the logic board itself got damaged. Only one way to find out...

Take it to the Apple store to get it checked and if it can't be fixed, you can get a replacement OOW.

I can just replace the LCD myself honestly, I just didn't want to order any parts without having confirmed it was probably the LCD, but then some people said the GPU is the problem. Hmm..

I wonder if I can get this digitizer off without breaking it, man I hate working on iPads.

Apple Techs

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2012
Phoenix, Az
I can just replace the LCD myself honestly, I just didn't want to order any parts without having confirmed it was probably the LCD, but then some people said the GPU is the problem. Hmm..

I wonder if I can get this digitizer off without breaking it, man I hate working on iPads.

Pulling the digi off is doable just need to go really slow and lots of heat I run my reflow station at about 400 degrees C to pull off ipad digis (without breaking them) which is excessive but with the lcd being toasted anyways you don't have to worry about burning up the lcd slow and steady wins the race on this one if you feel pressure stop and reheat that area and continue. Also if you have a part of the digi that is pushing up or creating a lot of pressure while you have your tool inserted it is best to back off before you give it more heat just so you don't crack it. You should be able to do it...as far as the digi the only ones I have found need solder work on the ribbon cable to work but the ipad mini lcds are out and running around $60 from my sources....

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
Pulling the digi off is doable just need to go really slow and lots of heat I run my reflow station at about 400 degrees C to pull off ipad digis (without breaking them) which is excessive but with the lcd being toasted anyways you don't have to worry about burning up the lcd slow and steady wins the race on this one if you feel pressure stop and reheat that area and continue. Also if you have a part of the digi that is pushing up or creating a lot of pressure while you have your tool inserted it is best to back off before you give it more heat just so you don't crack it. You should be able to do it...as far as the digi the only ones I have found need solder work on the ribbon cable to work but the ipad mini lcds are out and running around $60 from my sources....

Looks like I'll be replacing the LCD then I guess.
Two questions:

1.) What is your source? The lowest I've seen online is around 100.. And from China

2.) Is the Mini built anything like the 2? In the Verizon model, where is the antenna cable? It's not on the border of the screen again, is it?

Apple Techs

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2012
Phoenix, Az
Looks like I'll be replacing the LCD then I guess.
Two questions:

1.) What is your source? The lowest I've seen online is around 100.. And from China

2.) Is the Mini built anything like the 2? In the Verizon model, where is the antenna cable? It's not on the border of the screen again, is it?

I can get original OEM LCD for around $60 with shipping if you PM me I can give you the contact info to order it shipping time through these folks is usually 3-5days after order has been processed

yes on number 2 antenna cable is towards the top the same as the other ipads

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.