Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Feb 20, 2013, 03:04 PM   #51
strauss884
macrumors member

This drive has been reading and transferring to my imac great, but haven't been able to write to it yet.
strauss884 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 07:42 PM   #52
rdsatkaycee
macrumors newbie

lg burner

fyi,I am not a mac user just wanted to add info which may or may not help. I am on my fourth unit on this. I want it to work so badly, best buy is close, and they're still returning them to me. I am having the same problem VERY erratic behavior. Depends on the time of day. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't LG tech service is totally worthless. they said the problem was because I was using the same drive as the destination drive, then said software, then said diskcs, etc. Wish I could figure it out!?!?!?!
rdsatkaycee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 04:30 PM   #53
barokt
macrumors newbie

i'm really curious about Blu-Ray burning times with this drives.
The portable drives are all of them is 6X and also empty 25GB Blu-Ray discs
support 6X speed.
But specially LG BE14NU40 BR burning speed is 14X,
BR discs top speed are 6X am i wrong?
Then why am i gonna buy this $150 LG instead of other 80$-100$ portable ones.
If anyone help me is this situation i'm really appreciated.
Also i cannot find any document or spec sheet about 25GB BR disc burning times. Like LG BE14NU40: 25GB=....min.
barokt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 08:50 PM   #54
rdsatkaycee
macrumors newbie

update

fyi---making inroads. tonight data transferr 4 blu ray movies one after another using windows file explorer to transfer the movies by just drag and copy. EACHtime there was failure early on using usb 3 cable supplied with burner. each time back to back switched to usb 2 cable and beango, file transfer success!!! Seems to be big time communication problem using the usb 3 cable!!!!
rdsatkaycee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 07:13 PM   #55
boogieman
macrumors regular

I am interested in this drive for my 2012 imac. Would you recommend it or not? I just sent back the asus usb 3.0 couldnt get it to stay reliable for burns.
Ipad HD 64Ggb Verizon ....64gb Iphone 5 Verizon
boogieman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 02:31 PM   #56
boogieman
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogieman View Post
I am interested in this drive for my 2012 imac. Would you recommend it or not? I just sent back the asus usb 3.0 couldnt get it to stay reliable for burns.
Well to answer my own question.... I picked one up today at Worst Buy brought it home and have burnt several blu ray movies and data along with some dvd and cd's and not one coaster.. I have this attached to a 2012 Imac I7.
Ipad HD 64Ggb Verizon ....64gb Iphone 5 Verizon
boogieman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 01:50 AM   #57
ptesone
macrumors newbie

I got this same BR burner from BB.
I have a 2011 iMac. (USB2) Running ML 10.8.3
I am able to play Blu Ray movies fine.
I am able to burn Blu Ray Data/Movie's fine.
(I used Simply Burns for my main burning app)
-and Final Cut X for making a Blu Ray disc projects - which all burnt well.
using Verbatim BD-R 6X discs.

The only problem is when I try burning a DVD - sometimes it starts but mostly it just says: "starting burn. . ." -and that's all it does.
I've tried Everything (but Disk Utility) to burn DVD's, no biggie tho since I got it to burn Blu Ray's not DVD's, I can use internal for that. . .

LG don't know what they're talking about- it's totally compatible with mac's IMHO
ptesone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2013, 02:58 PM   #58
ColdZero
macrumors regular

Just wanted to chime in. Switching from the included usb3 cable to a regular usb2 cable all my problems went away. Before the switch I couldn't read a full bluray or install windows in bootcamp. Haven't tried another usb3 cable yet.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 06:33 PM   #59
ptesone
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdZero View Post
Just wanted to chime in. Switching from the included usb3 cable to a regular usb2 cable all my problems went away. Before the switch I couldn't read a full bluray or install windows in bootcamp. Haven't tried another usb3 cable yet.
Hey- I didn't know you could use a USB 2 cable on a USB 3 port- I'll have to give that a shot, thx for the info!

ptesone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 05:45 PM   #60
bluesteel
macrumors 6502

just picked up an LG BE14NU40 from best buy on sale for ripping my blu-ray movies for AppleTV3 playback. every time i try and rip with MakeMKV or Pavtube Blu-ray Ripper, i get errors, crashing, etc. didn't understand why until i read this thread. from what i understand here, its the USB 3.0 connection and compatibility issues with OSX. haven't tried a USB 2.0 cable. i'll be returning this nice looking unit back to best buy. sucks...i really wanted this slick BE14NU40 to work :-)

Early 2013 15" MacBook Pro Retina 2.8GHz/16GB/768GB - 27" Cinema Display - iPad 4 64GB wifi+4g - iPhone 5 64GB - AppleTV 3 - AirPort Extreme
bluesteel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 09:47 PM   #61
M.D. Sullivan
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to M.D. Sullivan
Mechanical problems with LG BE14NU40, normal?

I have a question about the BE14NU40. I purchased it last evening to use with my new 27" and it seemed to work ok.

My problems are mechanical not performance.

I burned a couple of CD's with no problem. I was tired and didn't pay much attention to the details. It seems to me that I was able open and close the drive door with Keyboard eject key but know I'm not sure.

Tonight I installed Mac Blueray and I noticed that I'm not able to eject the disk after playing it. Dragging the disk to the trash does not eject it and neither does pressing the eject button on the BE14NU40. I have to power the drive off and on to eject.

Is this one of the problems the rest of you are having? Is the drive supposed to open and close with keyboard disk eject?

Thanks for any advise.
M.D. Sullivan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 05:11 PM   #62
bluesteel
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.D. Sullivan View Post
I have a question about the BE14NU40. I purchased it last evening to use with my new 27" and it seemed to work ok.

Is this one of the problems the rest of you are having? Is the drive supposed to open and close with keyboard disk eject?

Thanks for any advise.
when i owned the BE14NU40, i was not able to eject any disc from my mac...instead i had to eject directly from the drive's eject button. since the drive isn't officially supported under OSX, i'm not so sure the mac is suppose to be capable of ejecting a disc inside the drive.

are you using the drive with USB 2.0 on a USB 2.0 mac? before i returned mine, i was able to play blu-ray movies just fine with the Mac Blu-ray Player, but i ran into issues when trying to rip my blu-ray movies with MakeMKV and Pavtube Blu-ray Ripper.

Early 2013 15" MacBook Pro Retina 2.8GHz/16GB/768GB - 27" Cinema Display - iPad 4 64GB wifi+4g - iPhone 5 64GB - AppleTV 3 - AirPort Extreme
bluesteel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2013, 07:05 AM   #63
Negritude
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdZero View Post
Interesting. That sounds just like the infamous problem with Toshiba portable drives:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3510032?start=0
Negritude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 09:39 PM   #64
btbrossard
macrumors 6502a

As an update - the LG BE14NU40 has worked great for me so far (I've had it for several months now).

I use it with my iMac (specs below) and haven't had any problems. I've ripped all of my blu ray discs into iTunes with it (via Make MKV) and burned at least 10 blu ray discs for backups of photos. The only complaint I would have is that the drive is pretty loud when burning blu rays.

I don't think I've ever tried using the eject key on the keyboard, but I don't have any problems ejecting the disc by dragging it to the trash in the finder.
Old May 15, 2013, 08:46 PM   #65
MstrPBK
macrumors newbie

I am looking at acquiring this drive but a single question lingers. I know full well that Apple does not support the playing Blu-ray disks/movies natively - so what third party players do you people use? Does the "Mac Blu-Ray Player" driver work with the LG BE14NU40?

MstrPBK
St. Paul, MN USA
MstrPBK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 06:03 AM   #66
SELlewellyn
macrumors newbie

Yes tis drive works with mac i have one
SELlewellyn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2013, 12:22 AM   #67
stormcooper
macrumors newbie

I purchased this LG BE14 and had the same issues with failed rips, crashing plays, and dismounting. I tried the easiest recommended solution first. After downgrading the supplied USB 3.0 cable with a USB 2.0 cable I already had... All the problems vanished, and it works fine now. The supplied cable is crap. Ditch it.
stormcooper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2013, 03:58 PM   #68
Finnatic
macrumors newbie

2012 27" iMac 3.4 gHz / 16 gig / 3 TB Fusion drive user also having the disconnect issues in both OS X and Windows 8 Bootcamp. Also downgraded to USB 2.0 and no more issues, sad but true. I am so glad that I visited this forum.

Thank you everyone.
Finnatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 09:38 PM   #69
retired shutter
macrumors newbie

Burning with BE14NU40

Connect drive as in diagram, do not install software from disk supplied. Download "Quick Blue-ray Creator" from Apple store (costs 20 dollars). Follow instructions of this software to move files to window of software. I used it with MOV files. The time to convert and burn is long, but it works and the picture quality is great. Unless you have software installed to watch Blue-ray, you need to put the finished disk into a Blue-ray player and watch on TV or Video-Projector. Good Luck!
retired shutter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2013, 10:20 PM   #70
LuckyDuck69
macrumors newbie

This looks promising:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/MSMXBW4.0TB7/

EDIT: nevermind... that drive is SLOW.

This one is faster but lacks the storage option:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MR3F8BDSD16S/
LuckyDuck69 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2013, 09:48 AM   #71
g4cube
macrumors 6502a

Here is the LaCie, same price and bundle as OWC, but also supports the 100GB BD-XL media and has 3-year warranty.

http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?id=10596
g4cube is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals