Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lark.Landon

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
So Cal
All I find online are negative articles and financial blogs spurred by this news of greatly increased Mac sales.

They say (to summarize): But Mac sales down year to year! But iPad mini eating into pc sales! But competition is gonna destroy iPad sales! But that's only US market!

I say (to be slightly vulgar): Over 30% rise in Mac sales bitches!

May Apple sell ever more and may all of you manipulating douchey follower analysts and fund managers lose your shorts. Meaning your short sales.

And as I type that AAPL declines another 10% on its roller coaster plunge to $130/share.

A bit exaggerated don't you think?

SAdProZ

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
See, I'd turn that around. If you only use optical media once in a while, which I think is the case for most of us, the small hit to utility is worth the savings on weight/size on a laptop. But with a desktop, who cares if it's a little heavier/larger? It's not going anywhere. The hit to utility, however small, is to gain... What exactly?

I mentioned this before, but the future (10-50 years from now) will be one where our computer is simply displays (the inner components super flat, and all our media is in the cloud. This is just one step of many we've been taking in that direction. At some stage between now and then the utility you speak of will be non-essential. When will you consider it that point in time. I think some people say it's today.

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012
I think mac's are the only computers increasing market share every quarter compared to everyone else.

I read the article. It didn't say anything about Apple increasing market share. Increasing market share means new customers who did not previously own a Mac bought a Mac for the first time. Could it be the increase sales compared to last year are due to the fact that a great many buyers (previous owners) waited for the new Macs instead of buying a 2011 last year? If that is the case it could mean market share hasn't changed because customers are replacing their older Macs.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
I mentioned this before, but the future (10-50 years from now) will be one where our computer is simply displays (the inner components super flat, and all our media is in the cloud. This is just one step of many we've been taking in that direction. At some stage between now and then the utility you speak of will be non-essential. When will you consider it that point in time. I think some people say it's today.

Wouldn't be a problem if carriers decide to do the right thing and offer unlimited data again or if they won't do it, the government should make them.

Then cloud storage would be great

montycat

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2007
Florida
Three people I work with just bought their first Mac computers and they got the new iMacs. :D and guess why? Because of their positive iPhone experience!

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I'm not surprised. Demand is high for the new iMacs. A lot of people on MacRumors want to complain that Apple isn't meeting their current 'buying criteria' of more power but the truth of the matter is Apple Inc. is filled with smart minds that know society changes, and so does 'buying criteria.'

Not only are iMac's more powerful, but they are thinner, lighter, simpler and more essential—which is what society wants in a desktop machine going forward. Our buying criteria is more influenced by laptops and tablets than anything else.

I talk about buying criteria in my latest podcast. :) :apple: if you want to learn about it and how businesses use it as an innovation strategy.

Really?

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
I like to back up on a DVD and rip DVDs. I also use Firewire a lot. I think it was a bad move to remove the drive and Firewire.

FireWire, yes. That was useful. DVD drives are useless to most people though. Why not back up to an HDD or to the "cloud"?

----------

AAPL's decline in price today is consistent with the S&P, Dow, and NASDAQ.

It most certainly is NOT. Look at the graphs together. S&P is at a peak, AAPL at a trough (or at least I hope it's a trough).

Thunderbird

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2005
It seems most people missed this part:

It remains to be seen if the strong sales will hold up for the remainder of the quarter, and thus Piper Jaffray is maintaining its estimate of a 5% year-over-year decline for the full quarter when global sales are considered.
Ths surge is likely a temporary blip. Real year over year sales are expected to fall.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
If.....

the quality problems and yield of the new laminated screens improve, I can see a strong quarter of Mac sales.

:):apple:

SAdProZ

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005

Yes really. Like I said twice now, at the moment there is a mix of needs but it doesn't take a genius visionary to know that in the future (10-50 years from now) thin/light/display-like computers will be the norm. It will be a standard. And if a company released a computer with any thickness/bulge 50 years from now we'd all be complaining.

Moving forward, all consumer computers will start slimming (gamer/workstations being the last to slim of course but even they will). Nobody here uses a computer the size of a room, but of course, the first computers took up an entire room.

SAdProZ

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
So this is what society wants going forward? Since when did he speak for society? :rolleyes:

I'm making an observation. I have eyes and I read. I'm not saying you need a thinner, lighter, more elegant computer. Maybe you love building your own, love all the buttons and lights. I don't know what your criteria is when buying computers. There are so many variations. But what I'm speaking of is standards. The standards of 'buying criteria' flow. And they are flowing towards thin, light displays. If you think innovation is moving towards ADDING more FireWire ports and DVD drives then we can end this conversation now. Clearly Thunderbolt was invented to eliminate the need for FireWire, for example. It's a strategy we've known about for awhile. Same goes for DVD drives. If I'm wrong then please explain Apple's strategy to me. I'm honestly all ears.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
New welding process is reportedly complex, and there is also the problem with yields, so the cost of removing the super drive has most likely been offset and then some at the manufacturing level, which of course would be temporary until these processes have become more streamlined and ironed out. I expect prices for iMacs to drop back to traditional pricing in time.

Please tell me you are being sarcastic.

The consumer should not be paying the price for Apple introducing a technology that wasn't even ready for small scale roll-out, let alone mass production.

Production for a welded screen which means no matter how small the problem the user cannot fix it. It has to go back to Apple, who will no doubt rip you a new one for a repair when out of warranty.

So your happy to to be an Apple guinea pig?

You seriously think Apple will drop prices? Apple knows people will continue to buy what they churn out, regardless of value for money. Current iMac being the best example.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I ordered the day after they went on sale (Dec 1st) and it took 2 months to arrive but I love my new 27", the i7 and Fusion is a huge leap from my G5 tower. It does everything I want, is quitter and runs cooler than the G5.

Once they get the production sorted I can see the total sales rising over last quarter.

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
While depressing if you bought AAPL over 700, this creates an opportunity to buy in for long-term holdings - especially now that it is an income generating stock.

Funny thing! Since this PR, AAPL is actually down even more! Total disconnect from reality haha

Umm, except for the fact that Apple's explosion and huge success over the past 3 years has had almost nothing to do with the iMac anyway, and everything to do with the iPad and iPhone ... the latter of which is starting to look like it's floundering compared to the competition.

The iMac is a piddly part of Apple's financial success.

Besides, it's more the job of stock analysts to try to predict the FUTURE than to just react to what's going on TODAY. Now, it may turn out the investors who are currently bearish on Apple are wrong, but they certainly have legitimate reason to be concerned about the future growth and profit margins of Apple, despite all crowing about these iMac figures.

And, of course these iMacs are selling well (at the moment): They're new (after a year and half of waiting!!!), and they're the ONLY option right now for anyone who wants a desktop mac. Let's just see where we are in a year from now. So, for the time being, get off your high horse about how 'stupid' the stock investors are.

----------

I ordered the day after they went on sale (Dec 1st) and it took 2 months to arrive but I love my new 27", the i7 and Fusion is a huge leap from my G5 tower. It does everything I want, is quitter and runs cooler than the G5.

Once they get the production sorted I can see the total sales rising over last quarter.

An 11 inch macbook air would have been a 'huge leap' from your G5 at this point, lol.

Last edited:

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Love my (relatively) new 21.5" iMac late-2012! :) Absolutely best Christmas present I gave to myself in a long time. And mine arrived well in time before Christmas 2012.

I do sympathize with the others who ordered the 27" iMac, where most of them didn't ship until January 2013.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
An 11 inch macbook air would have been a 'huge leap' from your G5 at this point, lol.

Probably

DVD - not missing it, I've needed it for installing Office and iLife but all I did was share the DVD in my G5 tower (which I replaced last year myself) installed the software and it worked just fine. If I need DVD or BluRay I'll get and external one later. The one HUGE upside to no internal DVD is if it breaks (which seems to happen a lot if you read the forums) just take it back and if it's under warranty then get a new one, no need to pay $100s to have a tech install a new one.

As for backing up, I have a 2Tb Seagate Backup Plus HDD and Time Machine, And a 2nd HDD with CCC to do weekly backups. If I need to I'll put specific files/work folders onto a thumb drive, just got a 32Gb SanDisk for $20 on eBay, 8 times the capacity of most DVDs and it's the micro one, my biggest problem is it's so small I could easily loose it :lol:

Who uses DVD to backup anymore?

agreed.. The only time I've used mine is to burn CD's for my gf's car, who will be upgrading her vehicle soon.

Finally upgraded my car stereo from tape to CD with the holiday sales but it does come with USB to connect my iPhone and BT so while I may never use the CD player I'll be set with USB.

If they remove the dvd drive then logically speaking the price should have gone down and not up.

Given the DVD probably costs Apple $10-$20 wholesale I'm not sure if a price cut was needed. But here in Australia the top 27" actually went down by $100 from the 2011 model, which more than pays for their DVD SuperDrive.

Last edited:

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I'm making an observation. I have eyes and I read. I'm not saying you need a thinner, lighter, more elegant computer. Maybe you love building your own, love all the buttons and lights. I don't know what your criteria is when buying computers. There are so many variations. But what I'm speaking of is standards. The standards of 'buying criteria' flow. And they are flowing towards thin, light displays. If you think innovation is moving towards ADDING more FireWire ports and DVD drives then we can end this conversation now. Clearly Thunderbolt was invented to eliminate the need for FireWire, for example. It's a strategy we've known about for awhile. Same goes for DVD drives. If I'm wrong then please explain Apple's strategy to me. I'm honestly all ears.

"Society" or the consumer didn't ask for a thinner desktop. That is Apples style. Since when do they cater to what the consumer wanted? Do you know anyone who actually looked at their monitor and said, "I wish it was thinner"? How much less space does it take up on a desk than it did before?

I don't think taking things away and making a desktop top run hotter solely for the sake of aesthetics is innovating. The consumer didn't say optical media is dead, we don't want it. Apple did. The consumer didn't say who needs BluRay, Apple did. It's too early to tell about Thunderbolt, but it could be the next Firewire.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing Apple. I'm just saying that they lead the consumer where they want the consumer to go. They convince the consumer that is what they want. And style and form has a lot to do with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.