Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2011
Hey guys,

So I've been seriously considering cancelling my Sprint contract and using my 4s as a pre-paid phone on Straight Talk, but been hearing horrible reviews about their data usage policy and the danger of loosing your number scared me off. Besides, now their AT&T cards are no longer being sold.

So my next choice was Simple Mobile. $40 for an unlimited plan, but the problem is obviously the fact that they are using T-Mobile (read: Edge speed in 80% of the country). So wasn't too happy.

I never thought of Net10 as a serious contender, but over the weekend discovered a couple of things:
1. They use AT&T and T-Mobile (you can get AT&T sim cards on ebay for $4).
2. They have a variety of plans which come handy, so for example, I know I will be out of the country for three weeks, I can switch down to a $15 per month 200 minute plan, just to retain the number while out -- Always hated paying $90 for a month I barely used the phone in).
3. They have $50 unlimited plan ($45 if you choose auto-rechage).
4. (BEST PART): Starting 3/1/2013, they are going to impose a HARD CAP on their AT&T users at 1.5 GB, and they won't terminate your number if you go over like straight talk or charge you $15 per GB like AT&T, it will simply stop until next month. 1.5 GB seems reasonable.

Anyone used Net10 before? Any advice?

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
Hey guys,

So I've been seriously considering cancelling my Sprint contract and using my 4s as a pre-paid phone on Straight Talk, but been hearing horrible reviews about their data usage policy and the danger of loosing your number scared me off. Besides, now their AT&T cards are no longer being sold.

So my next choice was Simple Mobile. $40 for an unlimited plan, but the problem is obviously the fact that they are using T-Mobile (read: Edge speed in 80% of the country). So wasn't too happy.

I never thought of Net10 as a serious contender, but over the weekend discovered a couple of things:
1. They use AT&T and T-Mobile (you can get AT&T sim cards on ebay for $4).
2. They have a variety of plans which come handy, so for example, I know I will be out of the country for three weeks, I can switch down to a $15 per month 200 minute plan, just to retain the number while out -- Always hated paying $90 for a month I barely used the phone in).
3. They have $50 unlimited plan ($45 if you choose auto-rechage).
4. (BEST PART): Starting 3/1/2013, they are going to impose a HARD CAP on their AT&T users at 1.5 GB, and they won't terminate your number if you go over like straight talk or charge you $15 per GB like AT&T, it will simply stop until next month. 1.5 GB seems reasonable.

Anyone used Net10 before? Any advice?

Net 10 is the same company as Straight Talk. Your Sprint 4S SIM slot can't be unlocked to use US GSM carriers. Sprint will only unlock for international use. You will need to bring your own GSM phone to use either Net 10 or Straight Talk. You can buy the Straight Talk iPhone 4S or 5 at WalMart that piggybacks on Verizon's network.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Sell the Sprint 4S on cragislist and pickup another one because Sprint won't unlock it for use on US GSM carriers.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2011
Sell the Sprint 4S on cragislist and pickup another one because Sprint won't unlock it for use on US GSM carriers.

Two words: GPP SIM :D -- Ah-mazzing! I just tried it. Now my Sprint works with any carrier :). Tried my friend t-mobile SIM. No jailbreak!

ml.sail1

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2010
Pittsburgh
I would just like to add that the BYOD sim cards ONLY work with the $50 ($45 auto refill) plans. You cannot use any other (read: 200 min pack or whatever) plan with those sim cards except for the unlimited plan.

I am speaking from my own personal experience, so just letting you know.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2011
I would just like to add that the BYOD sim cards ONLY work with the $50 ($45 auto refill) plans. You cannot use any other (read: 200 min pack or whatever) plan with those sim cards except for the unlimited plan.

I am speaking from my own personal experience, so just letting you know.

Cool, thanks! How is the service though?

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2011
Why dont you try straighttalk? Just $45 even not auto refill, they both have data cap, similar service

Straight talk no longer sells AT&T sims. Also, they don't cap service, they terminate service when users exceed a certain number (100 mb a day or 2gb a month), and you only get one warning

----------

I've never used Net10 , But i'm currently using my Sprint iPhone 4S with the GPP Sim on Straighttalk and I have yet to have any problems with the service.

Thanks for this. I am planning to break free on the 15th, already paid for this month with sprint and my termination fee decreases after the 15th

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
Net10 is a safe bet. I think Straight Talk is either going to follow Net10 with the 1.5GB cap or just cancel their BYOP SIM plan and send new customers to Net10 (since they're the same company).

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Net10 is a safe bet. I think Straight Talk is either going to follow Net10 with the 1.5GB cap or just cancel their BYOP SIM plan and send new customers to Net10 (since they're the same company).

I've noticed that ST is only selling T-mobile SIMs now, on their website and Walmart is sold out of ST SIMs, both regular and micro, that aren't T-mobile. Walmart is selling Net10 micro SIMs though and like you said, I think ST wants you to use the iPhone directly though them now and if you want to BYOD, they want you to use Net10.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2011
I've noticed that ST is only selling T-mobile SIMs now, on their website and Walmart is sold out of ST SIMs, both regular and micro, that aren't T-mobile. Walmart is selling Net10 micro SIMs though and like you said, I think ST wants you to use the iPhone directly though them now and if you want to BYOD, they want you to use Net10.

True, they are going on ebay for $70! That's crazy.

Speaking of Ebay, you can find Net10 and SIMPLE mobile SIMS and Micro SIMS for only $1 shipped, can't beat that

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Straight talk no longer sells AT&T sims. Also, they don't cap service, they terminate service when users exceed a certain number (100 mb a day or 2gb a month), and you only get one warning

----------

Thanks for this. I am planning to break free on the 15th, already paid for this month with sprint and my termination fee decreases after the 15th

You sure? I ordered my Straight Talk AT&T SIM just a month ago from Walmart.com

Also I think Net10 1.5GB hard cap...is not better than 2GB/Straight Talk...I think I would rather use my iPhone wisely and have 2GB/month than 1.5GB...the extra 500MB is just that much useful. Hopefully they hard cap it at 2GB in the near future or I will be moving over to one of T-Mobile MVNO's....

Last edited:

chadrob30

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2007
In front of my Mac.
I've been on Net10 for two months and so far so good. I am not thrilled about falling for the bait and switch regarding the "Unlimited everything" changing to 1.5 GB but I will deal with it. It's still better than the $100/month I was paying with Verizon. Great coverage in my area on iPhone 4S. I had to jailbreak it to install TetherMe to access the APN settings to get MMS to work, that was the only hiccup so far.

TheBigKing

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
PR
I've been on Net10 for two months and so far so good. I am not thrilled about falling for the bait and switch regarding the "Unlimited everything" changing to 1.5 GB but I will deal with it. It's still better than the $100/month I was paying with Verizon. Great coverage in my area on iPhone 4S. I had to jailbreak it to install TetherMe to access the APN settings to get MMS to work, that was the only hiccup so far.

What apn u use to get mms working ??

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2011
You sure? I ordered my Straight Talk AT&T SIM just a month ago from Walmart.com

Also I think Net10 1.5GB hard cap...is not better than 2GB/Straight Talk...I think I would rather use my iPhone wisely and have 2GB/month than 1.5GB...the extra 500MB is just that much useful. Hopefully they hard cap it at 2GB in the near future or I will be moving over to one of T-Mobile MVNO's....

Straight talk announced it on Jan 31st, you are lucky I guess!

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
straighttalk.com :confused:

Here is the link:
http://www.talkandroid.com/149593-straight-talk-no-longer-offering-att-compatible-sims/

Also walmart.com and straighttalk.com no longer offer AT&T as an option.

Net10 has a website just to clarify the 1.5GB data usage....thats what I asked about....

Also ya thats a downer that they are not selling AT&T Compatible sim cards.....sounds like I got lucky less than a month ago.....It kind of sucks because when the people running T-Mobile straight talk on iPhones travel between cities they will have only EDGE....I am glad I can use 3G/4G HSPA+ via AT&T for now on my Straight talk line.

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
Since Straight Talk still hasn't started selling AT&T SIMs again, going with Net10 is a good idea since they have AT&T SIMs for sale and have an official 1.5GB policy now.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Net 10 family plan is nice, 2 people auto refill $85 can't be beat. I'm on ST now but will probably switch over someday.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
The only issue I ever had with Net10 was the day I signed up I couldn't get data to work no matter what APN setting I tried. It was resolved easy enough by going to their support forum and private messaging with one of their people.

Other than that, I've never had a minute's trouble. There's really nothing to complain about.

Yeah, there's no LTE but I don't care. For less than $50/mo I get unlimited talk, text, and 1.5GB of data with the same network coverage and HSPA+ speeds as regular AT&T customers. As for MMS settings and whatnot, I've never messed with them. FaceTime over cellular and picture messaging with Messenger works, and that's good enough for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.