Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beeinformed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
Hi,

There are certain websites that I have visit that use tracking cookies such as "Tech Radar" for example.

Their website states that "We use cookies on this website. By using this site, you agree that we may store and access cookies on your device. Find out more and set your preferences here."

I am a little reticent about using this website as well as others that may store and access cookies on my iMac computer and Macbook Air notebook, since they may track other websites that I might visit.

Is there a way of bypassing the tracking cookies used on these websites and should I even be concerned about it? Thanks! :)

vmachiel

macrumors 68000
Feb 15, 2011
Holland
These cookies are tricky. As far as I know, and I'm no expert, the cookies that come from the website you are visiting are pretty much necessary to use that site (often). But as you said, third party cookies and trackers also find their way into your computer.

I installed a plugin called ghostery which shows and block all the third party trackers that come when visiting a site. It's available for safari and chrome

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States
Hi,

There are certain websites that I have visit that use tracking cookies such as "Tech Radar" for example.

Their website states that "We use cookies on this website. By using this site, you agree that we may store and access cookies on your device. Find out more and set your preferences here."

I am a little reticent about using this website as well as others that may store and access cookies on my iMac computer and Macbook Air notebook, since they may track other websites that I might visit.

Is there a way of bypassing the tracking cookies used on these websites and should I even be concerned about it? Thanks! :)

*MANY* websites use tracking cookies (especially Facebook, for example).

There are multiple add-ons that claim to block tracking cookies. I do believe Firefox and Safari have options in the preferences such as "Tell websites I do not want to be tracked" (but I'm not sure how effective they are).

vmachiel

macrumors 68000
Feb 15, 2011
Holland
*MANY* websites use tracking cookies (especially Facebook, for example).

There are multiple add-ons that claim to block tracking cookies. I do believe Firefox and Safari have options in the preferences such as "Tell websites I do not want to be tracked" (but I'm not sure how effective they are).

The do-not-track option can be legally ignored, it's simply a request from the user to the website

1934hotrod

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2013
Woodstock
These cookies are tricky. As far as I know, and I'm no expert, the cookies that come from the website you are visiting are pretty much necessary to use that site (often). But as you said, third party cookies and trackers also find their way into your computer.

I installed a plugin called ghostery which shows and block all the third party trackers that come when visiting a site. It's available for safari and chrome

vmachiel,

Nice one, ghostery I installed it's pretty cool I'd say. Looks like it knocks out a load of stuff. I will know more as I surf. But first blush looks good right off.

Thanks for the tip.

Cheers,
Greg

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
does this mean i am being tracked, or i am not being tracked?
upload_2018-8-19_7-59-38.png

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
First -- use a cookie manager to control your cookies.
The only one I know of is "Cookie".
There may be others -- perhaps someone will offer suggestions.

What happens if, when presented with one of those "cookie warnings", you just decline...?

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
i decline, block and clear cookies frequently,, was just wondering if these 2 sites are tracking me or they are blocked? as when the post office says they handle 4 million letters every December 9th, do the deliver or just handle them?
thanks for the reply, PHisherrman, you have great apple incite and helped many here!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.