Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:45 PM   #1
PatriotInvasion
macrumors 65816

Would Apple add HDMI-in to the upcoming Thunderbolt Display refresh?

So now that the latest MacBook Pro's have an HDMI-out, do you think Apple would consider adding HDMI-in to their display finally?

If someone theoretically wanted to run 3 TB Displays out of a rMBP, they wouldn't be able to without the 3rd display having an HDMI input (unless you can daisy-chain 3 TB Displays off of 1 TB connection to a rMBP).

Regardless, an HDMI equipped Thunderbolt Display would essentially become a TV because you would be able to connect a cable box or Playstatiion 3 without any added workarounds. Something tells me this is the main reason Apple WON'T add HDMI as to not take the fun out of a TV set that they may announce down the line. Thoughts?
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:11 PM   #2
cocacolakid
macrumors 65816

I can't see anyway this happens. All of the Macs have Thunderbolt (other than the old Mac Pro, which gets a refresh this summer).

It's called the Thunderbolt Display. Using HDMI defeats the purpose of the Thunderbolt connector, which runs data back and forth to the display and other Thunderbolt devices, along with Ethernet.

You can daisy chain 3 TB displays to a rMBP using a 3rd party dock. Not sure if that was the Belkin dock that is finally coming out, one of their competitors, or the Henge dock. I looked at quite a few of them in the last week and at least one shows 3 TB displays running off one MacBook, I think it was the rMBP.

UPDATE: I wanted to update that last paragraph, I'm wrong, it's the Henge Dock and it has 3 MDP outputs, so the 3 displays shown in the product page have to be Apple Cinema Displays, not TBD. http://hengedocks.com/order_horizontal_dock.php

Last edited by cocacolakid; Feb 15, 2013 at 07:29 PM.
cocacolakid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:21 PM   #3
PatriotInvasion
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocacolakid View Post
I can't see anyway this happens. All of the Macs have Thunderbolt (other than the old Mac Pro, which gets a refresh this summer).

It's called the Thunderbolt Display. Using HDMI defeats the purpose of the Thunderbolt connector, which runs data back and forth to the display and other Thunderbolt devices, along with Ethernet.

You can daisy chain 3 TB displays to a rMBP using a 3rd party dock. Not sure if that was the Belkin dock that is finally coming out, one of their competitors, or the Henge dock. I looked at quite a few of them in the last week and at least one shows 3 TB displays running off one MacBook, I think it was the rMBP.
I'm not talking about using HDMI as the main connection. I'm just talking about adding HDMI as an additional connection option on the back. Yes, it will allow PC's to connect to it too, but if PC users want to give Apple $1,000 for a display is that really a bad thing?
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:28 PM   #4
cocacolakid
macrumors 65816

It would be nice, but I can't see Apple doing it. Especially since the name of the product is Thunderbolt Display, and Apple is pushing the Thunderbolt connector, and it's basically an Apple exclusive (I know there is a PC version but it's basically not being used).
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:45 PM   #5
cocacolakid
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotInvasion View Post
... Yes, it will allow PC's to connect to it too, but if PC users want to give Apple $1,000 for a display is that really a bad thing?
Not a bad thing at all, but that's not Apple's intended market. Someone did post a link here a day or two ago for a PC motherboard that has Thunderbolt on it. The only drawback to it is Thunderbolt Display doesn't fully work unless you grab the drivers from Boot Camp (or online somewhere). Apple never released the TBD drivers individually for PC's. That kind of shows you their thinking.

I just bought a Thunderbolt Display last week and have to say that it's fantastic. And the speed of the Thunderbolt connector to external hard drives is insane.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:50 PM   #6
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocacolakid View Post
Not a bad thing at all, but that's not Apple's intended market. Someone did post a link here a day or two ago for a PC motherboard that has Thunderbolt on it. The only drawback to it is Thunderbolt Display doesn't fully work unless you grab the drivers from Boot Camp (or online somewhere). Apple never released the TBD drivers individually for PC's. That kind of shows you their thinking.

I just bought a Thunderbolt Display last week and have to say that it's fantastic. And the speed of the Thunderbolt connector to external hard drives is insane.
Indeed, to my knowledge, none of their Mac accessories have Windows drivers outside of Boot Camp. They have no interest in being a peripheral manufacturer for other computer makers.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:47 AM   #7
FreakinEurekan
macrumors 68030

Unlikely for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is that the HDMI output on Macs (at least my Mini, not sure about the rMBP) is limited to approx. 1920x1200 resolution - the TBD is 2560x1440.
FreakinEurekan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:03 AM   #8
Outrigger
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotInvasion View Post
So now that the latest MacBook Pro's have an HDMI-out, do you think Apple would consider adding HDMI-in to their display finally?
Never. Apple doesn't want the $1000 that PC users want to hand over.
Outrigger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:33 AM   #9
CWallace
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakinEurekan View Post
Unlikely for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is that the HDMI output on Macs (at least my Mini, not sure about the rMBP) is limited to approx. 1920x1200 resolution - the TBD is 2560x1440.
HDMI 1.3 can support 25601600 so it could drive an ATD at native resolutions.

That being said, the main benefit I could see for HDMI is being able to connect an external Blu-ray player, cable box or video game console to it and use it as an HD television. However, USD 1000 for a 27" HDTV is pretty extreme.
CWallace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:57 PM   #10
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Incidentally, Apple would also have to add physical controls to the TB display if they gave it HDMI input.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:13 PM   #11
NMF
macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't expect them too, but I never expected them to add HDMI to the rMBP either. I wouldn't be surprised either way at this point. I'd guess 50/50.

They'd be smart to add it, actually. The TB display is actually a really good value for what you get; I know some grognard neck-beards who would buy them to place PC games on if they could. Especially if the new model has the same reduced-glare glossy display as the 2012 iMac.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:04 AM   #12
lucasfer899
macrumors 6502

I too, personally feel as though there should be HDMI on the TBD.
It seems to me that apple wants this to be their only display, and if that's what they want, they should certainly add some kind of non-TB input, such as HDMI, at my desk, I have use a PC monitor to play my xbox360 on, which I don't want to be there. I also want triple displays, as I'm currently rocking with triple Alu ACD's 20". But big ol' TBD's are too big for me and I would love some sort of setup with a 21.5" iMac, and two 21.5" TBD's either side.
lucasfer899 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:51 AM   #13
HalfNelson
macrumors newbie

The issue is probably more centered around the fact that most consumer electronics that output hdmi, only output at 1080p. There is most likely too much added headache to add the additional hardware necessary for up scaling the 1920x1080 input signal to 2560x1440. I could see an hdmi input slightly possible on a 21.5" display, if they ever released such a thing, but as someone already mentioned there would be the need for some sort of external controls such as volume and input selection. If there is ever going to be an hdmi INPUT on an Apple device, the most likely candidate would actually be an iMac, which would make it easier to address the above mentioned issues.
HalfNelson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:18 PM   #14
Corato
macrumors newbie

I suppose it might be nice "fluff" item for TV input; however, I do not see it having much use.

Just hurry up and issue new display! USB3, Thunderbolt hub, reduced glare, can't wait.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 11:03 AM   #15
Quotenfrau
macrumors 6502

Without HDMI the Apple Thunderbolt Display is useless

When will be a new version of Apple Thunderbolt Display with HDMI?
Quotenfrau is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2014, 08:17 PM   #16
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quotenfrau View Post
Without HDMI the Apple Thunderbolt Display is useless

When will be a new version of Apple Thunderbolt Display with HDMI?
A. It's A THUNDERBOLT display not an HDMI display
B. Holy Thread revival Batman!
paulrbeers is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2014, 08:31 PM   #17
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrbeers View Post
A. It's A THUNDERBOLT display not an HDMI display
B. Holy Thread revival Batman!
I wonder what magical gadget Batman will pull from his utility belt for this one?
Old Mar 25, 2014, 02:21 AM   #18
gavinstubbs09
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to gavinstubbs09 Send a message via Skype™ to gavinstubbs09
About HDMI...

I'd love to have an HDMI input as I could plug in some device like a Apple TV, Xbone, PS4, that kind of stuff. Use one monitor at my desk so there would be zero need for an actual TV for HDMI.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals