Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bending Pixels

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
What to do....I really like the workflow and organization of Aperture, but like the results that the Develop module in LR gives (including the many available presets). That said, the rest of th LR workflow leaves me frustrated (sometimes to the point I want to punch something).

I'm heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem - MBP, iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV, and do use Photo Stream to manage images on the iPad.

One option is to use LR to manage/develop everything, and send the best images to iPhoto to sync with the iPad and Apple TV. The other option is to stick with Aperture for everything, and use PS CS6's ACR for those images that need a lot of work on the highlights/shadows.

Thoughts?

Bending Pixels

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
Most of it relates to the whole modular setup of LR, vs. Aperture's project based setup (i.e. for one project, you can have books, slideshows, etc.).

I do a LOT of HDR work, and when an image comes back into LR, it isn't put into the Collection where the images used to create it are. Have to go into the specific folder and move the finished image into the collection. Also, there's an ongoing problem with how long some modules (the Book module in particular) take to load. I can fix coffee in the time it takes to load.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Most of it relates to the whole modular setup of LR, vs. Aperture's project based setup (i.e. for one project, you can have books, slideshows, etc.).

I do a LOT of HDR work, and when an image comes back into LR, it isn't put into the Collection where the images used to create it are. Have to go into the specific folder and move the finished image into the collection. Also, there's an ongoing problem with how long some modules (the Book module in particular) take to load. I can fix coffee in the time it takes to load.

Speed has been an issue with LR 4, especially since I've been working with my D800 and ridiculous sized RAW files. It's something I live with (short of buying a new computer) for now as LR has WAYYYY more support and community than Aperture and their non-existent updates other than iOS fluff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.