Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

APK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2013
Looking for some advice here:
I have a reasonable DVD collection I am looking to convert digitally to watch using iTunes.

I have Apple TV 2, Macbook Pro Retina and iPhone 5.

What would be the best setting to apply on Handbrake?
Universal? Apple TV 2? or 3?

Primary purpose would be to watch the movies on my TV via Apple TV 2 (3 in the future) but I would also like the ability to watch them on my Mac and or iPhone. So I want the best quality for the TV.

Would the 'Apple TV 3' setting allow movies to be played across the three formats? Or is it 'universal' only that will allow it?

Would 'universal' compromise the quality when viewed on a 60 in LED tv in comparison to the original DVD?

Thanks in advance guys.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
AppleTV 3

Apple TV 3. That's what I use and they look great on my LED, just as good on my laptop and iPhone.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
Use ATV3 preset and switch to an ATV3 device as well. There's no sense in encoding a bunch of 720p video when you know you'll eventually want 1080p.

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
Use ATV3 preset and switch to an ATV3 device as well. There's no sense in encoding a bunch of 720p video when you know you'll eventually want 1080p.

I agree ATV3 is the easiest/best choice of preset. But just wanted to point out that the OP's source is DVDs, which are 480p. So I'm guessing it probably doesn't matter if he uses the ATV2 (720p) or ATV3 (1080p) presets.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
I agree ATV3 is the easiest/best choice of preset. But just wanted to point out that the OP's source is DVDs, which are 480p. So I'm guessing it probably doesn't matter if he uses the ATV2 (720p) or ATV3 (1080p) presets.

For DVDs, I use simply the "High Profile" preset, remembering to check the "Web Optimize" option.

Another tweak here is to set the anamorphic to "Custom", set the Height / Width to 720 / 480, and check the "Keep Aspect Ratio" option. This gets about as good a picture out of a DVD that you can get, as you always get the full 480p height. Otherwise, if the source material is wider than 720, Handbrake will reduce the height to <480, and you do not get as good a picture as is available.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.