Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 23, 2013, 09:54 PM   #51
hyteckit
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
The iPad doesn't do 720p HDTV format.

It does 768p and 720p.
hyteckit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 04:02 AM   #52
bobbysmith
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
The iPad doesn't do 720p HDTV format.

It does 768p and 720p.
720p=1280x720 (16:9 aspect). It refers to only this resolution.
Nexus=1280x800
iPad=1024x768. 1024*(9/16)=576. That means 1024x576p is the highest supported 16:9 resolution. HD content has to be downscaled before playing on the iPad.

I don't think it matters though. It's not video that looks bad on the iPad, it's text.
bobbysmith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 04:27 AM   #53
hyteckit
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbysmith View Post
720p=1280x720 (16:9 aspect). It refers to only this resolution.
Nexus=1280x800
iPad=1024x768. 1024*(9/16)=576. That means 1024x576p is the highest supported 16:9 resolution. HD content has to be downscaled before playing on the iPad.

I don't think it matters though. It's not video that looks bad on the iPad, it's text.
iPad does 768p resolution. 1024x768 is 768p resolution at 4:3 ratio.

Neither the iPad or Nexus does 720p fullscreen without scaling, letterboxing, or cropping since neither has a native 720p resolution at 16:9 ratio.

Nexus will do 720p fullscreen by letterboxing, adding black bars on top and bottom to the 16:9 video.
iPad will do 720p fullscreen by cropping the left/right of a 16:9 video.

Last edited by hyteckit; Feb 24, 2013 at 05:00 AM.
hyteckit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 05:34 AM   #54
bobbysmith
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
iPad does 768p resolution. 1024x768 is 768p resolution at 4:3 ratio.
Saying that it does "768p" is meaningless. There is no 1024x768p broadcast standard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
Nexus will do 720p fullscreen by letterboxing by adding black bars on top and bottom.
Yes, showing every pixel in the video with no scaling (in theory, anyway).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
iPad will do 720p fullscreen by cropping the left/right of the video.
720p means 1280x720p and only this. It means nothing else. It refers to a broadcast standard.

It is not short for 720 vertical lines with any arbitrary aspect ratio. It also doesn't make any sense to use a p when denoting the iPads display resolution, because the display does not use progressive scanning.

The iPad can only show 720p content by downscaling or cropping (which actually means it both crops the sides and upscales and interpolates vertically to 768, not 720 pixels).

Again though, as far as arguments against the mini go it's one of the less significant ones.
bobbysmith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 08:54 AM   #55
bigboar
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAsimov76 View Post
You guys should form a club!

come on newb, you could at least include your video with instructions on how to get started!
How To Start A Club

Get it right the next time!!!!!
__________________
Thanks for viewing my Signature!
bigboar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:53 AM   #56
yegon
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
I find mba/mbp & Mini & phone a killer combo. I use my mba at all times in the house, while my Mini slips perfectly in my coat pocket when I go out. As such, my iPad 3 gets little use ( I really ought to sell it). I'll be first in line for a retina mini though, I consider the mini one of the best purchases I've ever made and is close to perfect bar one very obvious omission.
yegon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 04:45 PM   #57
iAsimov76
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboar View Post
come on newb, you could at least include your video with instructions on how to get started!
How To Start A Club

Get it right the next time!!!!!
My apologies oh wise one with 316 posts since October 2012. I yield to your superior presence in this agora.
iAsimov76 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 03:01 AM   #58
hyteckit
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbysmith View Post
Saying that it does "768p" is meaningless. There is no 1024x768p broadcast standard.

720p means 1280x720p and only this. It means nothing else. It refers to a broadcast standard.
Just because you don't know what 768p means, doesn't make it meaningless.

You know what's meaningless? Talking about broadcast video signals on an iPad since I can't even receive over the air HDTV broadcast signals on my iPad cause it lacks an ATSC tuner.

Video can come from many sources and not just broadcast video.

You believe the only way to get video onto a LCD screen is from broadcast standard signals? You believe all videos are 16:9 aspect ratio?

You seem to be only recognize vertical resolution and ignoring aspect ratio.

I can encode video in 720p 16:9 aspect ratio or 720p in 4:3 apect ratio. If I want to encode video on my iPad, I can choose to encode it in 1024x768 and crop out the left/right side of the video.

So yes, my iPad Mini can play back 1024x768 videos, or 768p with a 4:3 aspect ratio, at native resolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbysmith View Post
It is not short for 720 vertical lines with any arbitrary aspect ratio. It also doesn't make any sense to use a p when denoting the iPads display resolution, because the display does not use progressive scanning.
You do know both iPads and LCD TV use LCD technology right? Are you saying it doesn't make any sense to use a 'p' when talking about 1080p LCD TV/Monitor? I agree with you there's no need to use a 'p' for describing the resolution for LCD TVs or monitors/screens because it's progressive by nature.

Progressive means non-interlace.

Progressive and interlace is meaningful when talking about the video signal/source. The 'p' is denoting the video signal/source as non-interlace or progressive.

1024x768 LCD is 768p with a 4:3 aspect ratio
1280x720 LCD is 720p with a 16:9 aspect ratio
1920X1080 LCD is 1080p with 16:9 aspect ratio

So yes, my iPad Mini can play back 1024x768 progressive videos, or 768p with a 4:3 aspect ratio, at native resolution.

Last edited by hyteckit; Feb 25, 2013 at 03:38 AM.
hyteckit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 07:48 AM   #59
kazmac
macrumors 68000
 
kazmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Beyond the Door...
I was in the same boat as the OP

Until I realized how painful holding the iPad 4 was for more than a couple of minutes. I swapped out for a mini this morning and my wrists thank me for it.

Also, I'm perfectly fine with the non-retina screen despite my myopic peepers. I really haven't seen much of an improvement with retina on anything save for the 15" rMBP so for me this was no loss. Comics, movies, pdfs and games look just fine. And that's good because many of my dvd rips are in Standard Definition.

Plus I don't feel the addtional pain of buyers remorse of plunking down almost a grand for an iPad now. I wish this size would have been offered at the get-go, because it is the iPad I always wanted but never knew I wanted until now.

Once again, I need to listen to myself and not reviewers, message boards etc. One size does not fit for everyone and I'm glad we have choice.
kazmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:00 AM   #60
craftytony
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sycamore, IL
I was on the same boat as just about everyone when I heard the mini didn't have a retina screen. Then my sister in law got one and brought it over....I LOVED IT! I don't know how anyone could say the screen is horrible, it looks just fine, not RETINA fine, but great nonetheless....
craftytony is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:06 PM   #61
bobbysmith
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
You believe all videos are 16:9 aspect ratio?

You seem to be only recognize vertical resolution and ignoring aspect ratio.

I can encode video in 720p 16:9 aspect ratio or 720p in 4:3 apect ratio.
No, you can't. 720p refers solely to the 16:9 ratio. You can't just redefine established terms as you please. Maybe I'll start calling my iPad an Atari Lynx.


Quote:
Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
You do know both iPads and LCD TV use LCD technology right? Are you saying it doesn't make any sense to use a 'p' when talking about 1080p LCD TV/Monitor? I agree with you there's no need to use a 'p' for describing the resolution for LCD TVs or monitors/screens because it's progressive by nature.
It is not at all given that an LCD is progressive. In fact, I'd wager that most are not.

Last edited by bobbysmith; Feb 25, 2013 at 12:57 PM.
bobbysmith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 01:53 PM   #62
hyteckit
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbysmith View Post
No, you can't. 720p refers solely to the 16:9 ratio. You can't just redefine established terms as you please. Maybe I'll start calling my iPad an Atari Lynx.

It is not at all given that an LCD is progressive. In fact, I'd wager that most are not.
So 'p' in 720p means 16:9 ratio now? I'm pretty sure the 'p' stands for progressive and not limited to 16:9 aspect ratio.

4:3 is still a very common aspect ratio. Most LCD monitors and TVs before the HD widescreen switchover were the conventional 4:3 aspect ratio. Most video games let me use the 4:3 aspect ratio. My xbox 360 lets me select between the 4:3 or 16:9 aspect ratio.

What's 480p?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/480p


Standard Resolution Aspect Ratio
480p 640480 4:3
480p 800480 5:3
480p 720480 3:2
480p 854480 16:9


You keep thinking 'p' means 16:9 aspect ratio, when it isn't.

480p => 480 is the vertical resolition. p means it's a progressive, non-interlace signal.

Last edited by hyteckit; Feb 25, 2013 at 02:16 PM.
hyteckit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:15 PM   #63
bobbysmith
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
So 'p' in 720p means 16:9 ratio now?
No. Work on your reading comprehension. Here it is in big bold letters:

720p = 1280x720p

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
What's 480p?
Not 720p? It's pretty simple.
bobbysmith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:45 PM   #64
hyteckit
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbysmith View Post
No. Work on your reading comprehension. Here it is in big bold letters:

720p = 1280x720p


Not 720p? It's pretty simple.
No, you need to work on your reading comprehension.

Making it bold doesn't make it true.

720p => 720 vertical lines with progressive scan. Not limited to 16:9 aspect ratio.

960x720 => 720p at 4:3 aspect ratio
1280x720 => 720p at 16:9 aspect ratio


480p 640480 4:3
480p 800480 5:3
480p 720480 3:2
480p 854480 16:9

Really not that hard to understand.
hyteckit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 03:03 PM   #65
bobbysmith
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
No, you need to work on your reading comprehension.
No. 720p is an internationally established shorthand term for 1280x720p. Nothing else. It holds this sole meaning across the globe, as well as any other planet humans may set foot on.
bobbysmith is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 03:39 PM   #66
Luis2004
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essenar View Post
You won't notice the ram to be honest.
Maybe not now, but when the 1st gen iPad mini is not upgradeable to higher iOS's because of its inability to power the latest apps and games, it will be very noticeable.

I'm waiting til at least the 2nd gen.
Luis2004 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 05:25 PM   #67
hyteckit
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbysmith View Post
No. 720p is an internationally established shorthand term for 1280x720p. Nothing else. It holds this sole meaning across the globe, as well as any other planet humans may set foot on.
For ATSC HDTV standards maybe.

But an iPad isn't a HDTV nor is it meant to be one. It doesn't have an ATSC tuner to receive HDTV channels.

And the iPad does 768p at 4:3 aspect ratio just fine.

So stop saying the iPad can't do 720p. The iPad can do 720p and 768p at 4:3 aspect ratio.


I play pc games on my 1080p LCD TV. Guess what? It supports 1080p, 768p in both 16:9 and 4:3, 720p in both 16:9 and 4:3.


Your brain seems to be limited to the concept that video only comes from broadcast TV and that's why you think 720p means 1280x720p only. It is not.

Last edited by hyteckit; Feb 25, 2013 at 05:41 PM.
hyteckit is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:27 AM   #68
bobbysmith
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
Your brain seems to be limited to the concept that video only comes from broadcast TV and that's why you think 720p means 1280x720p only. It is not.
Again, 720p is an internationally established shorthand term for 1280x720p. It means nothing else. It doesn't matter what the video source is. It isn't a term for any arbitrary horisontal resolution. It could have been, but it isn't.

But yes, it is derived from broadcast. You don't say that an LCD (or whatever) panel is 1280x720p or 640x480p, because it's a meaningless term in that context. You have no idea how the LCD driver actually updates the display, nor is it really of any interest. The iPad has a 1024x768 resolution, not 1024x768p, not 768p. Shortening it at all doesn't even really make any sense as it's a leftover from the analog CRT TV world where there was no horisontal resolution, and not something that has been used in the computer world.
bobbysmith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:43 AM   #69
darngooddesign
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Still seems weird to hate an inanimate object.
__________________
64 giggity... giggity... gigg-i-ty
Lego Apple Store
darngooddesign is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2013, 02:20 AM   #70
hyteckit
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbysmith View Post
Again, 720p is an internationally established shorthand term for 1280x720p. It means nothing else. It doesn't matter what the video source is. It isn't a term for any arbitrary horisontal resolution. It could have been, but it isn't.
There are a bunch of 720p plasma TV that has the same resolution of the iPad, which is 1024x768 resolution.

For example:

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TC-P42C2?t=specs

Resolution: (1,024 x 768)
Moving Picture Resolution: 720 lines or more
HDTV Display Capability (1080p, 1080i, 720p): 720p

So panasonic doesn't agree with you.


Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbysmith View Post
But yes, it is derived from broadcast. You don't say that an LCD (or whatever) panel is 1280x720p or 640x480p, because it's a meaningless term in that context. You have no idea how the LCD driver actually updates the display, nor is it really of any interest. The iPad has a 1024x768 resolution, not 1024x768p, not 768p. Shortening it at all doesn't even really make any sense as it's a leftover from the analog CRT TV world where there was no horisontal resolution, and not something that has been used in the computer world.
You haven't been using computer for long have you? It is often used in the computer world. From video files, pictures, to pc games. If you have a crappy video card, you can play games in interlace instead of progressive. It just means you are only seeing half the vertical lines.

i = for interlace
p = for non-interlace

Interlace and progressive usually applies to video signal/source or images. Applies to video signal coming from broadcast, video camcorders/cameras, DVD players, game systems, pc games, video files, pc applications, and so forth. Not limited to broadcast.
hyteckit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2013, 02:34 AM   #71
Defender2010
macrumors 68000
 
Defender2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London
Tedious, very tedious
__________________
W2P KLD talking...what's your handle, WR2 GFO?
Defender2010 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2013, 09:32 AM   #72
AppleRobert
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender2010 View Post
Tedious, very tedious
And Jimmie cracked corn. I do not think 99.99% of owners would care about this sort of scrutiny regarding the Mini's resolution.
AppleRobert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2013, 10:18 AM   #73
bobbysmith
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
There are a bunch of 720p plasma TV that has the same resolution of the iPad, which is 1024x768 resolution.

For example:

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TC-P42C2?t=specs

Resolution: (1,024 x 768)
Moving Picture Resolution: 720 lines or more
HDTV Display Capability (1080p, 1080i, 720p): 720p

So panasonic doesn't agree with you.
That's not a 720p panel, nor is it 4:3 like the iPad, nor can it display 720p without downscaling. My 480x320 cell phone will also play 720p by downscaling it, but I'm not sure how it's relevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
You haven't been using computer for long have you? It is often used in the computer world.
Since the 1980s. Shortening a computer display's resolution to just the number of lines has never been common. No one refered to 640x256 as "256" or "256p".


Again, 720p is an internationally established shorthand term for 1280x720p. It means nothing else. It doesn't matter what the video source is. It isn't a term for any arbitrary horisontal resolution.
bobbysmith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2013, 10:45 AM   #74
Nychot
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
If I have to rate my tablets:
1. Ipad 3
2. Nexus 7
3. iPod touch 5
4. Ipad mini
Nychot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2013, 10:47 AM   #75
TJ5921
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nychot View Post
If I have to rate my tablets:
1. Ipad 3
2. Nexus 7
3. iPod touch 5
4. Ipad mini
An iPod touch isn't a tablet. Credibility is very questionable here.
TJ5921 is offline   2 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad: Ipad air, Ipad mini retina and Ipad mini space grey photo thread gadget123 iPad 0 Nov 1, 2013 05:44 PM
A7X-Based iPad and iPad Mini Expected to Launch in 4Q 2013, Lower-Cost A6 iPad Mini to Follow in 2014 MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 178 Oct 11, 2013 07:52 AM
From a hater to a believer Cubemmal Mac Pro 69 Jun 15, 2013 09:37 AM
iPad Mini: Worlds First iPad Mini Black & Slate + iPad Mini SmartCover Unboxing! RiseDarthVader iPad 52 Nov 2, 2012 07:35 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:00 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC