Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bill phillips

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 8, 2012
ive been reading around and i cant seem to find a thread that answers my exact questions, so i apologize if one does exist, but thats why I'm starting a new one.... ok heres the scenario, i got a 27 inch iMac (new, late 2012) i need to run bootcamp on my iMac, i have no cd drive obviously, my question is is there a way to download windows to my usb stick drive and then use that to burn the iso image from the bootcamp assistant onto my iMac? and can you please explain the steps i would need to do this because everything im reading on this seems to be contradicting the other and im ready to start smashing things lol. thanks guys

Last edited:

denisvj

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2006
ive been reading around and i cant seem to find a thread that answers my exact questions, so i apologize if one does exist, but thats why I'm starting a new one.... ok heres the scenario, i got a 27 inch iMac (new, late 2012) i need to run bootcamp on my iMac, i have no cd drive obviously, my question is is there a way to download windows to my usb stick drive and then use that to burn the iso image from the bootcamp assistant onto my iMac? and can you please explain the steps i would need to do this because everything im reading on this seems to be contradicting the other and im ready to start smashing things lol. thanks guys

If what you need is windows 7 you can download the ISO's :

http://www.mydigitallife.info/downl...cial-32-bit-and-64-bit-direct-download-links/

bill phillips

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 8, 2012

http://www.mydigitallife.info/downl...cial-32-bit-and-64-bit-direct-download-links/[/QUOTE

yes basically what im looking for, but how exactly do i go about doing it after i download the iso?

----------

downloading windows 7 professional 64 bit iso right now. basically im confused as of what to do once its downloaded due to all the conflicting things ive been researching

denisvj

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2006

http://www.mydigitallife.info/downl...cial-32-bit-and-64-bit-direct-download-links/[/QUOTE

yes basically what im looking for, but how exactly do i go about doing it after i download the iso?

----------

downloading windows 7 professional 64 bit iso right now. basically im confused as of what to do once its downloaded due to all the conflicting things ive been researching

Do you hace a friend near with a windows pc that can burn the iso ?

I don't know if there is a better way , I would do this :

1. download trial of Parallels

2. mount the ISO with disk utility

3. Install and create a VM just for step 4

4. Download the tool to create windows 7 on USB :

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

4. Use parallels to mount de usb and use the usbdvd tool.

After that I think you could use the usb to install it .

Maybe someone has another easier way to do it :confused:

keogh

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2010
Welling, UK
Bootcamp assistant will help you put the ISO on to a USB stick, follow the instructions and at some point it will ask if you want to make a bootable drive, that is where you use the downloaded ISO to mount it.

I did this on my Mac Mini (late 2012), but I have a Windows PC next to me, I used that to burn the ISO off my Windows Ultimate DVD (using this free tool), then I used the Windows USB tool to mount the ISO to my USB and the rest was just like doing it from a DVD.

bill phillips

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 8, 2012
Do you hace a friend near with a windows pc that can burn the iso ?

I don't know if there is a better way , I would do this :

1. download trial of Parallels

2. mount the ISO with disk utility

3. Install and create a VM just for step 4

4. Download the tool to create windows 7 on USB :

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

4. Use parallels to mount de usb and use the usbdvd tool.

After that I think you could use the usb to install it .

Maybe someone has another easier way to do it :confused:

wow! what a pain in the ass for something that should be so easy! you just made me feel stupid hahaha..ok im tryin a few things as we speak

----------

Bootcamp assistant will help you put the ISO on to a USB stick, follow the instructions and at some point it will ask if you want to make a bootable drive, that is where you use the downloaded ISO to mount it.

I did this on my Mac Mini (late 2012), but I have a Windows PC next to me, I used that to burn the ISO off my Windows Ultimate DVD (using this free tool), then I used the Windows USB tool to mount the ISO to my USB and the rest was just like doing it from a DVD.

i downloaded the windows professional iso from the link he gave me, seems like it went perfect, just erased my usb drive and reformatted it, now im currently in bootcamp setup assistant at the page where it says create bootable usb drive for windows insulation, saying to choose iso image? do i just click continue from here? can it be that easy? lol

bill phillips

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 8, 2012

i just got a message after clicking continue that says " boot camp only supports 64 bit windows installation on this platform, please use a iso file for 64 bit windows installation...wtf does that mean, i just downloade the 64 bit windows 7 professional.

----------

Please follow the procedure on this thread I started few days ago.

If you have a question then please post it in that thread.

If you follow it exactly then you shouldn't have a problem installing the Window OS on your new iMac as I did.
ok cool, which thread though man theres no link

----------

i just got a message after clicking continue that says " boot camp only supports 64 bit windows installation on this platform, please use a iso file for 64 bit windows installation...wtf does that mean, i just downloade the 64 bit windows 7 professional.

----------

nvm got it, thanks

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.

----------

----------

nvm got it, thanks

That's what I got too but you don't need bootcamp to install windows, you can do all (Except downloading Bootcamp drivers) from within Disk Utility.
Open Disk Utility (DU), click on the ISO, not in DU but on the file, you will then see it will appear in DU, then click on the ISO and on the restore TAB, drag the ISO to the source and under it drag the USB stick to target, hit restore and it goes, be aware all data is lost on the USB.
Then, also in DU, resize(partition) the disk into two partition, up to you how much you want to have for windows, then hit the start button, it will take mere minutes to finish, you should name the new partition before going ahead, otherwise you can not rename in in the default OS X NTFS driver.
Now, if all is done restart and hold the option key, the boot manager shows up, choose the USB stick and then follow up with install.
You need to use Bootcamp assistant to download the drivers and put them on a stick, another one is the best way.

Edit, if you can not partition the windows disk in DU with NTFS just use FAT32 and format it later when you install to NTFS.(Change)

Last edited:

bill phillips

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 8, 2012
That's what I got too but you don't need bootcamp to install windows, you can do all (Except downloading Bootcamp drivers) from within Disk Utility.
Open Disk Utility (DU), click on the ISO, not in DU but on the file, you will then see it will appear in DU, then click on the ISO and on the restore TAB, drag the ISO to the source and under it drag the USB stick to target, hit restore and it goes, be aware all data is lost on the USB.
Then, also in DU, resize(partition) the disk into two partition, up to you how much you want to have for windows, then hit the start button, it will take mere minutes to finish, you should name the new partition before going ahead, otherwise you can not rename in in the default OS X NTFS driver.
Now, if all is done restart and hold the option key, the boot manager shows up, choose the USB stick and then follow up with install.
You need to use Bootcamp assistant to download the drivers and put them on a stick, another one is the best way.

Edit, if you can not partition the windows disk in DU with NTFS just use FAT32 and format it later when you install to NTFS.(Change)

ok ill try that in a few and let you know how it goes

bill phillips

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 8, 2012
ok ill try that in a few and let you know how it goes

jp im doin what you said, after i put the iso in source then the usb in destination i hit restore and then i get a message saying could not validate source, invalid argument.. wtf. did i do something wrong

denisvj

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2006
jp im doin what you said, after i put the iso in source then the usb in destination i hit restore and then i get a message saying could not validate source, invalid argument.. wtf. did i do something wrong

What is the name of the file that you downloaded ?

Did you download the 64 bits version ?

bill phillips

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 8, 2012
What is the name of the file that you downloaded ?

Did you download the 64 bits version ?

i was under the impression that that was the windows 7 i downloaded, apparently it was just the drivers, so now im in the process of downloading windows 7 as well

Quantum3

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2010
"lease help before i kill somebody!!!!! lol" SUPER LOL!!!! :D haha...

There is an USB tool from Microsoft to make a booteable USB with windows inside it. Just write this in Google: "microsoft usb tool" and voila :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.