Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Why do people rage so much on this forum? Can't we all be polite?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
You think this is bad? Go to Engadget or even The Verge sometimes to see brutality.

This^

I acted as a Moderator on a popular Windows based site for a few years...The insults and personal attacks were hard to keep up with...some people simply joined in order to flame someone they disliked. MR is extremely friendly by and large, and remember, if you see a post that breeches the rules, report it. These threads are dealt with quickly and efficiently by the Moderation team here.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
MacRumors is one of the nicer corners of the internet. Mainly thanks to the excellent standard of moderation here.

Debates happen. But they can happen within reasonable boundaries.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Someone-is-wrong-on-internet.png

Welcome to the internet :p

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
The rage level on MacRumors is less than most sites.
You'd never have survived the days of the down vote button.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I agree with most of the posters who have pointed out that MR is one of the more decent, better moderated, interesting fora on the internet. It is - some of the others are, frankly, dreadful.

However, to my mind, the OP has made a very good point; despite the 'welcome to the real [online] world' tone of some of the responses made here in reply to the OP, there is nothing wrong and much that is right with asking why a civil and courteous tone cannot be sought - and maintained - when availing of online communication, and social media.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
If you really want to give up on humanity, then spend a couple of minutes reading youtube comments.

Man you aren't kidding..

I'm pretty far out there in my opinions but many of those makes make me look completely rational and down to earth.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I posted a similar thread a while ago, and said I would leave because I was sick of it. Members persuaded me to stay, but it was short lived and I've had enough of this place.

Places like engadget, etc, are vile. However - this is a Mac community where you get shot down at every opportunity if you are an Apple fan (I get called out for being an "Apple Fanboy" all the time here), and nobody is apparently allowed an opinion. At least on engadget you can sometimes you can have a rational debate about something - a typical MacRumors debate involves:

- This is what I think
* You're wrong
- I'm right
* No, you're wrong
- NO i'm right
* No you're wrong fanboy (at which point every non-Apple fan in the thread jumps on board with the attacking)
- Im right idiot
* I'm leaving this thread since theres no point debating this with such an ignorant idiotic fanboy
- BUT I"M RIGHT

macs4nw

macrumors 601
I agree with most of the posters who have pointed out that MR is one of the more decent, better moderated, interesting fora on the internet. It is - some of the others are, frankly, dreadful.

However, to my mind, the OP has made a very good point; despite the 'welcome to the real [online] world' tone of some of the responses made here in reply to the OP, there is nothing wrong and much that is right with asking why a civil and courteous tone cannot be sought - and maintained - when availing of online communication, and social media.

Agreed. I think a big part of it all, is the 'anonymity' factor, that makes us feel free to vent our anger at 'over the top' levels, at real or perceived wrongs. Most people get some sort of satisfaction from being able to call someone an idiot (or worse), without fear of consequences. Insecurity perhaps?

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Why do people rage so much on this forum? Can't we all be polite?

I have a suggestion that might demonstrate what a thread CAN be. Go to Community > Espresso Enthusiasts.

Don't read for the content, but rather for the attitude and ambiance. (Unless you happen to be a demented coffee freak...then read for content!)

Lots of information, great conversation, very supportive of each other, no nastiness or anger...albeit there is a bit of friendly, good natured teasing.

Caveat: Totally ignore the posts by Shrink. He's a pedantic, long-winded, boring, know-it-all jerk. Just read some of the other posters...terrific folks.:D

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
I actually had several abortive attempts to engage with this forum**, because my initial posts were treated with an unnecessary degree of hostility and childish trolling.
However, I've persevered, and it's not too bad. I tend to stay out of the entirely subjective discussions. (When will Apple release X?; which Y is the best? etc)

I've been a regular at the macosxhints forum for many years, which I find very civilized, and an excellent source of information. Though this place is much livelier.

**Hmm, I'm sure I joined before Jun 2012. Unless I used another account.:confused:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Agreed. I think a big part of it all, is the 'anonymity' factor, that makes us feel free to vent our anger at 'over the top' levels, at real or perceived wrongs. Most people get some sort of satisfaction from being able to call someone an idiot (or worse), without fear of consequences. Insecurity perhaps?

Agreed, and well said.

Indeed, I have long suspected that a lot of what is written online under the safe cloak of anonymity (or our respective dashing noms de plume) might not actually be posted (it might, of course, be thought, as in a personal, private, internal, unspoken, thought bubble, but hardly anyone would dare to actually articulate it) were the individuals in question sitting, or standing, face to face under their real identities and corporeal bodies........

I have a suggestion that might demonstrate what a thread CAN be. Go to Community > Espresso Enthusiasts.

Don't read for the content, but rather for the attitude and ambiance. (Unless you happen to be a demented coffee freak...then read for content!)

Lots of information, great conversation, very supportive of each other, no nastiness or anger...albeit there is a bit of friendly, good natured teasing.

Caveat: Totally ignore the posts by Shrink. He's a pedantic, long-winded, boring, know-it-all jerk. Just read some of the other posters...terrific folks.:D

Yes, a great example of a wonderful, idiosyncratic, informative, deranged, fantastic, hilarious, and utterly absorbing thread. I love it to bits.........and no, disregard what Shrink has written about himself. On this matter, this topic, he is our guide and mentor..........and our admiration and awe at his formidable erudition and boundless knowledge knows no bounds.

Another equally interesting thread (where, again, most of the contributors, your humble scribe included, can be classed as enthusiasts, and where the tone is courteous, informed and utterly passionately absorbed by the topic under discussion) is one which can be found in the 'Current Affairs' section concerning the discovery of the remains of King Richard III in a Leicester car park last autumn.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
I actually had several abortive attempts to engage with this forum**, because my initial posts were treated with an unnecessary degree of hostility and childish trolling.
However, I've persevered, and it's not too bad. I tend to stay out of the entirely subjective discussions. (When will Apple release X?; which Y is the best? etc)

I've been a regular at the macosxhints forum for many years, which I find very civilized, and an excellent source of information. Though this place is much livelier.

On a forum this size, there are bound to be many different types of members with varying agendas. I just updated the stats for the number of page views etc:

The site attracts over 72.9 million worldwide page views per month, 9 million of which are unique. The MacRumors Forums have a large and active membership base with over 796,000 members and 16.3 million posts and growing.

So all I can say is please help us keep it as clean as friendly as possible by reporting problems. You don't have to do anything other than hit the report button and send - if there's a problem, it should be obvious to us whether or not you include a message in your report.

**Hmm, I'm sure I joined before Jun 2012. Unless I used another account.:confused:

If that's so, send a contact message with any info you have about previous emails or possible other user names we can use to look you up, and we'll take care of it for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.