Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2010
Sooo.. Last time apple came up w/ something awesome was iphone 4. It was June 2010.
So it's been almost 30 months since they did anything. They have made a complete fool of themselves on ad(Genius one) and also there has been no exciting update on their ad.(just same format as always , meaning, they are not working on anything new and when they do, they screw it up badly).

Carriers are noticing this and know that apple is less arrogant and more cooperating.(because apple knows their product is not the best anymore). Stocks are down in major way. New iphone 5 is not making a huge dent.(and people who buys them are not HUGELY happy w/ it, because let's face it. It's iphone 4 w/ taller hardware, so which again means apple is doing NOTHING).

They have no ability to adapt and insist on one size and one style phone only. This is beyond stupid. NOt only that, they didn't work on this one phone that they have for almost 30 months. And now, there is a talk about going iphone 5s? If you buy iphone 5s, you are just as big part of blame. I loved apple. But if iphone 5s come out, shame on you apple.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
I had to Google "Tim Burton" first: No idea who he was.

Not a good start.

Did you have to Google Martin Scorcese when Apple used him? While Burton's movies aren't as great, he's definitely just as well known.

As for Apple's advertisements, they definitely need to step up their game. The new iPad ads are horrid.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Yes. Dump millions into advertising a product everyone knows about. Perhaps show the new size it will be..... for that is all Apple can do now. Nothing new and innovative, just new sizes.

The purpose of advertising is not to show new features or innovation. It's to keep the product in front of people.

Seeing ads of connecting wires to one's wrist or banging their products on a tabletop or doing one-hand handstands does not make me want to buy them. Apple simply needs to constantly remind everyone that they are still in the game to provide users with what they want and need.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Did you have to Google Martin Scorcese when Apple used him? While Burton's movies aren't as great, he's definitely just as well known.

Martin Scorcese directed for Apple? You kidding me? Now there's a director with name recognition!

Seriously though, I'm just not that up-to-date on Hollywood these days. And I'm probably not in Samsung's target demographic for that matter.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
BTW - a lot of advertising you see is not to convince people to buy your product. It's to make those that have feel better about their purchase. Crazy? Perhaps - but true. Note: I am not saying ALL advertising.

But that's another reason why you see ads like this. Because those that have Android phones (Samsung) will feel better about their devices.

It's a "feel good" tactic. Make sure your customer knows they chose right.

A lot of car advertisements are done for this reason. Very few cars are sold by a commercial.

You can argue whether or not it's effective. But the tactic has been around for many years.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
To be honest I don't really like any of the iPhone/iPad ads, nor do I like any of the Samsung ads. They're weird and I don't feel attached to them at all. I didn't like the I'm a Mac/I'm a PC ads either. The Think Different one was great (but I think I wasn't really around back then, or I'm not even sure when that was).

I only liked the silhouette iPod ads, those were absolutely amazing. Why can't anyone do something like that again? It was artistic and striking, fun and beautiful. And it was not product focused. And it didn't have a stupid, retarded story like all the stupid ads today (like this Samsung one, or the Genius Apple ones).

To me, there are no technology ads today that are interesting whatsoever. Or any interesting ads altogether, actually, in any market. They try to go into weird directions with unrelated stories, just like those utter crap Microsoft ads with Seinfeld.

natekettles

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2010
South Africa
I'm terribly sorry, but I think almost every Samsung ad is bad. In fact, it's cringe worthy. I watched this ad and I was not sure what they were selling, or why I should even get it. I would change channels immediately if I saw this on TV, and so would my whole family.

So, while Apple may need to step up it's advertising game, it must definitely not look to Samsung as a model.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
Ah I love the anti-Apple hypocrites. Remember when they said that the only reason Apple was succeeding was because they were good at marketing? Now that it's Korean Samsung succeeding on American turf because of marketing alone, where are the anti-apple zealots now? Bunch of hypocrites.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
No, but you seem to be lusting over a Samsung phone, so why not go buy one...

How am I lusting over a phone based on my comments? Please enlighten me.

PS - I already own both an iPhone and Samsung Skyrocket and use them both. So no need for me to lust regardless.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
Sooo.. Last time apple came up w/ something awesome was iphone 4. It was June 2010.
So it's been almost 30 months since they did anything. They have made a complete fool of themselves on ad(Genius one) and also there has been no exciting update on their ad.(just same format as always , meaning, they are not working on anything new and when they do, they screw it up badly).

Carriers are noticing this and know that apple is less arrogant and more cooperating.(because apple knows their product is not the best anymore). Stocks are down in major way. New iphone 5 is not making a huge dent.(and people who buys them are not HUGELY happy w/ it, because let's face it. It's iphone 4 w/ taller hardware, so which again means apple is doing NOTHING).

They have no ability to adapt and insist on one size and one style phone only. This is beyond stupid. NOt only that, they didn't work on this one phone that they have for almost 30 months. And now, there is a talk about going iphone 5s? If you buy iphone 5s, you are just as big part of blame. I loved apple. But if iphone 5s come out, shame on you apple.

HAHAHA I can't WAIT to see what you have to say about Samsungs 'innovative' S4. Can't wait I tell ya!

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007

And yet they are still make billions and selling millions of phones. Most people don't need/want a whole new phone to learn every time they upgrade. There is a lot to be said about being consistent, people like consistent. There is a small group that feel Apple has to be complete new every year.

Are the things Apple need to work on, YES! Like the mail and calendar apps. There so many things they could be doing to make these apps better and easier to get things done. Even those I have no issues, I know there is still some work that need to happened with maps to make the good. And as much as I don't think iPhone needs widgets, I could see them being useful on the iPad...

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Yes, the "EX" Apple Ad guru likes one of Apple's competitors ads that slam them. Who would have thought?

This guy helped create most of the iconic Apple campaigns. What has Chiat\Day done for Apple since his departure? Nothing worth talking about. Apple should take his advice seriously.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
How am I lusting over a phone based on my comments? Please enlighten me.

PS - I already own both an iPhone and Samsung Skyrocket and use them both. So no need for me to lust regardless.

Maybe lusting isn't the right word, but its clear you want to try new things all time. I like play with new gadgets too. But not my phone, I use my phone way too much, and it's way to important of business too for that...

twigman08

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012
I will admit the current ads from Apple are not what I entirely expect from Apple, but to say Samsung is killing Apple in advertising? I don't get it?

I understand that sometimes not all ads need to just show the product off and sometimes need to find something to remember the product by. Though that is almost all Samsung does it seems. They find other people for you to remember their product by. When people see Seth Rogan they might think the Samsung ad. I guess you can say Samsung did it's job there. Though when I think about it I think "now what was Samsung trying to sell me?" It takes forever for me to figure out what they are trying to sell me. In an Apple ad it takes me most of time 3 seconds at max to know what they are trying to sell me.

I laugh every time I see the "Bump" feature demonstrated on a Galaxy phone. I am like "I used to do that years ago on my iPhone 3GS using 'Bump.' Now I just use the cloud. Oh you see all these pictures that I want other people to view and comment on? Oh I just create a photostream and they can also add their own!" Sure I will admit the S-Beam can do some nice things but to say it is revolutionary or innovative? I don't see it. Something isn't revolutionary just because it used different technology to send it. I remember the Bump app couple years ago. It was THE way to send pictures or other content before the iPhone received MMS. Bump is still used today was just updated not to long ago to support sending stuff to your computer.

But I am sure I will be called an "Apple Fanboy" because I supported Apple somehow. Speaking of that I get a little annoyed that anytime someone defends Apple they are automatically classified as a fanboy.

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
Yeah, because Apple has never done that. :rolleyes:

"Hi, I'm a Mac."

casue apple never bashed other products in their ads :rolleyes:
I never liked the I'm a Mac ads, but they were cheeky and light whereas Samsungs are unplesent and pompous.
And what competitors product were they bashing in the advert posted in the article?

I was taking in general, the one about people waiting for the iPhone 5 and the blackberry one.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007

Now that Android is grown up, you will see fewer and fewer "awesome" things from them. I would argue you can only make a phone so big, and it can only do so much before you are only adding minor features and only a few people will care about...

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Maybe lusting isn't the right word, but its clear you want to try new things all time. I like play with new gadgets too. But not my phone, I use my phone way too much, and it's way to important of business too for that...

You're using a lot of wrong words. And poor logic. What indicates that I want to try new things all the time. Or that I haven't carefully evaluated my needs. Or for that matter - how I use my phone and how important it is for my business needs.

Go on - I can't WAIT to hear this one.

karpich1

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2007
Why is so hard to get this?
That was PC vs Mac.... YES!
What we have here is Samsung vs Apple Consumers! Is it really that hard to see?

Some people argue that the PC Guy didn't just represent the windows box... the beige thing sitting on the floor. But a user mindset as well. That PC users are fine just accepting this stupid behavior / design, or that some lines of dialog really are ambiguous... since both the PC and OS are the ones doing X and then waiting forever.

I'm not saying I agree with that sentiment, but I don't disagree with it either. Some of his lines of dialog could go either way... that the "I'm doing THIS and waiting" is PC doing that... or the USER doing that and waiting.

As for making fun of Apple users... the original "iPhone 5 line" commercial in its entirety wasn't really doing that. But eventually they shortened it to something more sane and the end result was it came off that way.

It went through a couple of shortening revisions: a medium one, then a major one.

The point WAS... that the users were so excited about getting features A,B,C in this revision but probably having to wait until the NEXT revision to get features X,Y,Z.

Enter the Samsung Galaxy S3, which had all of those features they mentioned... months ago. Including the ones iPhone 5 doesn't have yet. And they didn't have to wait in line.

Which was apt... I knew people REALLY EXCITED about getting this and all of that... while I pointed out my brother already has all of that.

SO, besides the adapters thing and the "old parents" thing... they were comparing features in a funny way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.