Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
I have no musical experience what so ever. Don't know how to read it, and don't know the lingo. My only musical outlet is Garageband, I need to expand. Any suggestions for starters? With some money I saved up, I think I can get some decent equipment. I was thinkin' about getting something that can hook up to my Mac and start actually playin' and possibly creating music one day.

Any help would be appreciated. :D I guess this is my New Years resolution but it's been in my mind forever.

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2006
I took 2 years of piano in high school and unforantly nothing of it stuck with me. I have made my own song in garageband while I was screwing around though. If you start, make sure you are committed, otherwise it will be a waste of time and money.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I learned in 1st grade, the trick is to learn it right the first time then have to relearn after. Take private lessons it's the only way to really learn.

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Chicago
Two pronged approach:

1)Lots of time learning by ear.
2)Lots and lots of time sight reading.

as for the former, it's all that really matters. As for the latter, get over the basics as quickly as you can. Get awesome at note recognition. There are great drills at http://www.emusictheory.com

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
I learned in 1st grade, the trick is to learn it right the first time then have to relearn after. Take private lessons it's the only way to really learn.

I wish I knew where to look for a good teacher.

Two pronged approach:

1)Lots of time learning by ear.
2)Lots and lots of time sight reading.

as for the former, it's all that really matters. As for the latter, get over the basics as quickly as you can. Get awesome at note recognition. There are great drills at http://www.emusictheory.com

Thanks for the site, I'll give it a look.

Kashchei

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2002
Meat Space
Finally a subject that I can actually contribute to rather than simply receive advise! I'm a professional musician (I teach at Georgia State University) and I have written a music theory webcourse for beginning music students (high school seniors planning on studying music in college). Take a look and see if it is any help to you. If it is, you probably won't need to study all 17 lessons, but just the first ones that help with learning to read notes and note values. Good luck and happy new year!

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Finally a subject that I can actually contribute to rather than simply receive advise! I'm a professional musician (I teach at Georgia State University) and I have written a music theory webcourse for beginning music students (high school seniors planning on studying music in college). Take a look and see if it is any help to you. If it is, you probably won't need to study all 17 lessons, but just the first ones that help with learning to read notes and note values. Good luck and happy new year!
very nice, that should help a beginner.

lu0s3r322

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2005
i learned piano for seven years. if you have the time, you can get good fast. but i quit because high school is very hectic. i took private lessons for all 7 years and some tips i have to say are:

~Go to a music store and buy some beginner books.

~Maybe you can hire a teacher to help you start off.

~Digital pianos are good because you dont have to tune them, but with regular wooden pianos it just gives a richer sound IMO.

~If you like classical music, try it, you can impress a lot of people...at least in my music class i did. :eek:

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
One of the best and easiest option if you are a college student is take a piano class. Most schools offer beginning piano as an elective. You learn the basic in a group setting, and you get access to practice room and prof you can ask question to. If you are in high school and your high school offers concurrent enroll you can probably do the same thing or just pay the cash and attend.

If those aren't option, I'd recommend you look into just taking some piano lesson. It is worth the investment even if you think it is lame. You will learn the fundamentals and if you want to teach yourself after you have the ball rolling then that is fine. Learning the fundamentals in playing any instrument is really important IMHO. Like the previous poster said goto a music store that sells piano and stuff. You will find all the info you need to find a teacher there.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Thanks everyone for their input. Any suggestions for a digital keyboard?

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
As little bells and whistles as possible. You want full size keys that are weighted somewhat like a real piano. Don't even bother with the lighted key ones as thats not going to help you learn. A full piano has 88 keys so you will want a keyboard with at least 56.

ppc_michael

Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I second the private lessons. I've been playing for sixteen years, and I still find myself going back to private lessons (and then quitting... and going back... heh). You really need someone who can watch you play and listen and critique. You said you don't know where to find one, but I'd really suggest looking in the phone book or even going to the grocery store and looking at the bulletin board for a flyer, because I guarantee you there are at least two or three starving piano teachers who want nothing more than another student. :)

As for a keyboard, make sure it has a number close to the 88 keys (some come with much less, I would avoid those or else you'll find yourself not able to play entire songs because they go up too high or too low and you don't have the keys!) and touch-sensitive keys so that varying the pressure will control the volume. Those (dynamics) are extremely important. Finally, make sure it has a sound that you can stand to listen to for hours a day for years. A lot of keyboards don't even sound like a piano at all, and they get annoying after two minutes.

All that said, I have a Yamaha Portable Grand (where they supposedly mapped actual grand piano recordings to the keys). It's not the best, but it's better than a lot of the other keyboards out there.

Finally, (sorry, long post) remember that keyboards are VERY different than pianos in the feel, sound, and overall experience. If you can possibly get an upright piano, even and old junky one as long as it works, I would strongly recommend doing so. But I know those suckers are a LOT of money so a keyboard will do.

I hope this helps. Good luck!! The piano is a beautiful thing.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
I second the private lessons. I've been playing for sixteen years, and I still find myself going back to private lessons (and then quitting... and going back... heh). You really need someone who can watch you play and listen and critique. You said you don't know where to find one, but I'd really suggest looking in the phone book or even going to the grocery store and looking at the bulletin board for a flyer, because I guarantee you there are at least two or three starving piano teachers who want nothing more than another student. :)

I know I can find one, but I don't know their background. I've never taken private lessons for anything so I guess it's kind of intimidating. What would be a reasonable rate for private lessons?

pivo6

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2002
Minnesota
I know I can find one, but I don't know their background. I've never taken private lessons for anything so I guess it's kind of intimidating. What would be a reasonable rate for private lessons?

I don't know of this is considered reasonable, but I'm paying $50/month (each) for weekly lessons for my daughters. Books are extra.

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
If you're serious about learning piano I would highly recommend you take lessons since you have no other musical experience. Ask around at a music store, or actually a lot of people who play organs at churches give lessons on the side. Try out a teacher, if you don't like him/her it's no big deal, you can always go find somebody else.

If you're going to buy a keyboard make sure to spend the money on one with weighted keys. It feels much more natural and if you try to go between an unweighted keyboard and a real piano it won't feel right at all.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
I have no musical experience what so ever.

Playing the piano (and indeed almost any musical instrument) involves three fundamental, but very different skills:

1) An understanding of basic music theory. Why do some notes (or combination of notes) sound "right" - while others sound jangly and horrible? The basics of tempo and rhthym. What it means if a song is written or played in the key of "C". Why do minor chords sound so different from major ones?

2) Developing the physical dexterity and muscle memory to play the variety of notes, and combination of notes, quickly, smoothly, and (important for pianists) precisely the right amount of force to make your song sound right.

3) The ability to combine the previous two skills. For some people this means "sight reading" - being able to pick up a piece of sheet music and immediately start playing. For others it means being able to improvise, and create new music while sitting at the keyboard.

There is no other way of saying it: Developing the physical skills takes practice. Lots of it.You might be able to pick out simple ditties in a couple o hours, but being able to competently and musically play most sheet music will take many, many hours of practice. The amount will vary from person to person, and depends to a great extent on how focused your practice scheme is. In other words, if you keep practicing what you can already do - then you won't make progress in new areas.

Developing your knowledge of music theory is, IMHO, less "sexy" - but its equally important - especially if you have any interest in creating your own music. If you were to devote an hour a day to learning the keyboard, I'd set aside at least twenty minutes to theory and "ear training" (the ability to recognize notes and chords when you hear them).

A couple of notes on equipment: The Mac and Garageband make hooking up a digital keyboard very easy. And due to space and cost considerations this may be a better choice than a traditional piano. But if you go this route, buy the best digital keyboard you can afford: Make sure it has a physical action (the way the keys feel when you press them) that most closely mimics that of a real piano. Make sure it has full sized keys. And make sure it can accommodate an external sustain pedal. (You'll very quickly come to understand why this is important ) Lastly, if you go this route also buy a keyboard stand and bench that allow you to maintain a proper sitting posture. The way you sit and type at a computer is very, very different from the way you need to sit at a piano.

gramirez2012

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Chicago, USA
Although you can learn an instrument by yourself, I personally think it's best to start out taking lessons - at least until you get the fundamentals down.

BTW, music theory is a very difficult subject to learn. I don't recommend it to anyone. :D

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away

My son takes individual lessons once a week for half an hour ($155/month) and group band lessons once a week for 1 1/2 hours ($100/month).

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Although you can learn an instrument by yourself, I personally think it's best to start out taking lessons - at least until you get the fundamentals down.

BTW, music theory is a very difficult subject to learn. I don't recommend it to anyone. :D
Music theory is one of the hardest courses you can take. Even for skilled pianists the content is insane!

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Music theory is one of the hardest courses you can take. Even for skilled pianists the content is insane!

You should study up on improvisational jazz. That my friend is hard as hell.

Musicians don't just sit around and start playing anything they like. There is structure to improv. jazz.

I started out on the trumpet at 9 years old. Went to french horn ( first chair ) then drums all the while taking piano lessons every day and plucking on the guitar.

Learning to play the piano is very frustrating. Especially the sheet music reading part and the hand placements.

And it is a lifetime endeavor .

Good luck OP. Don't give up.

Remember the circle of fifths.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
You should study up on improvisational jazz. That my friend is hard as hell.

Musicians don't just sit around and start playing anything they like. There is structure to improv. jazz.

I started out on the trumpet at 9 years old. Went to french horn ( first chair ) then drums all the while taking piano lessons every day and plucking on the guitar.

Learning to play the piano is very frustrating. Especially the sheet music reading part and the hand placements.

And it is a lifetime endeavor .

Good luck OP. Don't give up.

Remember the circle of fifths.
Ya improve jazz is hard. But it is all learning the chord progressions. For me the circle of fifths is the easy part. Key changes is what you really need to master. A song that starts out in G major and shifts to F# minor takes work.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Ya improve jazz is hard. But it is all learning the chord progressions. For me the circle of fifths is the easy part. Key changes is what you really need to master. A song that starts out in G major and shifts to F# minor takes work.

that's where the hand placement comes in. Changing keys becomes easy after mastering finger placement. Just up to the black keys. Kinda sorta.

:D

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
that's where the hand placement comes in. Changing keys becomes easy after mastering finger placement. Just up to the black keys. Kinda sorta.

:D
Most of my lessons growing up where classical, Jazz is just a whole different breed. Going from in depth sheet music to jazz charts where you just go off of chords is a learning curve.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.