Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
Is the screen on the iPhone 5 (gorilla glass 2.0) resistant enough to every day use or is a screen protector necessary.

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
If you keep it in a dedicated pocket and don't throw it around, it should be enough.

But you need to remember that Gorilla Glass is not harder than quartz, which is found it most dust, sand, and rocks. If you have any of that stuff in your pocket then yes, you will get scratches.

Personally I go without a screen protector and have Applecare+ on it in case it gets scratched or whatever.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
If you keep it in a dedicated pocket and don't throw it around, it should be enough.

But you need to remember that Gorilla Glass is not harder than quartz, which is found it most dust, sand, and rocks. If you have any of that stuff in your pocket then yes, you will get scratches.

Personally I go without a screen protector and have Applecare+ on it in case it gets scratched or whatever.

Then what the hell is it resistant against

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
Then what the hell is it resistant against

Gorilla Glass, on the hardness scale, has a hardness of 6+ - 7. (there is some dispute about this, as some have claimed it is a 9. But the frequency of reports of it being scratched makes me believe the number I heard in other forums about it being between 6 and 7.)

Anything harder than that will scratch the screen.

Iron, steel, nickel, lead, gold, silver or any medal are softer (1-5) than gorilla glass, so they should not scratch the glass.

On the other hand, sand contains quartz and it could scratch gorilla glass, for example when sand is in your pockets (after a walk on the beach).

One more thing:
a common misconception is: 'make something sharp and it will scratch'. it's wrong. you can make your fingernail or your key as sharp as possible, it is still softer than the glass and it will not scratch.
So, no, keys won't scratch it (steel), but anything harder than 7 on the scale will with no problem. So anybody that has no scratches obviously hasn't made contact to the screen with anything harder than a 7 on this scale.

Hardness Substance or mineral
0.2–0.3 caesium, rubidium
0.5–0.6 lithium, sodium, potassium
1 talc
1.5 gallium, strontium, indium, tin, barium, thallium, lead, graphite
2 hexagonal boron nitride,[10] calcium, selenium, cadmium, sulfur, tellurium, bismuth
2.5 to 3 magnesium, gold, silver, aluminium, zinc, lanthanum, cerium, Jet_(lignite) (lignite)
3 calcite, copper, arsenic, antimony, thorium, dentin
4 fluorite, iron, nickel
4 to 4.5 platinum, steel
5 apatite, cobalt, zirconium, palladium, tooth enamel, obsidian (volcanic glass)
5.5 beryllium, molybdenum, hafnium
6 orthoclase, titanium, manganese, germanium, niobium, rhodium, uranium
6 to 7 glass, fused quartz, iron pyrite, silicon, ruthenium, iridium, tantalum, opal
7 quartz, vanadium, osmium, rhenium
7.5 to 8 hardened steel, tungsten, emerald, spinel
8 topaz, cubic zirconia
8.5 chrysoberyl, chromium, silicon nitride
9-9.5 corundum, silicon carbide (carborundum), tungsten carbide, titanium carbide, stishovite
9.5–10 rhenium diboride, tantalum carbide, titanium diboride, boron nitride, boron [11][12][13]
10 diamond
>10 nanocrystalline diamond (hyperdiamond, ultrahard fullerite)

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Also, it does matter how much force you put into it. I bet a metal like titanium can still scratch the screen if you put a lot of force on it.

Gorilla Glass is just more resistant to scratches than standard glass. Also, one other special feature: if the Glass does shatter, you won't have a lot of glass flying around your head (like what happens with normal glass).

keitarou

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2012
Gorilla Glass, on the hardness scale, has a hardness of 6+ - 7. (there is some dispute about this, as some have claimed it is a 9. But the frequency of reports of it being scratched makes me believe the number I heard in other forums about it being between 6 and 7.)

Iron, steel, nickel, lead, gold, silver or any medal are softer (1-5) than gorilla glass, so they should not scratch the glass.

On the other hand, sand contains quartz and it could scratch gorilla glass, for example when sand is in your pockets (after a walk on the beach).

One more thing:
a common misconception is: 'make something sharp and it will scratch'. it's wrong. you can make your fingernail or your key as sharp as possible, it is still softer than the glass and it will not scratch.
So, no, keys won't scratch it (steel), but anything harder than 7 on the scale will with no problem. So anybody that has no scratches obviously hasn't made contact to the screen with anything harder than a 7 on this scale.

1 talc
2 hexagonal boron nitride,[10] calcium, selenium, cadmium, sulfur, tellurium, bismuth
2.5 to 3 magnesium, gold, silver, aluminium, zinc, lanthanum, cerium, Jet_(lignite) (lignite)
4 fluorite, iron, nickel
4 to 4.5 platinum, steel
5 apatite, cobalt, zirconium, palladium, tooth enamel, obsidian (volcanic glass)
6 to 7 glass, fused quartz, iron pyrite, silicon, ruthenium, iridium, tantalum, opal
8 topaz, cubic zirconia
9-9.5 corundum, silicon carbide (carborundum), tungsten carbide, titanium carbide, stishovite
9.5–10 rhenium diboride, tantalum carbide, titanium diboride, boron nitride, boron [11][12][13]
10 diamond

The screen should be made of diamonds!!!!

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I have never seen a good use for screen protectors on an iPhone. Ever.

The only thing you have to worry about is a bad fall that will crack the screen. And guess what...no screen protector will protect against that.

Some people use cases, some don't. That's personal preference and you can go either way. But whichever way you go, screen protectors are just a big waste of time and money.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Also, it does matter how much force you put into it. I bet a metal like titanium can still scratch the screen if you put a lot of force on it.

Gorilla Glass is just more resistant to scratches than standard glass. Also, one other special feature: if the Glass does shatter, you won't have a lot of glass flying around your head (like what happens with normal glass).

I have a titanium key too! Crap! Lol

ahusahan.jpg

Oddly enough notice its worn out a bit? It's by far harder then the rest of my keys and the lock cylinder on my car.

Friction? Excessive force? Dunno, I understand the hardness scale but there seems like there's more too it.

When I shoot hardened steel targets pistol rounds only take the paint off. Rifle rounds can leave significant damage.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
I have a titanium key too! Crap! Lol

Oddly enough notice its worn out a bit? It's by far harder then the rest of my keys and the lock cylinder on my car.

Friction? Excessive force? Dunno, I understand the hardness scale but there seems like there's more too it.

When I shoot hardened steel targets pistol rounds only take the paint off. Rifle rounds can leave significant damage.
Well, it's quite a soft metal right? A soft metal can be very hard, while a hard metal can be very soft. :)

Probably lots of factors come into play. We're not even sure if glass is a liquid or solid, haha. :)

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
Gorilla Glass is a marketing term. Does not mean indestructible

$49.00 replacement if drops/spills on iphone. Priceless

AppleCare + insurance from Apple

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
It's not the glass that usually scratches its the coating on the glass.

BeeJee

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2011
Long Island/North Jersey
I remember my first Nokia bar style phone, 2 lgs and my Razr all had plastic screens. People never had the need to use screen protectors then, but now everybody is becoming so sensitive and are worried about GLASS scratching. I mean, unless your phone meets sandpaper pretty much any scratches it'll get (if any) will be unnoticeable in everyday use unless you're looking for them in direct sunlight or something.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008

One more thing:

1 talc
4 fluorite, iron, nickel
4 to 4.5 platinum, steel
8 topaz, cubic zirconia
10 diamond

You appear to be far too intelligent for this forum.

I hope you stick around.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Is the screen on the iPhone 5 (gorilla glass 2.0) resistant enough to every day use or is a screen protector necessary.
As always (same as it for any device), it's a matter of personal preference. Quantify "tough enough". It's scratch resistant but it's not unscratchable. You have to make the call based on your preference. You have to take whatever precautions you're willing to take. We can't tell you that. Some use screen protectors. Some do not.

I have never seen a good use for screen protectors on an iPhone. Ever.

The only thing you have to worry about is a bad fall that will crack the screen. And guess what...no screen protector will protect against that.

Some people use cases, some don't. That's personal preference and you can go either way. But whichever way you go, screen protectors are just a big waste of time and money.
It's personal preference for both. What you consider "good use" or "waste" is your subjective preference. The next person's can and will vary. You can't dictate what others will or will not worry about based on your preference. Further, "never seen" != "does not exist" despite what many seem to think.

No, hardness matters. Force and sharpness do not. The material has to be harder than the Gorilla Glass to scratch it. You can certainly crack it with enough force but scratching it requires a harder material.

I remember my first Nokia bar style phone, 2 lgs and my Razr all had plastic screens. People never had the need to use screen protectors then, but now everybody is becoming so sensitive and are worried about GLASS scratching.
Screen protectors aren't anything new. They've been around for a long time whether you noticed them or not.

Last edited:

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA

One more thing:

1 talc
4 fluorite, iron, nickel
4 to 4.5 platinum, steel
8 topaz, cubic zirconia
10 diamond

Great post, should be on an iPhone FAQ or on the sticky with most FAQ on this forum.

mlmwalt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2010
Philadelphia, Pa, USA
I use the screen protector that came with my Otterbox. I'm glad I put it on. It has 5 "scars" on it from falls, etc. I emailed them about the damaged protector and they sent me a few replacements (mighty nice of them, I was willing to pay for them). I'm pretty certain some of these scars would''ve scratched my screen. I wouldn't have gotten a screen protector if it hadn't come with the Otterbox. This is my experience and should be considered as such.

shiekh

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2006
Don't know if this helps, but for lubricated bush bearing one normally runs hard against soft, and then it is the hard that eventually wears away; what is happening is that there are harder particles in the oil that get pressed into the softer material and these eventually wear away the harder.
I wonder how true this is in the dry case, where a metal key may have fine grit embedded in its surface.

S

syd430

Ha ha, never claimed credit for it, though.

Still, it works.

You could of pasted the source link and put the full post post in quote tags. Now you just look sad because the way it was worded.

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
You could of pasted the source link and put the full post post in quote tags. Now you just look sad because the way it was worded.

I'm not sad at all. So a couple of people are tsk tsking about my very helpful and informative post?

Attachments

• slow-down-mak-no-one-cares.jpg
    slow-down-mak-no-one-cares.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 641

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
No iPhone uses Gorilla Glass. 1 or 2. Th iPhone screen will crack when dropped at a certain height and force. The rumored iPhone 5S or iPhone 6 is rumored to contain Corning Gorilla glass.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.