Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
1900MHz definitely lacks building penetration...thats always going to be the downside of it but If u have a good wifi at home and at work then one can definitely live with T-Mobile and its MVNO's (

T-Mobile MVNO's Incl.
- Simple Mobile (Best $50 deal with Unlimited 3G/4G deal which I'm sure is caped at some point and ill guess its ~ 5GB)
- GoSmart Mobile (Best $45 deal with 5GB @ 3G/4G soft cap + 2G/EDGE Unlimited Data)
- Ultra Mobile
- Ptel Mobile
- Spot Mobile (Best ~$40 or under Deal w/ 500MB @ 4G/3G soft cap + 2G/EDGE Unlimited Data who are on same account not that it makes any difference as compared to Walmart)
- Walmart Family Mobile (Best $40 deal for a Individual users with 1GB @ 3G/4G soft cap + 2G/EDGE Unlimited Data)
- Solavei

Last edited:

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
T-Mobile is working perfect in South Florida. Most if not all areas are already in 3G. Good signal too.

I get 4-5 bars of signal in my house whereas my AT&T iPhone only gets 1-2 bars.

Everything works perfectly.

I'm also I. S. Florida (Miami), and I get 3G in most places. I just hate that as soon as I get into my home, the connection drops to E and I then I end up with a bar or 2.

Do u happen to know if tmobile can give me a boost cell tower for my home?

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
I'm also I. S. Florida (Miami), and I get 3G in most places. I just hate that as soon as I get into my home, the connection drops to E and I then I end up with a bar or 2.

Do u happen to know if tmobile can give me a boost cell tower for my home?

I doubt it...but if you have a WiFi at home then there is no point in having the "boost" tower at home...I never understood the purpose because as long as you can make calls from your home through EDGE and are connected to WiFi for your data then there is no need for a boost tower as it connects through your internet at home and provide you with the feeling of getting "3G" when your still using your own internet that again can be easily accessed if u jus connect to your WiFi...

BrandonHacks

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2012
Texas
So does anyone from Dallas want to tell me if the coverage for 3G sucks or not?

I'm in burleson which connects to towers off of 35 as well as another in arlington and I got faster speeds than sprint (2.0 mb/ps) that was when it first was being worked on so by now it should be even better.

BENJMNS

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2005
Was with vzw iPhone 5. Got tired of paying $145 a month for 5gb data and unlimited talk even if my work subsidizes most of the bill. Now at $80 with tmob unlimited everything. Hotspot not allowed.

Getting 3G in Seattle area using a1428 model. Lte is cool but YouTube is still better at home on wifi? Not sure why when lte is way faster. Connection is not as reliable as vzw. You get what you pay for.

Essenar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
3G in San Diego is pretty damn good.

It's only "okay" when I'm in select areas on campus.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Okay that's what I'm wanting because on straight talk I get like 6 or 7mbps
And I'm looking for something close or faster with the ability to stream lol

Ya T-Mobile is amazing with speeds but has its limitations with building penetration. When I am in the basement I get E on T-Mobile and still 4G most of the time on my STraight talk...until ofcourse it becomes equal and drops down to E as well but AT&T is still better right now but looking at the rate T-Mobile is reaffirming its going to get only better in the coming months. In my APT and on the road I can definitely enjoy T-Mobile 3G with up to 11Mbps, I have yet to see any areas in Chicago city limits where 3G isnt available.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
For those who don't know Tmobile has a $70 truly unlimited prepaid data plan now. Pretty much the only carrier that has this for unlocked devices.

VolceOntra

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2007
Anybody in Augusta, GA? A T-Mobile rep said the have the 1900 mhz service in the area, but I have a feeling he doesn't know what he is talking about...

CharismaticNerd

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2013
Dallas, TX
So question; on the map it has 3G spots were its been located right?
Well if there is a tower in the area, how far does it reach? Because there are huge gaps in between the 3G pin pointed spots..

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
So question; on the map it has 3G spots were its been located right?
Well if there is a tower in the area, how far does it reach? Because there are huge gaps in between the 3G pin pointed spots..

I would say approx 4-10mile radius...This isnt 100% but its my estimated guess based on my findings in Canada as a new company in the past half a decade has been putting up towers and I was doing some testing on their network.

I think USA carrier towers have far more bandwidth and MHz than the Canadian ones.

jrz

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2012
Indianapolis!

North Indianapolis now has 3G (anyone familiar with Indy I am talking about 86th Street area). I first discovered it 2 weeks ago, and yesterday I picked up 3G a few miles further north in my office (in which I usually could not even get Edge). Just to say- I see progress is actually happening, slow, and spotty… but happening. Edge is just so painful to use – they need this…

Billdillard

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2013
Had it confirmed by a T-Mobile rep last week that the retooling process has begun in Tulsa, Oklahoma... But I have not yet seen 3G on my 4.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
3G in popping up all over Charlotte now. Tested this on an iPhone 5 last night.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 111
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.