Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
I have a first generation iPad running 4.3.5
I enjoy the firmware as this older iPad runs smoothly and without issue.

For the most part I am not restricted in what apps I use other than I find it annoying iBooks now requires 5.0

Is there a workaround? I'd love to continue using 4.3.5 and also have iBooks installed.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
I updated iBooks months ago and long before purchasing this iPad. I wish Apple Apps (such as iPhoto; iMovies, and GarageBand) would be offered in different configurations so those on the older devices don't give up one the reasons they purchased an Apple product to begin with.

I totally get updating iBooks, for example, to 5.0, but why not offer it as a second iBooks app? They're free anyway, so I don't see the harm nor the added expense.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
I updated iBooks months ago and long before purchasing this iPad. I wish Apple Apps (such as iPhoto; iMovies, and GarageBand) would be offered in different configurations so those on the older devices don't give up one the reasons they purchased an Apple product to begin with.

I totally get updating iBooks, for example, to 5.0, but why not offer it as a second iBooks app? They're free anyway, so I don't see the harm nor the added expense.

First, iLife apps don't work great with the iPad 1 due to the lack of RAM. Plus it doesnt have a camera.

Yea, I just checked iTunes, iBooks requires 5.0 or higher which sucks.

oldschool006

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2009
Tip of the Iceberg

I have a first generation iPad running 4.3.5
I enjoy the firmware as this older iPad runs smoothly and without issue.

For the most part I am not restricted in what apps I use other than I find it annoying iBooks now requires 5.0

Is there a workaround? I'd love to continue using 4.3.5 and also have iBooks installed.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you OP, I think it is a major issue that a device purchased as recently as February 2011, a mere 2 years ago, has lost a primary function through a software update. No company should be allowed to market and sell a product that it then manipulates to selected obsolescence within 2 years.

I challenge anyone to name an analogous situation where a durable good can be made legally obsolete within so short a time frame. Consumers must be protected by willful business practices that undermine the functioning of their own goods.

Your question raises a big issue I think, one that also legitimizes a concern of the 6 month product cycle update (hardware). It could be easily fixed if Apple would keep available relevant software, though it may take a large scale petition or even a class action to resolve.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Huh?

Unless I'm misunderstanding you OP, I think it is a major issue that a device purchased as recently as February 2011, a mere 2 years ago, has lost a primary function through a software update. No company should be allowed to market and sell a product that it then manipulates to selected obsolescence within 2 years.

I challenge anyone to name an analogous situation where a durable good can be made legally obsolete within so short a time frame. Consumers must be protected by willful business practices that undermine the functioning of their own goods.

Your question raises a big issue I think, one that also legitimizes a concern of the 6 month product cycle update (hardware). It could be easily fixed if Apple would keep available relevant software, though it may take a large scale petition or even a class action to resolve.

Define obsolete.

My parent's iPad 1 is running iOS 6.x right now. Used it last night. Not lightning fast, but it works great.

How do I tell if it's obsolete?

braddick

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA

My issue is iBooks is an Apple app!
They could/should be a tad more lax with their own products using their own apps.

oldschool006

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2009
Define obsolete.

My parent's iPad 1 is running iOS 6.x right now. Used it last night. Not lightning fast, but it works great.

My issue is iBooks is an Apple app!
They could/should be a tad more lax with their own products using their own apps.

The OP is certainly suffering from Apple's designed obsolescence. If you buy a product to do X, it being a significant operation of the product, and the company that manufactures and markets it then deactivates that aspect of the product, in this case through an Apple iOS update, and does not provide redress to consumers like the OP, they have made the product obsolete to that segment.

I too would like to buy an iPad to use with Apple's iBooks. The iPad is their flagship ereader. If they then undermine my purchase, and adding insult to injury within so short a time frame, I will be calling someone's Attorney General.

Last edited:

dextr3k

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2012
Define obsolete.

Pretty sure its not an iPad 1. They can only go up to 5.1.1

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool

there is a very simple solution to the OP's problem....update the ipad to iOS 5 and use ibooks

Last edited:

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
...I too would like to buy an iPad to use with Apple's iBooks. The iPad is their flagship ereader. If they then undermine my purchase, and adding insult to injury within so short a time frame, I will be calling someone's Attorney General.

Well assuming you buy currently sold iPad, don't upgrade your iBooks to a version that requires a newer OS than you want to install on it. If you do then you, not Apple, would be undermining your own purchase.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.