Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
The difference is that a criminal harms others by their criminal act while two people of the same sex doesn't.

Yes, but all behavior has a genetic element, so I could justify anything I do by saying I was born that way. Again, I'm not criticizing being gay, I just think you can come up with better justifications than that.

I'm genetically predisposed to want to have sex with lots of women, but I don't because my wife doesn't understand. And I'm sure she won't accept the I was born this way argument.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
This is not about getting married in a church. It's about having the rights and benefits that come with being married.

Right, and again, if you folks would read my entire posts instead of the first line and making assumptions; you'd see I'm on your side! Allowing Gay marriage in government ensures all of those rights, including the right to marry in a court or in a church that affirms it. But on the flip side, I disagree with those who would force every church to marry everyone just because they asked. If a church doesn't want to affirm gay marriage, fine! That's all I'm saying. Let's separate the church and the state, like Thomas Jefferson and other suggested! (Fun fact, the language 'separation of church and state' isn't actually in the constitution, but it started with Jefferson and has been repeatedly affirmed by Supreme Court decisions, so it's just as valid; but it's not in the constitution like some think)

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
That is false. The institution of marriage predates religion, and it has always been man and woman. Religion is only a secondary and minor consideration in the question of marriage and its definition.

Seems to me one of the purposes of marriage is to foster procreation, and last time I checked its impossible for a man to impregnate another man or a woman another woman. If society doesn't procreate what happens to it?

iPusch

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2012
Manhattan, New York
So since we are breaking this barrier, I can marry my dog now right?

Awww, that would be so cute^^

-------------------

I don't really have much to say on this topic but I do not see why gay marriage should not be allowed... I think it already is in NY isn't it?
I only surely know Cali has gay marriage, but NY? Anybody knows?

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
The problem with what you're saying is that you can't provide a reason why it's not OK.

And actually, that is how many of the opponents of gay marriage are planning to stop it. By showing how it will destroy society. So, your providing them with the ammunition that they are going to shoot back with.

Moccasin

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2011
Newcastle, UK
I'm a single female. Should I go protesting to to Supreme Court because married couples get certain tax benefits that single people don't? Am I being discriminated against?

If you like. There aren't really any tax benefits in the UK for marriage. Indeed I think it is cynical to have them if seeking equality. I'm single and will probably remain so for the rest of my life. Frankly I don't give a damn about what other people want to do but respect their right to have a choice.

whatever

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2001
South of Boston, MA
Right, and again, if you folks would read my entire posts instead of the first line and making assumptions; you'd see I'm on your side! Allowing Gay marriage in government ensures all of those rights, including the right to marry in a court or in a church that affirms it. But on the flip side, I disagree with those who would force every church to marry everyone just because they asked. If a church doesn't want to affirm gay marriage, fine! That's all I'm saying. Let's separate the church and the state, like Thomas Jefferson and other suggested! (Fun fact, the language 'separation of church and state' isn't actually in the constitution, but it started with Jefferson and has been repeatedly affirmed by Supreme Court decisions, so it's just as valid; but it's not in the constitution like some think)

No one is saying that churches should be forced to marry anyone. In fact today many churches (especially the Catholic Church) refuse to marry people. It's their right and everyone accepts that.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008

for what it is worth I get what you are saying and I agree. I'm usually very wary of christianity (organized religion in general) but I find your input in the discussion refreshing! :D

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Yes, but all behavior has a genetic element, so I could justify anything I do by saying I was born that way. Again, I'm not criticizing being gay, I just think you can come up with better justifications than that.

I'm genetically predisposed to want to have sex with lots of women, but I don't because my wife doesn't understand. And I'm sure she won't accept the I was born this way argument.

So, your opinions. Are they something you were born with, or were they something you chose to believe?

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK

It's an entirely valid justification because most of the opposition to homosexuality comes from the belief that it's a choice.

If it could be 100% proven that being gay was not a choice, and that gay people could not stop being gay, then it would be a LOT harder for anyone to publicly oppose it.

It would certainly make a lot of the religious arguments look weak. Most of them relate to religious texts that suggest that it is a choice and that anyone choosing to be like that is evil.

If you remove choice from the equation, most of the arguments against Gay Marriage collapse.

And actually, that is how many of the opponents of gay marriage are planning to stop it. By showing how it will destroy society. So, your providing them with the ammunition that they are going to shoot back with.

The difficulty is that they can't demonstrate that, because it's not the truth!

Moccasin

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2011
Newcastle, UK

In the countries where gay marriage - and indeed polygamy - is legal, society seems not to have been adversely affected. What are the fears?

jhende7

macrumors regular
May 19, 2010
I always find it funny when Hollywood portrays Canadians so different then Americans because you'd hardly be able to tell the difference selecting someone randomly in the streets. Then I hear the homophobic comments on here and it's like wow you guys are behind the times.

To be fair I have seen a lot of great supportive comments so all hope isn't lost.

Seriously, you more compassionate forward thinking posters should just move to Canada. It's like the US, except with tolerance and less children getting shot.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Our government isn't bound by the constitution anymore however.

If you've been following some of these "constitutional scholars" you've heard them saying that we shouldn't be using some old document written by dead bigots. The end is near my friend...:p

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
So since we are breaking this barrier, I can marry my dog now right?

I'm sure that's the best people who think like you can do. And for the record, the barrier was broken when we stopped making inter-racial marriage illegal. This is just catch up.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
The problem with what you're saying is that you can't provide a reason why it's not OK.

Personally. I think it's up to the states because it's not in the constitution. But..

Since you mentioned it and just for the sake of debate.

What would happen if everybody became gay ?

How would society produce children ? Other than using genetic manipulation.

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
Seems to me one of the purposes of marriage is to foster procreation, and last time I checked its impossible for a man to impregnate another man or a woman another woman. If society doesn't procreate what happens to it?

1) Your assumption about the 'purpose' of marriage is incorrect
2) Same-sex couples won't procreate any more or less if they get married. Same goes for het couples
3) You're confusing your units of analysis. Society can reproduce itself even if every family unit doesn't. Fallacy of composition
4) Idle speculation about society not reproducing itself is insignificant when it comes to a contemporary human rights issue which can be easily addressed.

Also, the definition of marriage is whatever people define it to be - there's no True Definition out there to be discovered.

lmao at this thread

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Tim Cook is gay? That's news to me. I guess I don't pay attention to Apple as much as I thought.
I usually pay no attention to hot-topic discussion threads, but when I poked my head in here to see how the reactions broke down, that was my exact reaction.

Regardless--and I think it has little if anything to do with the CEO's sexual orientation--I'm proud to see Apple as a company supporting something like this.

It's interesting that at least half of the publicly-traded companies listed in the article are technology companies. It sort of goes along with the general image that in the tech field very little matters--race, gender, sexual orientation--so long as you're good at what you do. At least down in the trenches that's certainly the way it seems to be.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009

Where is marriage defined as purely a motive to procreate?

No matter, same sex couples can adopt all of the children that straight couples illegitimately pop out before they can even reach marriage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.