Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

indian_flag-150x99.jpg
The Wall Street Journal reports on recent moves Apple has made to increase sales in India, one of the fastest growing markets in the world. Recently the company has launched the iTunes Store and the Apple TV there, and it was rumored that Apple Retail Stores were coming to the subcontinent as well.
Apple is sidestepping wireless carriers to seize greater control over marketing in India and offering no-interest loans to lure lower-income consumers. The company has also boosted staff in India by 30% to 170 employees in the past six months. And it is ramping up the introduction of other products, with the Apple TV video-streaming gadget expected to reach stores in coming weeks, people familiar with the matter say.

The result is that Apple shipped more than 252,000 iPhones to India in the quarter through December, more than triple the number in the previous three months, according to research firm Canalys.
India has frequently been mentioned when talking about Apple's possible development of a lower-cost iPhone, because most smartphone users in India use postpaid plans and pay for their phones up front, instead of the subsidization model that is used in the West.

The Journal quotes a number of experts saying that Apple will have to come out with a more inexpensive phone to compete with other manufacturers -- Samsung sells Android phones that start at $100, while the cheapest iPhones sell for $500 and a new iPhone 5 is close to $850.

Article Link: Apple Making Moves to Sell More iPhones in India

SAIRUS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
Apple, release the low-cost iPhone & watch sales rocket!

Also watch the image of Apple possibly releasing high class products start to tank.

With division of class in India (yes I'm Indian), I'm sure they could appeal with their current prices as a high status item.

Now if the chaiwala has an iPhone...

AnorexicPig

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Winnipeg,Canada
The apple brand has such a huge cache in India,just a phone for even 350$ will send the sales through the roof.It will certainly take the major chunk of the mid-segment phone market. Go :apple: :cool:

----------

Also watch the image of Apple possibly releasing high class products start to tank.

With division of class in India (yes I'm Indian), I'm sure they could appeal with their current prices as a high status item.

Now if the chaiwala has an iPhone...

While I totally agree with the division of class and status symbol thing in India (Indian here as well) but even at 350$ (estimated) it will be fairly upper middle class-see how samsung has built a fan following for high class S3 and Note 2 despite them making dumb phones as well.

PS-Don't think people here will understand 'chaiwala' :p
----------

Last edited:

macguy360

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2011
But who will Indians call for customer service?

Do you think they get mad when they get transferred to customer service in another country?

Random indian customer "Bah, I hate when I get American customer support"

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Apple doesn't "have to" do anything. They "choose to" do what forwards their goals of "delighting people", at a profit suitable for a public stock company with margin and growth expectations.

Expectations that are not represented in the current price or P/E ratio.

Want low margin widely dominant Apple products? Encourage them to go private.

Rocketman

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
PS-Don't think people here will understand 'chaiwala'

I'd already dragged it into Wikipedia before I got to your post....

Although, you're right that many people are too lazy (or stupid) to spend a few seconds looking up an unfamiliar term, and instead will spend a few more seconds asking about it here.

AnorexicPig

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Winnipeg,Canada
What does chaiwala mean? :confused:

It's the person who runs a tea-stall,a cup of tea generally costs around 20 cents.They are considered low-class people.

I'd already dragged it into Wikipedia before I got to your post....

Although, you're right that many people are too lazy (or stupid) to spend a few seconds looking up an unfamiliar term, and instead will spend a few more seconds asking about it here.

yeah lol.

Someone who gets your tea for you. Aka a servant aka lower class.

NOPES-see above.Servant is 'naukar'-Hindi class going on here folks :D

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
But who will Indians call for customer service?

Do you think they get mad when they get transferred to customer service in another country?

Random indian customer "Bah, I hate when I get American customer support"

In Apple's case, you wait for 30 minutes for an American representative. Microsoft just hooks you up to India instantly. Indians better hope Apple does for them what MS does! XD

Apple customer support was wonderful until the iPhone came out. Now it's bogged down with every idiot out there asking how to open Internet Explorer.

Applefanboy8153

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2012
India is the 2nd largest market, samsung's crappy note 2 which is priced at about 700 dollars sells twice the number as iphone 5s. Reasons?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.