Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aspencrown

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2013
Hello there!

As the title of the thread suggests, my partition for Windows via Bootcamp has up and vanished...

I was trying to increase the partition size via Camptune, though the program froze my computer solid and gave me no other option than to force reset. When I did, I found that my Windows partition was no longer found.

I tried restarting, shutting down, repairing permissions from Utilities, booting from the Recovery HD and repairing permissions and running a Disk Check (came back clean). There is still no sign of the partition and it does not seem to show up when I look at the partition tab when I look at my hard drive.

I did try to read through a few other threads that are like this, but for the sake of caution since Terminal gave me different results...

I inputted this via Terminal:
sudo gpt -r -vv show disk0
The results I received are:

gpt show: disk0: mediasize=1000204886016; sectorsize=512; blocks=1953525168
gpt show: disk0: Suspicious MBR at sector 0
gpt show: disk0: Pri GPT at sector 1
gpt show: disk0: Sec GPT at sector 1953525167
start size index contents
0 1 MBR
1 1 Pri GPT header
2 32 Pri GPT table
34 6
40 409600 1 GPT part - C12A7328-F81F-11D2-BA4B-00A0C93EC93B
409640 1754688896 2 GPT part - 48465300-0000-11AA-AA11-00306543ECAC
1755098536 600
1755099136 1269536 3 GPT part - 426F6F74-0000-11AA-AA11-00306543ECAC
1756368672 197156463
1953525135 32 Sec GPT table
1953525167 1 Sec GPT header

Is this at all the correct way to go about this? I'd appreciate any help!

Thanks in advance.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
There is a line in there which says it all:

If you add the next line in Disk Utilities plist file it will show you all partitions.

File to Edit: com.apple.DiskUtility.plist in your Home Library

Add:
DUShowEveryPartition
then For type: Boolean : checkmark on (1 or Yes)

Aspencrown

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2013
Thanks, JustPerry.

Though, I will be frank, I am rather rubbish with doing Terminal commands so I am not seeing where to do what you instructed...

Could you break it down a little bit more? Sorry for the request for additional handholding, but I appreciate the help.

Aspencrown

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2013
Anyone?

I have looked everywhere to try and do what was suggested to me, but I have no idea how to do it. I cannot locate the Disk Utility PList that was mentioned before, so I cannot change it.

Edit:

I did look through Console and found some interesting messages, though. Adding them just in case they might be useful:

2/25/13 5:45:52.152 PM System Preferences: OSXCheck: disk appears to be a valid OS X disk Volume Name: Macintosh HD. Kind: DADiskRef disk0s2.
ContextualData: {
ProductBuildVersion = 11G63b;
ProductCopyright = "1983-2012 Apple Inc.";
ProductName = "Mac OS X";
ProductVersion = "10.7.5";
SystemFolderPath = "/System/Library/CoreServices";
SystemVersionMajor = 10;
kSDSelectDiskOnAddIfValid = 0;
}
2/25/13 5:45:52.153 PM System Preferences:

-[SDController(VolumeEvents) _volumeAppeared:]: DADiskRef 0x400311ea0 disk0s3
2/25/13 5:45:52.156 PM System Preferences: No mount point (Apple_Boot)

Last edited:

murphychris

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2012
The easiest thing to do is to repartition the drive with a single partition (in Disk Utility, partitions tab, change scheme from Current to 1 Partition; and then restore from OS X backup; re-run Boot Camp Assistant to create the Boot Camp partition and restore from Windows backup.

The problem with merely fixing what you have, is that it's in an ambiguous state, and therefore there's no single course of action that automated tools will arrive at. Fixing this may not be possible, and attempting to fix this might make the problem worse. So in any case hopefully you have backups.

It would be interesting to see the output from:

Code:
sudo fdisk /dev/disk0

And also install gdisk and report the output from:

Code:
sudo gdisk -l /dev/disk0

----------

There is a line in there which says it all:

This is actually normal for Boot Camped drives. A GPT drive has a Protective MBR, also called a PMBR, which is an MBR with a single partition entry, type EE, that has a start and end sector covering the entire disk. It's meant to indicate to MBR applications that the entire disk is reserved and shouldn't be modified. Type EE is the code to indicate that the disk is a GPT disk, and the GPT should be used instead of the MBR. Boot Camp modifies the MBR to add additional entries, making it no longer a PMBR but a hybrid MBR. The hybrid MBR is non-standard, and because there are two partition maps on one drive, can result in ambiguous descriptive state of the disk. So the gpt utility is merely noting that the MBR is not a PMBR.

Aspencrown

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2013
Here is what I got...

GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 0.8.6

Partition table scan:
MBR: hybrid
BSD: not present
APM: not present
GPT: present

Found valid GPT with hybrid MBR; using GPT.
Disk /dev/disk0: 1953525168 sectors, 931.5 GiB
Logical sector size: 512 bytes
Disk identifier (GUID): 000022E2-2DAD-0000-A663-00009F3B0000
Partition table holds up to 128 entries
First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 1953525134
Partitions will be aligned on 8-sector boundaries
Total free space is 197157069 sectors (94.0 GiB)

Number Start (sector) End (sector) Size Code Name
1 40 409639 200.0 MiB EF00 EFI system partition
2 409640 1755098535 836.7 GiB AF00 Customer
3 1755099136 1756368671 619.9 MiB AB00 Recovery HD

Also, in response to your previous comment, did you mean restore my ENTIRE HD?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Thanks, JustPerry.

Though, I will be frank, I am rather rubbish with doing Terminal commands so I am not seeing where to do what you instructed...

Could you break it down a little bit more? Sorry for the request for additional handholding, but I appreciate the help.

I just attach mine, because I don't think you have Developer tools installed, you could edit the plist before in an older OS X version with TextEdit just fine but I see it's not so easy anymore.
You should place this in /Users/****/Library/Preferences (Folder), I would recommend you to keep the old file for a bit, if this file works you then can delete the old one.
If you don't see your Library which is default on Lion and Mountain Lion you can click on Go-Go To Folder... in the menu bar and paste the above path.
**** is your User name

Note: It's zipped, could not attach the bare file.

This is actually normal for Boot Camped drives. A GPT drive has a Protective MBR, also called a PMBR, which is an MBR with a single partition entry, type EE, that has a start and end sector covering the entire disk. It's meant to indicate to MBR applications that the entire disk is reserved and shouldn't be modified. Type EE is the code to indicate that the disk is a GPT disk, and the GPT should be used instead of the MBR. Boot Camp modifies the MBR to add additional entries, making it no longer a PMBR but a hybrid MBR. The hybrid MBR is non-standard, and because there are two partition maps on one drive, can result in ambiguous descriptive state of the disk. So the gpt utility is merely noting that the MBR is not a PMBR.

Good to know, I did not know this, cheers.

Attachments

• com.apple.DiskUtility.plist.zip
    2.3 KB · Views: 269

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Also, Disk Utility only shows GPT entries. It won't show you the state of the MBR. Therefore when troubleshooting Boot Camp'd drives, Disk Utility is essentially useless.

What about after I installed Paragon NTFS, it seems to repair without problem.
BTW, I did not use bootcamp to install W7, I resized it to have 3 partitions and then installed W7 and Linux.

Edit: I still have to download the W7 drivers though and need bootcamp for that, or I might find them directly on Apple's site.

Aspencrown

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2013
You're confused. Please try again:

Code:
sudo fdisk /dev/disk0

Fair enough! Here is what I have.

Code:
Disk: /dev/disk0	geometry: 121601/255/63 [1953525168 sectors]
Signature: 0xAA55
         Starting       Ending
 #: id  cyl  hd sec -  cyl  hd sec [     start -       size]
------------------------------------------------------------------------
 1: EE    0   0   2 -   25   6  46 [         1 -     409639] <Unknown ID>
 2: AF   25   6  47 - 1023  51  27 [    409640 - 1754688896] HFS+        
 3: AB 1023  53  54 - 1023  40   8 [1755099136 -    1269536] Darwin Boot 
 4: 00    0   0   0 -    0   0   0 [         0 -          0] unused

murphychris

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2012
Fair enough! Here is what I have.
Code:
4: 00    0   0   0 -    0   0   0 [         0 -          0] unused

Unfortunately, the MBR also lacks an entry for a Windows partition.

If you bought Camptune, I'd be talking to their tech support about this until they give up. I haven't ever used Camptune, but I'd like to believe it creates a log file of everything it's doing, including recording the state of the two partition maps before resize, all of the parameters of the resize, whether the resize was actually completed correctly, and some indication why the MBR and GPT are totally valid and synchronized yet lack a Windows entry. The very last part is interesting because the fact neither the MBR nor the two GPT tables are corrupt, but both also lack the Windows entry that certainly was there before the resize.

But you don't say how long you waited from the time the resize started and computer become unresponsive to the time you did the reset.

So your first step is to contact Paragon about this experience and see what assistance they can offer, because your system is in between states and really only they can have an idea what that might be.

The alternatives: 1.) start over entirely from scratch (blow away OS X and Windows, repartition with 1 single partition in Disk Utility, restore OS X, resize with Boot Camp Assistant, reinstall Windows, restore Windows data); 2.) Go down a rabbit hole trying to find the start of this NTFS volume, which is still on your disk, add the proper partition entries, see if NTFS-3G's ntfsresize utility recognizes a valid NTFS volume, and if it is whether the volume size matches the size of the partition, if not the NTFS volume needs to be resized to match, and then do repairs with Windows' chkdsk /f from the Windows DVD.

----------

What about after I installed Paragon NTFS, it seems to repair without problem.

That doesn't enable Disk Utility to display the state of the MBR. The MBR is a partition table. The GPT is a partition table. There should be only one or the other; albeit the convention is if GPT is used, the disk also has an MBR with a "fake" entry that claims all disk sectors are allocated (to partition type ID xEE, the cod for GPT), which I described before.

But Boot Camp creates a hybrid MBR, which is an MBR whose first entry is xEE, but it also has additional entries (for a total of four possible entries), so in effect the disk has two partition maps. And Disk Utility only shows partition information from the GPT, if present, and ignores the MBR.

What Paragon is probably adding that lets Disk Utility do some repairs is an fsck for NTFS. But I haven't used Paragon NTFS, so that's speculation on my part.

BTW, I did not use bootcamp to install W7, I resized it to have 3 partitions and then installed W7 and Linux.

You resized what, using what?

Aspencrown

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2013
Unfortunately, the MBR also lacks an entry for a Windows partition.

If you bought Camptune, I'd be talking to their tech support about this until they give up. I haven't ever used Camptune, but I'd like to believe it creates a log file of everything it's doing, including recording the state of the two partition maps before resize, all of the parameters of the resize, whether the resize was actually completed correctly, and some indication why the MBR and GPT are totally valid and synchronized yet lack a Windows entry. The very last part is interesting because the fact neither the MBR nor the two GPT tables are corrupt, but both also lack the Windows entry that certainly was there before the resize.

But you don't say how long you waited from the time the resize started and computer become unresponsive to the time you did the reset.

So your first step is to contact Paragon about this experience and see what assistance they can offer, because your system is in between states and really only they can have an idea what that might be.

The alternatives: 1.) start over entirely from scratch (blow away OS X and Windows, repartition with 1 single partition in Disk Utility, restore OS X, resize with Boot Camp Assistant, reinstall Windows, restore Windows data); 2.) Go down a rabbit hole trying to find the start of this NTFS volume, which is still on your disk, add the proper partition entries, see if NTFS-3G's ntfsresize utility recognizes a valid NTFS volume, and if it is whether the volume size matches the size of the partition, if not the NTFS volume needs to be resized to match, and then do repairs with Windows' chkdsk /f from the Windows DVD.

1) Wait Time: I was letting Camptune run for about 25 minutes, which made no progress, then when I was trying to close a window in another program it locked up my computer tight. Nothing I clicked, pushed, or did helped it - my mouse eventually stopped functioning.

2) I contacted Paragon and I am still awaiting a response. I am...not expecting them to be timely at all with this, but we'll see.

3) I'm most likely going to go ahead and just wipe my hard drive and start from scratch. While it will take a while to do, I feel more comfortable about doing that over "going down a rabbit hole" and doing things I don't fully understand. Plus, I've read your stuff and I find you really knowledgable - and if you are seeming to say that it's looking mighty grim, then them's the breaks.

murphychris

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2012
1) Wait Time: I was letting Camptune run for about 25 minutes, which made no progress

Filesystems are designed to resize from the end point, not the start. The HFSJ resize goes pretty quickly because it's resized as designed, from the end point which is moving forward to a lower LBA (shrinking). The NTFS volume on the other hand, has no room to grow because it's already at the end of the disk. So first it has to be relocated. Then it can be resized. And this could take hours.

I'd say mistake #1 is doing anything at all while running Camptune. I have no idea what their instructions are, but my expectation would be to rebuild the catalog b-tree for the OS X volume before starting, which is an offline rebuild (you can boot in single user mode to do this); and run chkdsk /f to force a full traversal of the NTFS file system, rather than merely trusting the journal. Then reboot, and only run Camptune to resize.

Mistake #2 is getting impatient, even when it appears frozen. Doing nothing wastes 2-3 hours. But interrupting a file system resize process invariably corrupts the file system being resized.

Without logs that clearly indicate what was going on at the time it was interrupted (either by crashing, or by being force shut down), there's no way to know the state of the NTFS file system, it would probably take exhaustive work to figure it out. If it was in the middle of moving the file system when the interruption occurred, practically speaking it's toast.

2) I contacted Paragon and I am still awaiting a response. I am...not expecting them to be timely at all with this, but we'll see.

I'd call them and report back.

if you are seeming to say that it's looking mighty grim, then them's the breaks.

It is grim, but wheter tedious grim or impossibly grim, depends on whether there are Camptune logs and if they show where the interruption occurred.

Aspencrown

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2013
Filesystems are designed to resize from the end point, not the start. The HFSJ resize goes pretty quickly because it's resized as designed, from the end point which is moving forward to a lower LBA (shrinking). The NTFS volume on the other hand, has no room to grow because it's already at the end of the disk. So first it has to be relocated. Then it can be resized. And this could take hours.

I'd say mistake #1 is doing anything at all while running Camptune. I have no idea what their instructions are, but my expectation would be to rebuild the catalog b-tree for the OS X volume before starting, which is an offline rebuild (you can boot in single user mode to do this); and run chkdsk /f to force a full traversal of the NTFS file system, rather than merely trusting the journal. Then reboot, and only run Camptune to resize.

Mistake #2 is getting impatient, even when it appears frozen. Doing nothing wastes 2-3 hours. But interrupting a file system resize process invariably corrupts the file system being resized.

Without logs that clearly indicate what was going on at the time it was interrupted (either by crashing, or by being force shut down), there's no way to know the state of the NTFS file system, it would probably take exhaustive work to figure it out. If it was in the middle of moving the file system when the interruption occurred, practically speaking it's toast.

*Nods* I understand.

Good news, I heard back from Paragon and they are trying to troubleshoot. Some of the help I am receiving is close to what you have said, but I am posting for the sake of posterity.

Hello,

When I was trying to increase the partition size to run programs in Windows, it took a very long time and ended up freezing in mid process. I had no choice but to force quit and doing so completely wiped my ability to access my partition. I have had assistance in the MacRumors forum by someone who's a bit of a Terminal guru who told me that the partition still -exists- but it is no longer chained to my computer in a way that is accessible.

I have been advised to reach out to you to see if Camptune has any sort of logging diagnostic that may better discern what happened.

Thank you.

Thank you for request.

I see two possible reasons for Windows has become unbootable.

1. MBR and GPT partitioning schemes are not suncronised.
Please download Refit utility from the following link:
http://refit.sourceforge.net/

rEFIt 0.14 (6.5M Mac disk image)

Right-click on the file in Finder and choose Open in - Disk Utility.
Choose the file in Disk Utility on the left and click "Burn"
Do not forget to insert a blank CD

Boot from the burned CD and choose "Start Partitioning Tool" option. Press "y" when mbr update is offered.

2. Your Windows partition does not have activity flag on it.

sudo fdisk -e /dev/disk0
(Enter)

flag 4
(Enter)
Partition 4 marked active.

write
(Enter)
y
(Enter)

Try to boot to Windows and check whether the issue persist.

Should the issue persist, please send me output of two following commands from Terminal (Applications - Utilities)

a) sudo gpt -r show disk0
b) sudo fdisk /dev/disk0

Thank you for cooperation in advance and looking forward to hearing back from you.

Hello,

Thank you for getting back to me! While I will look into the first suggestion soon, I want to show you what I get via Terminal as you requested.

ENTER: sudo fdisk -e /dev/disk0

I followed your instructions and was given this error before I continued: "fdisk: could not open MBR file /usr/standalone/i386/boot0: No such file or directory". Here are the results for the other codes.

ENTER: sudo gpt -r show disk0

0 1 MBR
1 1 Pri GPT header
2 32 Pri GPT table
34 6
409640 1754688896 2 GPT part - 48465300-0000-11AA-AA11-00306543ECAC
1755098536 600
1755099136 1269536 3 GPT part - 426F6F74-0000-11AA-AA11-00306543ECAC
1756368672 197156463
1953525135 32 Sec GPT table
1953525167 1 Sec GPT header

ENTER: sudo fdisk /dev/disk0

Disk: /dev/disk0 geometry: 121601/255/63 [1953525168 sectors]
Starting Ending
#: id cyl hd sec - cyl hd sec [ start - size]
1: EE 0 0 2 - 25 6 46 [ 1 - 409639]
2: AF 25 6 47 - 1023 51 27 [ 409640 - 1754688896] HFS+
3: AB 1023 53 54 - 1023 40 8 [1755099136 - 1269536] Darwin Boot
4: 00 0 0 0 - 0 0 0 [ 0 - 0] unused

When I am able, I will try your suggested first method to see if that improves anything.

Additional update!

I tried out rEFIT as you instructed, burned the program to a disk, and booted from the CD. When following the instructions, these are the results I was given:

Current GPT Partition Table

# Start LBA End LBA Type
1 40 405639 EFI System (FAT)
2 409640 1755098535 Mac OS X HFS+
3 1755099136 1756368671 Mac OS X BOOT

Current MBR Partition Table

# A Start LBA End LBA Type
1 40 405639 EE EFI Protective
2 * 409640 1755098535 AF Mac OS X HFS+
3 1755099136 1756368671 AB Mac OS X BOOT

No news on whether or not Camptune has a logging diagnostic, but I did ask the tech again.

murphychris

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2012
The problem is that the resize was interrupted, and you don't have a 4th partition entry at all for Windows. Resyncing isn't going to fix that. Neither the GPT nor the MBR have a Windows entry.

If the interruption occurred after resizing HFSJ, during the move of the NTFS file system, but before it was resized, recovery isn't possible with conventional tools. You'd need a serious expert or professional data recovery. In any other case it's much more likely one could find the current NTFS superblocks, and figure out an appropriate partition entry to make in the GPT, then create a new hybrid MBR.

This is why a log file is needed. Without it, the state is unknown and not so easy to figure out.

tonupi

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2010
bootcamp do not start

Hi all,
from yesterday i have a problem with my Bootcamp partition,

doesn't start anymore, i've tried some suggestion i've found here, and nov this is my situation.

Last login: Sat Mar 2 11:56:51 on console
MacBook-Pro-di-Simone-old:~ simonegaviglio$ sudo gpt -r show disk0
Password:
0 1 MBR
1 1 Pri GPT header
2 32 Pri GPT table
34 6
409640 207031248 2 GPT part - 48465300-0000-11AA-AA11-00306543ECAC
207440888 1269536 3 GPT part - 426F6F74-0000-11AA-AA11-00306543ECAC
208710424 1256
208711680 791502848 4 GPT part - EBD0A0A2-B9E5-4433-87C0-68B6B72699C7
1000214528 655
1000215183 32 Sec GPT table
1000215215 1 Sec GPT header
MacBook-Pro-di-Simone-old:~ simonegaviglio$ sudo fdisk /dev/disk0
Disk: /dev/disk0 geometry: 62260/255/63 [1000215216 sectors]
Starting Ending
#: id cyl hd sec - cyl hd sec [ start - size]
1: EE 1023 254 63 - 1023 254 63 [ 1 - 409639] <Unknown ID>
2: AF 1023 254 63 - 1023 254 63 [ 409640 - 207031248] HFS+
3: AB 1023 254 63 - 1023 254 63 [ 207440888 - 1269536] Darwin Boot
*4: 07 1023 254 63 - 1023 254 63 [ 208711680 - 791502848] HPFS/QNX/AUX

I really hope in a help.

Thank you in advance.

simone

----------

i forgot to say that from ML i can read and write on Bootcamp partition.

simone

UPDATE:

after rebooting twice , the bootcamp partition started ,

so thank you very much, i think refit recovered my corrupt mbr.

thank again

simone

Last edited:

murphychris

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2012
i have a problem with my Bootcamp partition

The problem isn't related to the MBR or GPT. They're in sync, and the Windows partition in the MBR has the active flag set. So it's something else. I suggest you run Windows Startup Repair.

tonupi

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2010
thank you for the answer,
the problem with that mac now is solved,

but i noticed that all my problems maybe are related with paragon ntfs
or paragon hfs+

i explain:
i've 2 mbp17 and 1 mac mini server
all 3 with ML 10.8.2 and bootcamp Windows 8

recently i installed paragon ntfs on all ML partition and paragon hfs+ on two win 8 partition , one win 8 on mbp17 uses MacDrive.

yesterday: two machine did not boot win mac partition and the other (the one with Mac Drive) did not boot Bootcamp partition, but with the help of this thread i solved the problem.

now i still have to machine that won't boot on mac partition (better to say that they boot with the apple and a loading bar , but after loading the mac switch off) , but from windows i can see and edit files on MacintoshHD.

Could you suggest me something to try before reinstall ML as suggested by RecoveryHD?

Thank in advance

simone

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
You resized what, using what?

Sorry to reply so late, didn't see it or overlooked in my MR Notifications.

I resized with Disk Utility (Macintosh HD while booted in OS X on Macintosh HD), I then created both a Windows and Linux USB stick and installed the OSes, I have no problem at all booting any of these, but, I do not see Linux in the Boot Manager, I have to click the Windows Disk and then get a sub Menu in the next screen with all of my partitions.

My output (btw) from fdisk /dev/disk0 is different than others here:

1: EE 1023 254 63 - 1023 254 63 [ 1 - 409639] <Unknown ID>
*2: AF 1023 254 63 - 1023 254 63 [ 409640 - 825168120] HFS+
3: AF 1023 254 63 - 1023 254 63 [ 825577760 - 1269536] HFS+
4: 07 1023 254 63 - 1023 254 63 [ 826849280 - 97376256] HPFS/QNX/AUX

#3 is not Darwin as the others

murphychris

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2012
all 3 with ML 10.8.2 and bootcamp Windows 8

The problem is Windows 8. It's not explicitly supported by Apple or by Paragon. Windows 8 by default modifies NTFS file systems in such a way that corruption is induced when a non-Windows 8 OS writes to that volume.

Could you suggest me something to try before reinstall ML as suggested by RecoveryHD?

No. Quite honestly I'm not understanding most of what you've written, I think there's some sort of language barrier occurring. And second, I haven't done any testing with Windows 8, nor do I use any of Paragon's software so I'm ill equipped to offer suggestions. You've paid for those products, you should direct inquiries for those products to those companies. Chances are they'll decline support since you're using an unsupported configuration. It's the sort of thing that happens to bleeding edgers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.