Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
My "misguided" belief rests in God's infallible perfect Word the Bible. From cover to cover the Bible is the Word of God. Not just Jesus words but the Bible as a whole. God is not "harming" His creation by condoning only heterosexual monogamous marriage. God (and there's only one) created the universe and therefore has full sovereign authority to tell us how it is to function.

Also two scripture references here explicitly state that homosexuality is sin.:
http://www.biblegateway.com/quicksearch/?quicksearch=homosexuality&qs_version=ESV

Also here is a website page with many articles filled with scripture stating God's case against homosexuality. I know no one will be mature enough to read any of them but I thought I'd post it for fun.
http://www.monergism.com/directory/link_category/Homosexuality/

How fun.

But all of that is completely meaningless to someone who doesn't share your faith. And since there are many in the U.S. who don't share your beliefs, there is no reason they should have to abide by your rules. The US is not a theocracy like Iran.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Total garbage.

By the way. I would never consider myself American. I will always consider myself African-American, as will many many other African Americans. We've still earned the citizenship and respect, but have also earned the name African American.

As someone who is part Black, I disagree.

What about someone who is white, born in S. Africa, Egypt, etc. and moved here, through one means or another, and started a family here. They are not black, especially in the sense of the S. African person.. Their offspring would then be called "African American".

In short, it shouldn't be a term delegated only to Blacks.

BL.

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
The vast majority of blacks in the USA are only partially black at this point. However 100% of them are USA American. NOT African-American at all. Let's at least give them the citizenship respect they have earned.

"Black" is just fine. By the way, not all blacks are African by descent, and not all Africans are black. Egyptians who have moved to the USA are African-American.

My black history teacher liked this sentence describing his white friend who has citizenship in Africa and the USA: "You're my favorite African-American."

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
So what makes sure that the the courts don't violate the constitution?

Time. Many of SCOTUS's early decisions regarding slavery were clearly unconstitutional, but the 1800's was a time period that lacked any sense of morality so it was accepted by society.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
As someone who is part Black, I disagree.

What about someone who is white, born in S. Africa, Egypt, etc. and moved here, through one means or another, and started a family here. They are not black, especially in the sense of the S. African person.. Their offspring would then be called "African American".

In short, it shouldn't be a term delegated only to Blacks.

BL.

And I totally agree with your statement, even though it had nothing to do with mine.

If you are part black, what do you consider yourself? My point is that person I quoted states that the "vast majority of blacks" are only partially black, and that we should call ourselves "American"

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
From a standpoint of freedom of choice I do agree that gay marriage should be legal.

However, I don't agree with publicly traded companies trying to sway politics outside of their purview and making stances that can hurt their sales thus their investors. If this was about software piracy or changes in technology patent regulation it would make sense to take a stance as the outcome can effect business.

That narrow view is done and over dude. Companies have responsibility to their employees, the communities they serve as well as the environment. "Investors" are only gambling on a probable increase in share price, and if they don't like the politics of a company, they shouldn't be gambling with its stock.

Corporate responsibility is real, don't dismiss it because you don't like it.

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
Total garbage.

By the way. I would never consider myself American. I will always consider myself African-American, as will many many other African Americans. We've still earned the citizenship and respect, but have also earned the name African American.

Then why are those of Asian descent in the USA considered "Asian", not "Asian-American"? (Variable)-American is nationality. You can be an Indian in France then move to Germany and be French-German. What's wrong with calling a black person "African" if you'd call a Chinese person "Asian"?

----------

My point is that the term marriage is religious in nature so the government should not be using it (separation of church and state). The government should rename the term marriage to "civil contract" or something like that for everyone and that it should be considered a secular civil contact between the two people (whatever they agree to). This will also get the government out of the argument.

I don't fully agree, but I'd be fine with this. The ends justify the means. I'd rather have politicians focus on important and relevant issues.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
"Black" is just fine. By the way, not all blacks are African by descent, and not all Africans are black. Egyptians who have moved to the USA are African-American.

My black history teacher liked this sentence describing his white friend who has citizenship in Africa and the USA: "You're my favorite African-American."

I think some folks don't know or don't care to understand why some use the term African American.

My Nigerian, Ghanian, and Liberian friends don't consider themselves African-American. They are Nigerian-American, Ghanian-American, and Liberian-American.

Some African-American's call themselves such because we can't trace our lineage back to our original countries. We call ourselves African American because we know we originate from African . . . nothing else.

Not that I am knocking anyone else who does. Just putting it out there.

In the end all humans are Africans by nature.

I don't want to derail the thread much more though, so I will resist the urge to dig deeper into the topic. :)

----------

Then why are those of Asian descent in the USA considered "Asian", not "Asian-American"? (Variable)-American is nationality. You can be an Indian in France then move to Germany and be French-German. What's wrong with calling a black person "African" if you'd call a Chinese person "Asian"

Nothing at all. I was never arguing that point. Just that the OP's comment stated the "vast majority" which I doubt he could prove and even if he did it was totally irrelevant to why he/she wanted to use the "N" word.

I don't fully agree, but I'd be fine with this. The ends justify the means. I'd rather have politicians focus on important and relevant issues.

I agree. Marriage issues are the least of this countries problems.

fpsBeaTt

Suspended
Apr 18, 2010
Get out more. There are plenty of atheists that are homophobes. Especially in Maryland which one would consider a pretty liberal state.

Really? I haven't met any. I'm sure there are some, but they have no ecumenical or other religious reason to disagree with it. The vast majority of those who reject and vilify gay marriage is unquestionably religious. Each of the three main monotheisms, being equal glimpses of a man-made untruth, condemn it.

Nope, I still think whites have the church beat by a large margin.

On the contrary; the majority of religious institutions, regardless of ethnicity, condemn it. In fact, per capita, predominantly black churches within the United States are even more homophobic than their counterparts in bigotry. Bigotry exists everywhere, not just within 'whites', as you say.

NO . . . NO We all should give a crap about the morality of another individual. If someone can't determine right from wrong then it's a serious problem for everyone. No one needs religion to determine right from wrong, and religion has nothing to do with morality.

Morality is a social/cultural issue, hence the reason for centuries of Jim Crow and Apartheid and other injustices that the world let happen.

I agree with most of that statement, however religious institutions in every example one can list, were (and still are) proponents of slavery and other immoralities/anti-humanisms. The Catholic Church had antisemitism as being part of official church doctrine until 1964, supported the growth of fascism before and during the second world war (parties of Islam have now procured that mantle), and the parties of god in Israel and Palestine are now exclusively the barriers to a peace settlement (both sides claiming they have a divine right to the entirety of it). I could go on.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
How fun.

But all of that is completely meaningless to someone who doesn't share your faith. And since there are many in the U.S. who don't share your beliefs, there is no reason they should have to abide by your rules. The US is not a theocracy like Iran.

First. I don't live in the US. Secondly they are not my rule they are God's rules. An eternally big difference.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
Basically, if it pisses off religious folks and republicans, you know it must be the right/moral thing to do.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Really? I haven't met any. I'm sure there are some, but they have no ecumenical or other religious reason to disagree with it. The vast majority of those who reject and vilify gay marriage is unquestionably religious. Each of the three main monotheisms, being equal glimpses of a man-made untruth, condemn it.

Oh they exist. The problem with many folks, especially on these forums, is that they fail to understands that folk will hate you for any simple reason. That's unquestionably the truth.

On the contrary; the majority of religious institutions, regardless of ethnicity, condemn it. In fact, per capita, predominantly black churches within the United States are even more homophobic than their counterparts in bigotry. Bigotry exists everywhere, not just within 'whites', as you say.

That doesn't negate my statement. And to add to the statement above, homosexuals I've found are far more close minded when it comes to being tolerant. That's my opinion on the matter however.

I agree with most of that statement, however religious institutions in every example one can list, were (and still are) proponents of slavery and other immoralities/anti-humanisms. The Catholic Church had antisemitism as being part of official church doctrine until 1964, supported the growth of fascism before and during the second world war (parties of Islam have now procured that mantle), and the parties of god in Israel and Palestine are now exclusively the barriers to a peace settlement (both sides claiming they have a divine right to the entirety of it). I could go on.

Religion dealt with the matters at hand, slavery being one of them, and even in the Christian Bible (which used slavery as an analogy to one's relationship to God) only reflected what was the status quo.

On the other hand, slavery in those times leading up to the African slave trade, was no where near as barbaric and racially stirred. Whites in American, religious or not, looked at African slaves as sub-human. Even African tribes that enslaved other tribes knew they people they were hurting where the same as them.

The Catholic church is still predominantly a European entity, so the point really still stands.

Last note, it was the black church that many slaves found homage, and the black church that supported the early Civil Rights movement. Religion is a tool, the people make of it what they will.

Was he banned?

Part of me hopes so. He was notorious for clubbing folks over the head if you didn't agree with him, and insulting folks that believed something different as well.

Bigotry goes both ways, and he was the perfect example of that.

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
I suppose the Westboro Baptist Church would call Apple 'fag-enablers' now.

Good on ya, Apple. It's time to move forward.

I'm sure they will be protesting an Apple store sometime soon. And posting their hate messages from their iPhones.

----------

Ugh I think it is thread closing time.

Especially when you hear the age old 'my god is the one true god and my faith is the one true faith'.

By your command....

Schmitty11

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2011
My "misguided" belief rests in God's infallible perfect Word the Bible. From cover to cover the Bible is the Word of God. Not just Jesus words but the Bible as a whole. God is not "harming" His creation by condoning only heterosexual monogamous marriage. God (and there's only one) created the universe and therefore has full sovereign authority to tell us how it is to function.

Also two scripture references here explicitly state that homosexuality is sin.:
http://www.biblegateway.com/quicksearch/?quicksearch=homosexuality&qs_version=ESV

Also here is a website page with many articles filled with scripture stating God's case against homosexuality. I know no one will be mature enough to read any of them but I thought I'd post it for fun.
http://www.monergism.com/directory/link_category/Homosexuality/

So with that logic you think things like tattoos and wearing a shirt made from two fabrics are sins too?

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
The role of a Christian religion in gay marriage is actually hillarious.
Women were still defined as property by the church until the women's right movement.

The bible defines marriage as "a man owning a woman as a piece of property."
The bible says you can rape a woman, but you must marry her or pay the father money for damaging HIS property.
The bible says you can have as many wives as you like, but your wife should be killed if she commits adultery.

No where does the bible define marriage between one man and one woman.

The standard vows read at a wedding? Barely a hundred years old, written in modern times.

The truth is, government and law has shaped and defined what marriage is, not the church. 100 years ago, a woman wasn't allowed to get divorced, vote, etc.

I'm fine with churches not allowing gays to wed in their buildings, but that doesn't mean they can't wed elsewhere.

Yet the church has no problems hiding child molesters and committing crimes against humanity daily.

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
In my honest opinion, I believe this should and shouldn't pass. I believe it should pass because we are all equal and everyone should be able to marry who they want, it's their lives. I also believe this shouldn't go through because I'm a Christian myself and it's a sin to marry the same sex. But, my current position is "I don't care if this bill gets passed or not. (Basically neutral)." That is my "two cents".

:)

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
Not entirely true. While we (those of us involved in the scientific study of human sexuality) don't know the exact amount of variance accounted for by genetic endowment and environmental influence, we do know (at least with men) that gay affectional orientation is no more a choice than heterosexual affectional orientation. I didn't choose to be straight, I "discovered' it.

One might use the analogy of left handedness. We know that a certain percentage of the population is left handed, and expectable variation in later dominance. So, too, is gay affectional orientation...and expected variation (NOT deviation) of affectional orientation.

It is also the case that affectional orientation are very plastic...not necessarily set in stone for life. But that is a very involved discussion for another time.

Suffice it to say that there is an enormous field of scientific study involved in studying the basis of affectional orientation, and although we are far from certain of the "cause" of heterosexuality, or gay affectional preference, we are not totally ignorant on the subject, either

Well said... and no one would choose to be gay. Unless they enjoy fearing losing everyone they love, being bashed, called names, afraid, suffer self esteem issues, etc. most of their lives until they finally don't giv ea **** what other people think in adulthood.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Oh they exist. The problem with many folks, especially on these forums, is that they fail to understands that folk will hate you for any simple reason. That's unquestionably the truth.

That doesn't negate my statement. And to add to the statement above, homosexuals I've found are far more close minded when it comes to being tolerant. That's my opinion on the matter however.

Religion dealt with the matters at hand, slavery being one of them, and even in the Christian Bible (which used slavery as an analogy to one's relationship to God) only reflected what was the status quo.

On the other hand, slavery in those times leading up to the African slave trade, was no where near as barbaric and racially stirred. Whites in American, religious or not, looked at African slaves as sub-human. Even African tribes that enslaved other tribes knew they people they were hurting where the same as them.

The Catholic church is still predominantly a European entity, so the point really still stands.

Last note, it was the black church that many slaves found homage, and the black church that supported the early Civil Rights movement. Religion is a tool, the people make of it what they will.

Part of me hopes so. He was notorious for clubbing folks over the head if you didn't agree with him, and insulting folks that believed something different as well.

Bigotry goes both ways, and he was the perfect example of that.
Wait are you saying homosexuals should be tolerant of those who would view them as second class citizens? Or that they should tolerate oppression from the majority because thats what the majority believes? Black people didnt tolerate it why should anyone else? You should clarify that statement because you left it wide open for interpretation.

On another topic, the whole nature vs nurture arguments for being gay are kinda pointless as far as people being able to choose the person they want to marry.

Last edited:

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
In my honest opinion, I believe this should and shouldn't pass. I believe it should pass because we are all equal and everyone should be able to marry who they want, it's their lives. I also believe this shouldn't go through because I'm a Christian myself and it's a sin to marry the same sex. But, my current position is "I don't care if this bill gets passed or not. (Basically neutral)." That is my "two cents".

:)

Yay, same (kinda). I'd only vote no because the gay rights organizations try to force me and others to vote yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.