Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 13, 2012, 07:07 PM   #1
peanutismint
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Cardiff, UK
Best USB hub?

I have a lot of external USB devices, all power-hungry.

My Macbook Pro has 2 x USB ports, plus Firewire 800 and Thunderbolt.

I'm wondering what people's favourite USB hubs are, ones that consistently deliver enough power etc. I've bought several in the past but none have seemed to deliver enough bandwidth/power to all of my devices at once. I don't know whether it's a case of just buying a more expensive hub or if I'm always going to have these problems. I'd have hoped that with each device requiring no more than 5V each, a hub connected to mains power would be able to supply more than enough, but clearly that doesn't seem to be the case. I've yet to experience any bandwidth problems as I don't tend to use more than one hard drive at once (plus I have one hard drive connected via firewire).

I'd ideally need to power around 8 external USB devices at the same time (hard drives, keyboard, surround headphones, audio interface, MIDI keyboard, iPhone dock etc...)


Any suggestions??
Is there a hub that can utilise my Firewire port for USB or is that impossible?
peanutismint is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2012, 12:13 AM   #2
Quad5Ny
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
I personaly have this hub - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DBF07S

It's almost fully loaded and works just fine (although not all of the devices have high power draw).
Quad5Ny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2012, 06:13 AM   #3
fhall1
macrumors 68020
 
fhall1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NY State of mind
I use this one - http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Hi-Spee...7080250&sr=1-4

I've had it for years and it's been fine for everything I've connected to it.

Never heard of a "Firewire USB hub"
__________________
2012 2.3GHz i7 Mini, 16GB RAM; 2009 2.93 GHz C2D iMac, 8GB RAM, GT120 GPU
1.83 GHz CD Mini, 2GB RAM, 200GB HD; 1.25 GHz 17" G4 iMac, 2GB RAM, 128GB SSD
64GB Silver iPhone 5s, 64GB White iPad Air
fhall1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2012, 08:29 AM   #4
drsox
macrumors 65816
 
drsox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Xhystos
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhall1 View Post
I use this one - http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Hi-Spee...7080250&sr=1-4

I've had it for years and it's been fine for everything I've connected to it.

Never heard of a "Firewire USB hub"
I had one of these and I'm looking for a replacement. Why ? Because the transformer in the plug "whistles" - lots of electronic hi pitched buzz.
It's in a power train with 3 other transformer plugs - none of them buzz. If you are sensitive to this - avoid it.
drsox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2012, 11:20 AM   #5
peanutismint
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Cardiff, UK
Thanks guys - strangely enough just after I posted this I got a great deal on that exact Belkin one on eBay - bit worried about the transformer whine now!! I get that from some of my other plugs already....bad capacitors perhaps??
peanutismint is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2012, 11:28 AM   #6
fhall1
macrumors 68020
 
fhall1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NY State of mind
Mine doesn't buzz, but these have a Belkin lifetime warranty - try contacting Belkin and see if they'll send you a new power brick.
__________________
2012 2.3GHz i7 Mini, 16GB RAM; 2009 2.93 GHz C2D iMac, 8GB RAM, GT120 GPU
1.83 GHz CD Mini, 2GB RAM, 200GB HD; 1.25 GHz 17" G4 iMac, 2GB RAM, 128GB SSD
64GB Silver iPhone 5s, 64GB White iPad Air
fhall1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2012, 04:10 PM   #7
drsox
macrumors 65816
 
drsox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Xhystos
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutismint View Post
Thanks guys - strangely enough just after I posted this I got a great deal on that exact Belkin one on eBay - bit worried about the transformer whine now!! I get that from some of my other plugs already....bad capacitors perhaps??
I had thought it was a problem with ageing but the Belkin is only a few months old. By contrast an HP brick is several years old and is quiet. I'm of the opinion that it is a design issue as I've never been happy with Belkin's cheap approaches.

I'll have a go at Belkin wrt the brick, but prior experience is not a good omen. I had the same problem w a Netgear switch but I got a replacement without any aggro.
drsox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012, 09:49 AM   #8
GS Owner
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Harrisburg, PA
I picked up a generic, in house USB 2.0 seven plug hub at Staples. It even has their brand name on it.

The fun part is that it originally came with its own power source. But as I mainly use it to plug in my mouse and one or more thumb drives I quickly unplugged the transformer and just let it use system power. It has never failed me.
__________________
Apple ][ GS Power!
GS Owner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 09:59 AM   #9
mustang_dvs
macrumors 6502a
 
mustang_dvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Durham, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhall1 View Post
I use this one - http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Hi-Spee...7080250&sr=1-4

I've had it for years and it's been fine for everything I've connected to it.
I purchased four of the dark gray version of this hub. They're garbage. But they're warrantied for life.

All four died over the course of 12 months of light use. All four of the replacements died with 18 months of receipt. And, last week, one of the most recent batch of replacements (received in November) failed without warning.
__________________
2.93GHz MacPro 5,1 | 2.6GHz MBP 9,1 | 1.2GHz Cube | 2x 2GHz Mini 2,1 | 160GB iPod | 32GB iPhone 6,1
DVSmith.net | thePhotosmith.com
mustang_dvs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 11:38 AM   #10
Destroysall
macrumors 65816
 
Destroysall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: United States
Here's one from Newegg that has the most ratings given to.

Here's another one which looks awesome!
Destroysall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 01:12 PM   #11
darkprints
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Question: If you have a mix of devices (3.0, 2.0, 1.1) on a 3.0 hub, will all of the devices run at their max. speed, or do all the devices run at the speed of the slowest device? i.e., will everything default to 1.1?




[I posted this question on another thread, but got no response.]
darkprints is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 01:35 PM   #12
AlanShutko
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang_dvs View Post
I purchased four of the dark gray version of this hub. They're garbage. But they're warrantied for life.

All four died over the course of 12 months of light use. All four of the replacements died with 18 months of receipt. And, last week, one of the most recent batch of replacements (received in November) failed without warning.
I had the same problem with my two Belkins. I didn't bother to use the warranty, since I didn't want another disposable unit. Switched to a different brand...
AlanShutko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2012, 02:06 AM   #13
yensteel
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Currently I'm using this USB 3.0 hub, even though my computer doesn't have USB 3.0. It works fine still.

It's not connected to USB 3.0, not sure about the full throttle for 2.0 and 1.1 drives.

http://www.geekalerts.com/usb-3-hub/
yensteel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2012, 05:12 AM   #14
drsox
macrumors 65816
 
drsox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Xhystos
I binned the Belkin one and now have a DLink one : D-Link DUB-H7 (USB2.0) HUB. See : http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DUB-H7-.../dp/B00008VFAF

No noise and more ergonomic to use. Pity it's not in white.
drsox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 02:33 AM   #15
peaz
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
I just thought I'd share what I've recently found. http://www.atpeaz.com/index.php/2013...r-macbook-pro/



It's possible the best USB hub I've found for the MacBook Pro in terms of the form factor. The only downside is the USB 2.0 support only. But my current MBP is the Mid-2010 model, so that's not a problem for me.

But what I love is the ability to just leave it on the MBP all the time without needing the take it off to store your MBP in your bag. And its rotates around also does not block any of ports when you need access to them.
peaz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 04:15 AM   #16
el-John-o
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkprints View Post
Question: If you have a mix of devices (3.0, 2.0, 1.1) on a 3.0 hub, will all of the devices run at their max. speed, or do all the devices run at the speed of the slowest device? i.e., will everything default to 1.1?




[I posted this question on another thread, but got no response.]
I've never heard of that, I'm certainly not aware of any slowdown when using 'slow' devices. Each device should operate at their own speed.
__________________
Windows7 PC - Phenom II 965@4GHz x4 Cores, 16GB DDR3-2133, Radeon HD7970 | iPhone 5 32GB | iPad Air WiFi+LTE 128GB | Mid 2012 MacBook Pro 13", Dual 256GB SSD's in RAID 0, 16GB DDR3-1600
el-John-o is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:31 PM   #17
cincygolfgrrl
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaz View Post
I just thought I'd share what I've recently found. http://www.atpeaz.com/index.php/2013...r-macbook-pro/

Image

It's possible the best USB hub I've found for the MacBook Pro in terms of the form factor... And its rotates around also does not block any of ports when you need access to them.
Where did you buy it? There doesn't appear to be an English language option to purchase link on the Japanese Web site.
cincygolfgrrl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 10:33 AM   #18
peaz
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincygolfgrrl View Post
Where did you buy it? There doesn't appear to be an English language option to purchase link on the Japanese Web site.
Sorry, I just saw your message. I posted a link (http://j.mp/elecomusb2) in my blog post somewhere a the bottom. Maybe I should have made it a little more prominent.

Personally, I bought it at Best Denki locally here where i live in Singapore. It goes for about $20 SGD per pop.
peaz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 11:26 AM   #19
misterbig
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaz View Post
Sorry, I just saw your message. I posted a link (http://j.mp/elecomusb2) in my blog post somewhere a the bottom. Maybe I should have made it a little more prominent.

Personally, I bought it at Best Denki locally here where i live in Singapore. It goes for about $20 SGD per pop.
Thanks for this gem of a find! I will try to pick up one of these babies when I'm back in Singapore next month.
misterbig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2013, 12:00 AM   #20
Domx9
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
3.0 USB port is a must nowadays. I got this one with an AC adapter so I could plug into a wall and charge like a normal way. A plus, isn't it? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DKOVVR4
Domx9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2013, 07:19 PM   #21
diodati
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: ny
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang_dvs View Post
I purchased four of the dark gray version of this hub. They're garbage. But they're warrantied for life.

All four died over the course of 12 months of light use. All four of the replacements died with 18 months of receipt. And, last week, one of the most recent batch of replacements (received in November) failed without warning.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/350951400590?lpid=82

----------

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/350951400590?lpid=82 I have this belkin electricity usage checker ,I smell a burnt plastic smell when I use it. Do not like the quality. China made anyone know?
diodati is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2013, 11:01 AM   #22
Joshua M
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
I think I'm going with this 9+1 port Anker hub, unless someone here has a negative experience with the quality or speed:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A294P4X9EWVXLJ

It's a bit more expensive at $60, but the additional ports and the fact that it will be visible on my desk make it "worth" the extra value to me.

FYI, the HooToo one is on sale for $30 later today at Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellS...7&et_rid=77528
Joshua M is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2014, 07:21 PM   #23
jgarvas
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua M View Post
I think I'm going with this 9+1 port Anker hub, unless someone here has a negative experience with the quality or speed:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A294P4X9EWVXLJ

It's a bit more expensive at $60, but the additional ports and the fact that it will be visible on my desk make it "worth" the extra value to me.
Not sure if you purchased yet, but the Anker 7 port here is incredibly small and the ports are at the "desk" level instead of pointing up into the air. The entire unit isn't as tall as an external super drive.

http://www.amazon.com/Anker%C2%AE-Us.../dp/B00B7GAE98

The only downside I've found so far is my Canon 9000F flatbed scanner isn't detected through this. I'm not sure if that is the scanners fault or the hub yet.

Beware that some of the Anker units have been known to have bad power regulators on the dedicated power ports. They're meant to charge a USB device but end up putting out 12VDC. If you're even thinking of using the dedicated power ports I'd put a meter on them to make sure they're not going to fry your toys.
jgarvas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2014, 08:32 AM   #24
Bear
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sol III - Terra
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgarvas View Post
Not sure if you purchased yet, but the Anker 7 port here is incredibly small and the ports are at the "desk" level instead of pointing up into the air. The entire unit isn't as tall as an external super drive.

http://www.amazon.com/Anker%C2%AE-Us.../dp/B00B7GAE98

The only downside I've found so far is my Canon 9000F flatbed scanner isn't detected through this. I'm not sure if that is the scanners fault or the hub yet.

Beware that some of the Anker units have been known to have bad power regulators on the dedicated power ports. They're meant to charge a USB device but end up putting out 12VDC. If you're even thinking of using the dedicated power ports I'd put a meter on them to make sure they're not going to fry your toys.
Between some devices not being recognized and the voltage issue, I wouldn't recommend the Anker to anyone. I wouldn't trust any port to have the proper voltage.
__________________
-----Bear
Bear is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2014, 09:47 AM   #25
Nabans
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mumbai, India
I had used the maxpro usb hub (sorry I couldn't get a link, you have to search for it) and used it for about 4 years. It cost me about $7 and had 7 ports. Worked good enough until one day it stopped working and I think 4 years is worth the money I paid. Maybe you should consider that.
__________________
Use it to its full potential, I mean, use the money from which you bought your iPad. The best iPad video lessons known.
Nabans is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
USB 2 hub or USB 3 HUB for charging? MiniD3 Mac Peripherals 7 Nov 28, 2013 09:12 AM
usb 3.0 hub Sturgeon boy iMac 27 Oct 26, 2013 04:31 PM
Dell Monitor USB Hub (USB 1.1) DanTesla1 Mac Peripherals 2 Sep 30, 2013 09:58 PM
USB Hub spin360 Mac Peripherals 12 Aug 23, 2013 10:38 AM
USB 2.0 device performance through USB 3.0 hub Morien Mac Peripherals 4 Jul 4, 2012 05:46 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:59 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC